Defender 110 - buyers guide

superbuickguy

Explorer
I'm going to look at a 1993(or 5) Defender 110. It's a Turkish import. Runs, drives, leaks, doesn't have the 200 or 300 tdi (which doesn't matter to me). Outside of engine issues and rust - is there anything specific I should look at or be aware of in buying one?
I've imported a bunch of motors and cars - and I'm satisfied it's a legit grey market car.

and the plan is a to-the-frame restomod.

JackW

Explorer
Check to make sure it's got a stubby 380 gearbox so you can do the Robert Davis six cylinder Chevy engine swap. Other than that check frame, firewall and doors for rust.

superbuickguy

Explorer
planning on a Cummins 2.8 swap. I had a Disco that I swapped in a 300tdi and R380, so I've got dangerous-levels of inexperience with them.
any thought about common, first-to-rust areas? this one, despite being Turkish built, does have the typical oil dispensing system to protect the undercarriage from rust... but I'm bringing my bore scope to do a more thorough look

superbuickguy

Explorer
:ROFLMAO: Is that the same oil dispensing system that I hear Harley-Davidsons have?

yep, and VW bugs as well.
I have a friend who just got his buggy running after 9 years, and I told him that was just in time as all the oil his Vdub had dropped on the ground before needed to be refreshed...

it is a convenient way to know when you need to add oil - if it's not leaking, it needs to be refilled ;)

rlynch356

Defyota
with the Turkish trucks you should really look at the build quality, many of them are pretty sketchy - I would take a screw driver and check the frame very good (I've seen bondo and then undercoating, if possible look inside the doors at the frames, behind the dash, etc.
these trucks were built under license from LR normally as knock down kits and many got interesting modifications over the years.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I found this great article about defenders when I was looking at buying one(still and but when I get back to Australia)

https://loaded4x4.com.au/the-ultimate-land-rover-defender-buying-guide/
thank you (edited the link, it works ;) )
with the Turkish trucks you should really look at the build quality, many of them are pretty sketchy - I would take a screw driver and check the frame very good (I've seen bondo and then undercoating, if possible look inside the doors at the frames, behind the dash, etc.
these trucks were built under license from LR normally as knock down kits and many got interesting modifications over the years.
I've looked at a few now, those issues I've seen on 6 figure vehicles (I'd never spend that much for one, however, I wanted a baseline to get an idea of what 'great' looks like). bulkhead and frame are super-important..... that said, this will be a to-the-frame-every-last-nut-removed build - which means there will be more then a bit of entertainment value for all of you to follow along with as I dive deep into this pool....

I still have questions at how 'knocked-down' they were. Those tiny delivery vans came from Turkey - and they just don't have an interior or drivetrain - but are pretty much a bolt-back-together when they arrive.... was knock-down more then shipping the body on one pallet, then the chassis on another and the interior in a box? I suppose my line would be if there was fabrication required.... I know it has a different motor - but I don't care because I'm not using it - ... thinking outloud.... thank you for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles