Defender 110 SW Expedition Engine

gjohnson405

Hiya there, im new to this forum so my apologies if this is a repeat question.

I'm looking to do my first Defender rebuild. I know that I will want to use it as both a daily runner vehicle aswell as a long distance expedition vehicle. I will agree that the 300tdi and 200tdi engines are great for Overlanding because of their few electronics and plentiful spare parts. However, with a fully laden expedition vehicle, larger tires, etc, I don't believe (I have also read) that the 300tdi and 200tdi engines will be a bit lacking in power. I'm not hugely keen on the td5 either.

So my question is, what would be the best Diesel engine to put into a defender. It needs to have few electronics, be simple to fix, powerful and also not too fuel inefficient. I know, asking a lot!

A couple extra notes, I would rather not do an lpg conversion, plus my plan was to not use stock transmission or axles either - I was going to do a complete drive chain upgrade.

Thanks so much for your help everyone! Keep doing what your doing! :)

George.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Where are you planning to go?

The TD5 is a great engine, but does have an ECU. So you want to be near a city or big town if you need help to fix it. The reality though is that the ECU is probably the most reliable part of the truck as long as you have a later harness to prevent oil migration up the harness into the ECU.

The 200/300 are both simple. They have adequate power to push the truck as fast as is safe for a loaded defender, as long as your gearing is set up correctly.

I'd go for a 300tdi with R380 tranny, 3.54 gearing in the axles, 255/85R16 tires, an oversized Alisport intercooler, and an Overdrive.

Lots of power, reliable, parts everywhere, good highway speeds, lots of torque, etc

gjohnson405

Hi there Ray

Thank you for your response. It was very well informed. My plan is to do a fair bit of driving in Europe and hopefully an expedition across Africa and maybe also the Pan American High way. Dream big yeah?! :).

So in your opinion there is no better alternative to the 300/200?

I have heard of a conversion Icon do to a ford 3.2 Tdci puma. Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

George.

Last edited:

redneck44

Adventurer
If you want to "upgrade" everything, axles, gearbox, suspension etc just buy a different vehicle. I'm in the UK but I'm seriously looking at an F250/F350 for going places, only problem is they are completely useless for greenlaning etc, but being a left hooker they are great for europe travel.
Sticking with land rover a tweak of the 200/300 fuel pump adds a bit of extra go, maybe an intercooler upgrade. If you are going for much larger tyres (why, has to be asked though) then get a 1.6 transfer box from a military Defender. I added a lift and larger tyres to my 200tdi disco, slowed acceleration and wallowed like a supertanker.
p.s what is "fully laden expedition vehicle" how much stuff are you expecting to take.

madtom

I'm currently modiffying Defender 130 TD5 from pickup to station wagon, because our current Discovery 2 TD5 is a bit small for travelling in 4 (with 2 children). 300 tdi is going to be a bit old -the engine, and the car (rust). TD5 has a bit bigger power, and you can upgrade it easily with some remap. TD4 is no way for me - with not high quality diesel fuel here in East Europe common rail injectors will die soon or later, and repair is quite expensive. In Africa in will be probably even worse.
To my surprise TD5 injectors have not these problems.

I'm planning to use 255/85/R16 tires, R380 manual gearbox, LT230 auxiliary gearbox with 1:1.4 ratio, HD gears in diffs with 3.8 ratio and overdrive.
So I'll have a bit slower main gears, with overdrive making it a bit faster for road cruising. And remapped TD5 have enough power, even for loaded Def 130 with max. total weigh 3500kg.

I'was looking for a car bigget than Discovery 2, and Def 130 with loong cab is one solution. I need sleeping inside for 2 and roof tent for another 2. In Discovery 2 I have this, but every evening it tooks 1 hour to prepare the internall sleeping. The car is too small for 4. Remaped TD5 has enough power, but LT230 whith 1.2 ratio and 235/85/R16 tires are a bit too fast. Nice for highway, but not the best for slow roads in hills.

TD5 is mechanically wery easy engine, wit lot of parts "moved" in engine ECU. ECU is small and easy to have a spare one.

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
Keep it as standard as possible if you're going 'abroad' with it.

If you 'need' to modify it that much, then (imho) you need to look at another vehicle .......

Timo K

Observer
The amount of TD5's with head gasket issues is stupid. Plus the ECU oil migration issue. Plus the lack of low rpm torque. I realy consider it to be a stupid alternative to a 300Tdi. With the money involved in swapping the engine, you're just better off going through the 300Tdi. You can get good power with a new Variable Geometry Turbo and bigger intercooler, not mess with reliability, and you basically have the best of both worlds... 3.2 Puma swap into an early Defender can be done, but it's a massive job and as someone said before, just buy the right vehicle to begin with.

Just get something simple mate, replace whats worn and save your money for doing awesome stuff whilst your away.

The 200/300tdi engines are beautifully simple and will go on forever. You're in the UK so you should be able to find a decent one. The TD5 pulls a bit more but has more electrics beyond that I dislike the engines on principle :). I personally prefer the 200tdi. Don't forget that these are old vehicles and the 'numbers' they had when they came off the production line are pretty much academic.

If you want my advise keep it as standard as possible, the more you fiddle around with remapping and tweaking the pumps etc the more will go wrong when you're in the middle of no where. If your going somewhere like Africa/Asia, where no one is coming to get you, I would seriously think twice about fiddling with its power output or bolting on aftermarket upgrades etc - it's asking for trouble and not in anyway necessary. Plus the simpler you keep it the easier it will be for some bush mechanic to fix it for you.

I took a 200tdi around India last year and it couldn't have been better. Replaced what needed replacing with OEM parts and added a few luxuries. Job done.

GrahamR

I have done many miles with Tdi engines, in a 110 defender, a series 1 Discovery and a Range Rover classic. I have also had a couple of TD5 Discovery's. With the 300Tdi, even though they are basic and very reliable, I do have occasional problems with ancillaries and clutches. At the moment my 110 is out of action due to a clutch issue. This is after carefully rebuilding the clutch system not long ago, due to a collapsed thrust bearing. A broken clutch arm has incapacitated has a 200TDi Range Rover I once had. I have also had issues with 300 Tdi's when a water pump boss spun on the shaft, and also a cam belt breaking once which was my own fault as I rebuild as it had been running which was not correct. It should have had the modified crankshaft sprocket fitted. One point to consider is that the 300TDi and TD5 have serpentine belts which means if you have an ancillary problem, all the ancillaries are disabled, whereas the 200 Tdi has individual belts, so if say the alternator packs up, you still have a water pump circulating.This means you can still drive the vehicle. The TD5 discovery has let us down with a clutch release bearing failing, and then a few weeks later a cylinder head gasket letting go due to the dowels collapsing. The TD5, once you get used to the lack of low down torque is nice to drive and is also a very clean. The 300's do leak oil and one I have always puffs an anti social cloud of black smoke on start up. If my trip means travelling under 60 mph I prefer the 300 TDi to drive, over 60 mph it's the TD5. I think, at when all the analysis has been done, the important thing is to have an engine that has been well built with good quality parts and is well maintained and suits the task you want it to do, and is standard so you can easily get parts.

paulnb57

Observer
300tdi gets my vote. Keep it standard for parts availability/ease of maintenance when away. Many many laden Defenders have travelled the known world with no issues, go for a tdi and spend your engine conversion budget on other equipment.

Paul

DividingCreek

Explorer
However, with a fully laden expedition vehicle, larger tires, etc, I don't believe (I have also read) that the 300tdi and 200tdi engines will be a bit lacking in power.

It needs to have few electronics, be simple to fix, powerful and also not too fuel inefficient. .

Not sure of your definitions but a tdi defender with 1.4 tcase on 33 inch tyres with roof rack and loaded with spares and recovery equipment will climb any mountain, run 80 on the flats, etc.

DividingCreek

Explorer
Hi there Ray

So in your opinion there is no better alternative to the 300/200?

I have heard of a conversion Icon do to a ford 3.2 Tdci puma. .

There are less than a handful of these conversions, they incorporate loads of custom made parts, and if an electronic bit goes will you transport the truck back to the midlands from Africa so Bell Automotive can trouble shoot it ? I think you have answered you own questions.

Dervish

Isuzu 4BD1-T. You can think of it as a 3.9 litre 300tdi. Found across the world in Isuzu trucks up to 8 tonne capacity. No timing belt to break and not even remotely stressed pushing a Defender loaded up to GVM about.

Here in Australia, Land Rover was kind enough to put them into 110s for us at the factory. Perhaps you could import one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles