Decisions...'18 XC, Ranger, or older used?

kylwalsh

Hi Everyone,

First post here, so I appreciate your patience. I'm about 6 months out from the end of a 2018 Crosstrek lease and have delved into deciding whether/how to replace it. It's been a great ride, and leasing was extremely helpful at the time. I'm living in ~central CO now, and have run into plenty of dirt road moments that I don't want to contineu in with the XC. I'm considering the '19/'20 Ranger as a replacement, or tracking down a 1990' 4runner or wranlger to handle the rugged local roads and occasional trips while keeping the Crosstrek.

I like the idea of a single vehicle that can do most of what I'd want. I'd love to hear some thoughts from this group on whether a truck build out with the new ranger (or other suggestions :) ) would be worth the extra dough - which I understand is very personal. I'm looking at ~$8-9k more over 5 years to go with a new or very lightly used truck vs. the buyout on this Subaru. The notes in this forum of folks getting a ranger for $10+ below sticker seem like unicorns, but would give me some hope.

I'll always feel limited in the Crosstrek...maybe I'm too cautious a driver backcountry roads? Is it really worth it to kit out a subaru (lift, skids, actual full size spare) vs. spending on something that is more capable in its stock form?

Any thoughts the community has come greatly appreciated. Vehicle buying stresses me out like no other!

phsycle

Adventurer
Hi Everyone,

First post here, so I appreciate your patience. I'm about 6 months out from the end of a 2018 Crosstrek lease and have delved into deciding whether/how to replace it. It's been a great ride, and leasing was extremely helpful at the time. I'm living in ~central CO now, and have run into plenty of dirt road moments that I don't want to contineu in with the XC. I'm considering the '19/'20 Ranger as a replacement, or tracking down a 1990' 4runner or wranlger to handle the rugged local roads and occasional trips while keeping the Crosstrek.

I like the idea of a single vehicle that can do most of what I'd want. I'd love to hear some thoughts from this group on whether a truck build out with the new ranger (or other suggestions :) ) would be worth the extra dough - which I understand is very personal. I'm looking at ~$8-9k more over 5 years to go with a new or very lightly used truck vs. the buyout on this Subaru. The notes in this forum of folks getting a ranger for $10+ below sticker seem like unicorns, but would give me some hope.

I'll always feel limited in the Crosstrek...maybe I'm too cautious a driver backcountry roads? Is it really worth it to kit out a subaru (lift, skids, actual full size spare) vs. spending on something that is more capable in its stock form?

Any thoughts the community has come greatly appreciated. Vehicle buying stresses me out like no other!

Do you have family? Other passengers?

Personally, moving to a truck would be my advice. Your Crosstrek is capable but limited in many ways. Especially some of those high elevation trails you’ve got out there in CO. Having that low range means less stress, wear and tear on your rig and the trail.

There are several choices for a midsize truck but given your price range, I’d go for a Ranger XL super cab. Add a rear locker and tow package. Should be able to get one for $26k or so. Look on cargurus. This will get through a LOT of trails in Colorado. Turbo engine will also mean plenty of power when you’re up at 13k ft.

kylwalsh

Thanks for the reply! That's about exactly what I've been looking at. I have fiancée, no kids, hope to have a dog within the year. I have very rarely ever needed to seat more than 2 people, and don't expect to for the foreseeable future.

I've been looking at the Ranger XL supercab with the FX4 add on - seems worth while just for stock AT tires and skid plates, even if they're not super rugged. It's more than I have now. Also looking at lightly used (~50k mi or less) Frontier's, but for the money, and given Ford incentives as of late, it's a toss up for me. I also like the idea of the long bed for sleeping setups.

My guess is that the difference between the XC buyout and a new or late model Frontier/Ranger/similar is about what I would end up spending over the years on a used adventure-mobile e.g. Jeep TJ, XJ, 4runner, or xterra, given purchase and various repairs or upgrades over time. Maybe i'm over estimating?

I'm also unreasonably unsure of used cars that aren't fairly recent/low mileage. Prior the Crosstrek, I maintained and repaired a '99 Forester for many years until the engine failed just over 200k miles. Head gaskets, steering rack, every wheel bearing, both font CV axles (5x!), radiator, water pump (3x!) - with much of this work was done twice on warranty, sometimes more than once...from more than one shop...it was a rough few years and makes me over cautious on the used market.

Never considered a truck before, but as you mentioned, it would seem to take much less wear over time than the Crosstrek on these rocky local roads and longer backcountry trips. A recent drive along part of Mosquito Pass in the XC seemed to rattle it apart - sounded like my old Forester ;) - but again, it's quite possible I'm too cautious...

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply! That's about exactly what I've been looking at. I have fiancée, no kids, hope to have a dog within the year. I have very rarely ever needed to seat more than 2 people, and don't expect to for the foreseeable future.

I've been looking at the Ranger XL supercab with the FX4 add on - seems worth while just for stock AT tires and skid plates, even if they're not super rugged. It's more than I have now. Also looking at lightly used (~50k mi or less) Frontier's, but for the money, and given Ford incentives as of late, it's a toss up for me. I also like the idea of the long bed for sleeping setups.

My guess is that the difference between the XC buyout and a new or late model Frontier/Ranger/similar is about what I would end up spending over the years on a used adventure-mobile e.g. Jeep TJ, XJ, 4runner, or xterra, given purchase and various repairs or upgrades over time. Maybe i'm over estimating?

I'm also unreasonably unsure of used cars that aren't fairly recent/low mileage. Prior the Crosstrek, I maintained and repaired a '99 Forester for many years until the engine failed just over 200k miles. Head gaskets, steering rack, every wheel bearing, both font CV axles (5x!), radiator, water pump (3x!) - with much of this work was done twice on warranty, sometimes more than once...from more than one shop...it was a rough few years and makes me over cautious on the used market.

Never considered a truck before, but as you mentioned, it would seem to take much less wear over time than the Crosstrek on these rocky local roads and longer backcountry trips. A recent drive along part of Mosquito Pass in the XC seemed to rattle it apart - sounded like my old Forester ;) - but again, it's quite possible I'm too cautious...

The only thing I don’t like about the FX4 is you have to upgrade to 101A. But if you’re going to do that anyway, then it’s worth it. For me, if I were getting one, I’d just get a rear locker (and tow pkg). One other worthwhile add on may be the keypad at $95.

You wouldn’t have to do much, if anything, to get yourself adventure ready. Probably just couple sleeping bags, gas, water, and food.

I ventured around the Ouray area in a stock Tacoma with no issues. Place that in no way I could take my wife’s old Subaru.

Used could be a good option as well, but when I look at pricing, doesn’t compute. Used market is crazy right now. Only a couple grand less than a brand new truck.

kylwalsh

Thanks, phsycle - super helpful to hear about your trip in the Ouray area! I'm pretty well sold on the Ranger, but having tracked down a small handful of XL SuperCabs with FX4 (seems like worthwhile deal) or even just the rear diff...not finding a price that I can stomach - e.g. under $30k.

Found a bunch of used crewcabs with the off road package or a great deal, so I'm deciding whether the shortbed is a worthwhile tradeoff for my camper build. Also checking out some late model Frontier's, where there are a few Pro4X's around. Pricing is reasonably discounted for used, but over 3-5 years? Might be nice to have a fresher vehicle.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks, phsycle - super helpful to hear about your trip in the Ouray area! I'm pretty well sold on the Ranger, but having tracked down a small handful of XL SuperCabs with FX4 (seems like worthwhile deal) or even just the rear diff...not finding a price that I can stomach - e.g. under $30k.

Found a bunch of used crewcabs with the off road package or a great deal, so I'm deciding whether the shortbed is a worthwhile tradeoff for my camper build. Also checking out some late model Frontier's, where there are a few Pro4X's around. Pricing is reasonably discounted for used, but over 3-5 years? Might be nice to have a fresher vehicle.

Should be plenty available under $30k. As an example (‘20 STX w FX4 for $28k):

If you broaden the search to nationwide, you’d probably get an even better deal.

kylwalsh

Thanks! I've actually been working with the dealer on that truck...frustrating experience so far in that there are a lot of caveats to that advertised price. The initial quote back from them was about $6k north of that online price. We'll see!

There are a bunch of XLT Crew Cabs with the FX4 package available from AVIS much closer to me. All in the mid-high 20k mi range and all around $27-$28. They're good deals for the market, so I'm mulling over the short bed tradeoff. Seems to be a lot of options to extend a sleeping area on a 5' bed.

85_Ranger4x4

There are a bunch of XLT Crew Cabs with the FX4 package available from AVIS much closer to me. All in the mid-high 20k mi range and all around $27-$28. They're good deals for the market, so I'm mulling over the short bed tradeoff. Seems to be a lot of options to extend a sleeping area on a 5' bed.

Depending on what you are thinking of keep in mind Ford doesn't recommend a slide in camper in the back of a crew cab. It does make sense with the axle clear to the front of the bed though.

That was the final nail in the coffin for me getting a newer Ranger.

kylwalsh

Thanks for the head sup, as that's definitely a limiter in the future. For now, my main goal is to have a simple platform bed setup, and extend as needed to sleep two, and have more off-road capability and confidence without sacrificing too much in the way of mpg and road trip comfort compared with the XV. Ranger seems like a solid compromise on that front, though I'm still second guessing that and looking over alternatives. I've dreamed of GFC setup, but it's either a truck/suv or one of those...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thanks for the head sup, as that's definitely a limiter in the future. For now, my main goal is to have a simple platform bed setup, and extend as needed to sleep two, and have more off-road capability and confidence without sacrificing too much in the way of mpg and road trip comfort compared with the XV. Ranger seems like a solid compromise on that front, though I'm still second guessing that and looking over alternatives. I've dreamed of GFC setup, but it's either a truck/suv or one of those...
Something like one of these maybe?
Tent_3.jpg
Capture.PNG

phsycle

Adventurer

Ranger seems to have the best payload among other midsize trucks. I like your idea of keeping it simple with a topper and a sleeping platform. I’d go with a high rise shell though.

If you need to sleep two, 6’ bed would definitely be ideal. Surprised dealers aren’t willing to deal on extended cabs. Search nationwide on that cargurus site. I’d bet you’d get a better deal back East anyway. Then it’s a fun road trip back.

I have almost 40,000 on my Ranger crew cab. I love it but kind of wish I would have gone with a XL and a locker instead of the XLT FX4 but overall I love the truck. I put a Softopper on it and the DAC tent extender and camp in it up to 4 nights a week (I'm regional staff for Parks and Wildlife so not near home often). I've only used the trail control a couple of times just to play with it and it does seem to work well but I've never really needed it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have almost 40,000 on my Ranger crew cab. I love it but kind of wish I would have gone with a XL and a locker instead of the XLT FX4 but overall I love the truck. I put a Softopper on it and the DAC tent extender and camp in it up to 4 nights a week (I'm regional staff for Parks and Wildlife so not near home often). I've only used the trail control a couple of times just to play with it and it does seem to work well but I've never really needed it.
Why do you wish you had gone XL with locker instead of XLT FX4?

phsycle

Adventurer

Never tried the trail control on the Ranger but the Crawl Control in my Tacoma was a one time use gimmick. Almost got car sick testing it out.

I kept telling myself after that, I’d have gone with an SR Tacoma with a rear locker. Nothing else. No Navi, alloy rims, stupid flares and trim. Just a basic truck. Too bad Toyota doesn’t offer a locker by itself.

Only thing missing on the Ford is a stick shift. MT88 from the Bronco would be awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles