Dedicated Starlink and mobile 4/5G thread

palebluewanders

Starlink RV is available to order already! https://www.starlink.com/rv

I'm tempted to order it already and have it shipped to AV so they can plan the driver's cab roof space around it.

But currently it's not (supposed to be) for use while in motion. Just not sure if there will be a hardware upgrade later for that?

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Starlink RV is available to order already! https://www.starlink.com/rv

I'm tempted to order it already and have it shipped to AV so they can plan the driver's cab roof space around it.

But currently it's not (supposed to be) for use while in motion. Just not sure if there will be a hardware upgrade later for that?

Well, we cannot order in Norway until 2023 :(

I am thinking the same, maybe a Dome enclosure for protection with some type of telescoping action to put above the habitat box?... I am sort of kicking myself now for giving away the light tower we had on the firetruck (pneumatic telescoping). But in reality it was far too big large..

You can fins replacement domes and parts for the KING product range pretty easily, no idea about dimensions an what type of interference they might have on the phase array, my instinct would be practical testing rather than theorising.
1653390792141.png

Attachments

• 1653390485655.png
    1653390485655.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 8

palebluewanders

It can be shipped to AV at any time, so that's always an option I guess. But I'm inclined to wait for news about the version that can be mounted to a moving vehicle without voiding the warranty.

This seems to just be an RV roaming plan using the same dish as before. Maybe as a stopgap until the real mobile version is out.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I would not be worried about having access when driving, but it seems we have to wait a while before we get coverage where we like to go in Australia. There is no coverage north of Brisbane at the moment.
Starlink.jpg

clydeps

There is no coverage north of Brisbane at the moment.

Well, you can't order the system for most of Qld north of Bundaberg, but I'm pretty sure there is actual service available up the east coast as far as maybe Cairns - there are certainly ground stations in central and north Queensland. If you look carefully on the map you will see there are some random single open cells in west and north Qld - near Emerald, Mackay and Richmond for example.

Service over the NT and the north of WA appears to be unreliable as it would rely on the new satellites with optical links, but it does seem probable all of Australia gets some service at least intermittently.

I presume, but have not verified, that with Portability on you will get whatever service is available at your location even if it's not an officially open cell. Even a minute on and a few minutes off would be useful in remote locations.

Anyway it's only going to get better.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Well, you can't order the system for most of Qld north of Bundaberg, but I'm pretty sure there is actual service available up the east coast as far as maybe Cairns - there are certainly ground stations in central and north Queensland. If you look carefully on the map you will see there are some random single open cells in west and north Qld - near Emerald, Mackay and Richmond for example.

Service over the NT and the north of WA appears to be unreliable as it would rely on the new satellites with optical links, but it does seem probable all of Australia gets some service at least intermittently.

I presume, but have not verified, that with Portability on you will get whatever service is available at your location even if it's not an officially open cell. Even a minute on and a few minutes off would be useful in remote locations.

Anyway it's only going to get better.
Yes, seems like it will be quite useful in the future, I will look at getting one when we have a long trip planned, have to look at whether I can supsend the service for long periods when we don't need it. I read somewhere that it is possible, just need to confirm that.

clydeps

The brand new RV plan allows you to suspend the service on a month-by-month basis so that would be perfect for you. I asked if I could switch to that but right now it's only available on new orders, and even when they do allow switching it will work only with the [] dish not the round one I put on the truck. The [] dish has some advantages, but is harder to do a fixed mount since the motors and pole are not readily removed, but some people have done that. It is smaller so much easier to stow in a locker e.g.

Anyway, I got the install completed today and did some tests - works pretty well. Speed is a little less than I was seeing when installed on the house but still very good (90 down) and on a short drive it held up well, only dropping out briefly under full tree canopy.

Power usage from 12V for the dish when idle looks to be about 40W, which is quite acceptable given it can just be turned off when not in use. Bootup from cold to online is about 5 minutes.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Probably have to be installed so that people aren't able to be surfing the net whilst driving down the road. People over here can't be trusted with a phone.

palebluewanders

Probably have to be installed so that people aren't able to be surfing the net whilst driving down the road. People over here can't be trusted with a phone.

It's a radiation safety thing. If I understand correctly they just have to install it somewhere where the dish won't ever be pointing at anyone. Seems like most DIYers would do the right thing anyway, unless they have a rooftop deck where they stand in the way of the dish or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles