Deck restorer vs bedliner for plywood

whitenoise

Adventurer
Hi guys,

I would like to get thoughts and experiences from people who have used deck restoration coating products like Olympic Rescue It (Lowe's), Behr Deckover (Home Depot) or Rust-Oleum Restore 4x/10x.
I have a set of Baltic Birch drawers that will be installed inside my 100 series LC and would like to get good abrasion resistance for the top and inside of the drawers. What I don't like about urethane based products like bedliner is 1. Cost, 2. smell that takes weeks to clear out, and 3. the prep required.

I am assuming that the deck paint stuff being water-based and meant specifically for wood, besides being meant to be walked on, is as well-suited if not better. Maybe I'm wrong?

Specific info like what prep you did, which brand, and how it was held up over time would be really useful. Thanks!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I used the Behr Deckover stuff on some duck blinds a couple of years ago because I could get it in colors that worked for my purposes. It's a pain to work with in tight spaces and I won't use it again if I can avoid it. I have used Rust-O-Leum roll on and spray on bed liner on other projects and painted it, and prefer that product and method. If black is OK, go with bed liner.

Not sure how may trips it will hold up to, but I coated mine with rubber undercoating from Rustolium. Keeps stuff from sliding around on it.
Its been there for 4 weeks and held up to some abuse.

Painted with primer, coat of semi-gloss black rustolium.
Painted with undercoating.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Haven't had long-term success with either. I'm thinking 'horse stall mat', next time. Currently have indoor / outdoor carpet on my storage platform.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Thank you all for the input. How much is long term and under what conditions? This drawer system isn't going to see full outdoor usage, maybe some splashes of water at most.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Polyurethane floor "varnish" multiple coats has held up for 12 years in my work truck. The only area that is showing any abuse is the front of the compartment that the shovels ride in. The bottom of the compartments are covered in plastic floor runner
41a9608efa0b2a0d440f450dab1f1e20.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a painted Rust-O-Leum bed liner on an aluminum crossbed tool box that I coated maybe 12 years ago and have not touched up since. It has been out in the weather for about six years on a duck blind and there is no peeling, inside or out. Worked better than expected. A friend used bed liner to coat some plywood jack pads that he carries in the back of an open truck and they have held up fine.

Lucky j

Explorer
I have the Behr deckover on the outside of my drawer system. Been very tough so far. It is behind my jeep, in the sun and dust all summer long. i travel top down as much as I can. The nly draw back, is that the anti slip surface is almost abrasive. So I have not put it inside my drawe yet. A more rubberrized coating could be a bit better for my gear.

But so far, It is holding really well.

Some company make colored bed liner and sel by the gallon.

whitenoise

Adventurer
Ok so I spoke with the Rust-Oleum & Olympic tech guys. They both said do NOT use deck restorer indoors, even inside a vehicle. When pressed about why, he said these products contain additives for mildew prevention that could outgas over time. He did not use the word toxic or carcinogenic but I assume that's what he meant. Also that these are meant for pressure-treated lumber so they don't add any waterproof or abrasion resistant properties by themselves. So this leaves me with either poly or some type of good indoor/outdoor acrylic latex paint. Bedliner is nice but heavy and expensive.

Lucky j

Explorer
Ok so I spoke with the Rust-Oleum & Olympic tech guys. They both said do NOT use deck restorer indoors, even inside a vehicle. When pressed about why, he said these products contain additives for mildew prevention that could outgas over time. He did not use the word toxic or carcinogenic but I assume that's what he meant. Also that these are meant for pressure-treated lumber so they don't add any waterproof or abrasion resistant properties by themselves. So this leaves me with either poly or some type of good indoor/outdoor acrylic latex paint. Bedliner is nice but heavy and expensive.

I dd not see any warning on the deck restorer I used. But in case, The drawer system I used it on is in my mostly open top jeep LJ. So not to worry about emanation. But worth consider for others.

But still wonder. If you use it, it is because your pressure treated lumner is kind of not protected anymore. In my case, still as beautiful as new, from 2 years ago and exposed to elements on my system.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Another option that has not been mentioned is marine paint.

This is designed for wood just as polyurethane or spar varnish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles