Decking

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I want to put some form of decking on top of my rack. It will have a dual purpose of providing shade to bed and cab (dual roof like a Land Rover) and as a platform. Platform would be used for fair weather sleeping area to an observation deck. My weight then will either be distributed over a large area while prone or be massed underfoot. Thus needing to be strong.

Any suggestions for a strong, lightweight, weather resistant material? With out any extra framework the biggest span is 2.5ft x 3.5 feet.

Thanks.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I'll be doing the same thing. Most popular choices seem to be chicken coupe flooring (for porous applications) or Marine Starboard (for solid).

Hootowl

Observer
A plastic grating is a great material for this decking application but is going to cost more than the options mentioned so far. Grainger www.grainger.com has a number of configurations for example.

Grating-4AUA2_AS01.JPG

justinhw

Adventurer
does chicken coop flooring (or kennel flooring) bend much under stress? My roof rack (con-ferr 5'x7') only has a few horizontal supports and a lot of empty space.

jatibb

Adventurer
seen the farm-tek used. nice and cheap. i bought some of this http://www.swapinc.com/kenneltuff.asp but never got around to it. i have used it for lots of other things though. pretty stiff but still flexy enough to bend. got it through a cofers. contacted kennel tuffs rep for the area and they delivered it to cofers landscaping supply. grainger stuff? jeez 2" thick and $$$$$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94