Defective fuel gauge - looking for some advice

gxgn

Observer
Hello, the 1999 Montego I just got has a defective fuel gauge: when the tank is full it shows less than a half and after 80 miles or so it drops to 0. Has anyone had this issue and found a fix?
Do you know a good electrician in Orange County that can take care of this?

I have a few other minor issues that you might be able to point me to the right fix:
1. Some of the lights on the instrument cluster don't work
a) showing all 4 wheels in green when in 4H
b) showing what gear was selected
c) showing when rear diff is locked

2. Slow moving passenger window

3. Slow moving sunroof when it's cold

Another non-electrical issues that drives me nuts are the side mirrors, they are very wobbly. I did some research here, somebody mentioned zip ties but I don't know where these would fit. I hear there is an adjustment screw but i think the driver side might have something broken, it seems too lose.

Thank you guys!
george

jlocster

Explorer
Fuel gauge sender --> link

Cluster lights --> link

Slow moving window: Remove door card, clean and grease window tracks

Slow moving sunroof: Open roof, clean and grease roof tracks

Side mirrors: Bottom of mirror housing has a hole, in the hole is a phillips head screw, turn to tighten. If that doesn't work the plastic threads, or plastic tabs that locate mirror glass in housing are possibly broken requiring mirror glass to be unscrewed/removed and then fastened to the housing via zip ties, bailing wire, etc.

gxgn

Observer
This is great, thank you jlocster! This might be easier than I thought if the fuel gauge sender replac Kent fixes the issue!

RyanY

Adventurer
Side mirrors: Bottom of mirror housing has a hole, in the hole is a phillips head screw, turn to tighten. If that doesn't work the plastic threads, or plastic tabs that locate mirror glass in housing are possibly broken requiring mirror glass to be unscrewed/removed and then fastened to the housing via zip ties, bailing wire, etc.

Remove the mirror glass as stated, but slather all of the mounting points with hot glue and reassemble. Mine have been holding for 8+ years now after that repair.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Remove the mirror glass as stated, but slather all of the mounting points with hot glue and reassemble. Mine have been holding for 8+ years now after that repair.

Great idea using a hot glue gun!

I resecured my driver side mirror with 3M VHB tape...worked a treat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online