Decision time. Trail Comm with CB required per 4x4 club. Upcoming changes, need WX.

dbhost

So I can manage with my old gear. I know not a lot of CB love here, I am guessing a lot of licensed amateur radio operators here. Just FWIW, CB is typically the gateway to amateur radio so there is that, but to the point...

My 4x4 club requires CB, no questions asked. They have considered GMRS and rejected it.

I have a Realistic TRC-465 40channel AM/SSB radio that works really well. Basically a rebranded Uniden from the early 90s. Early 2000s Road Devil mic pinned for the Realistic pin out.

I have SS 102" whip, spring, mount etc.. AND a Wilson Little Wil mag mount. I guess I can use Little Wil....

WX radio is a handhel 3 channel Realistic Weatherradio Alert model 12-143B from the same time frame as the TRC-465.

I am torn between updating to a Uniden Bearcat 980ssb. I can re-pin the mic to the 6 pin Uniden mic input.

The other option is reuse the older stuff, but I want to upgrade to a 7 channel WX radio. To my knowledge the newer channels are in use outside of further along the coast. Not sure but I know a hunting buddy of mine can bring stations in with his 7 channel when my old clunker won't work...

So the question is. Do I just go witht the integrated unit as the truck is going to be where I will need that WX radio anyway, or just save the bucks and get a portable WX radio?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For something simple you could just run a Midland 75-822 that has (AFAIK) all the WX channels built in as well as the CB.

Simple and easy to use, no permanent installation required as all the controls are built into the handset (it's actually a handheld radio but has an adapter that can be plugged into a 12v outlet and you can attach an external antenna onto it as well.)

There are probably 'better' CBs out there but it's been "good enough" for me on quite a few off road and overland trips. For under a hundred bucks it's hard to go wrong.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Most that still maintain CB are probably afraid of the HAM test but it is really simple and there is no longer a Morse code requirement. Many places have a pre test information session that will answer all the questions and the book to take the exam are readily available and not at all difficult. I was able to take the test for free as a veteran but did tip the proctors as many do it out of the goodness of their hearts and do not charge.
If it is not convenient to get a new club, Amazon sells a hand held unit that works just fine. I keep mine in the vehicle as a backup with my extra handheld HAM unit.
The range of CB is very short and almost line of sight, difficult if one is on the other side of a hill 5 miles away. I was very excited to get a HAM setup. Problem with mine is that I had to hold it to the window or out out the window for any communication, seems the vehicle metal of the vehicle interfered with the signal.
Hope your ancient group can get with the 20th century.

Last edited:

roving1

Find another club…CB is dinosaur technology.

I really want to strangle people that won't move on to GMRS in clubs/groups . CB sucks for anything other than interacting with truckers for local info.

For another simple, small, no install, I've had really good results with the https://president-electronics.us/CB-Radios/AM-transceivers/BILL-FCC. The auto-squelch and weather alerts work surprisingly well.

I have this same unit and I swear it works better than both my Cobra 25 and 29 did lol. I as well was amazed how well the auto squelch works even in crazy congested and interference prone environments.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Still a lot of people who have no comms at all (not counting cell phones) and its one thing to have your group decide on gmrs or whatever but its a bit more difficult when Cal4wheel puts on an event that draws people from all over the state, sometimes all over the US.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I rock the CB and have the ham. I use both when I need to I run a Team MiniCom export CB and the Baojunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dbhost

Find another club…CB is dinosaur technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is internal combustion engines, and the wheel... what's your point?

CB Works, everyone in the club has it, and on the trail, unless skip is rolling, interference is non existent.

It strikes me that the anti CB hate is a bit of HAM operator elitism. I am interested in keeping in touch on the trail, not going into radio as a hobby. While there are a few HAMs in our club, the overwhelming majority have no interest beyond trail / road comms. And even with GMRS being fairly common, if you want travel / road condition info, CB is still king.

I have resolved my own issue though. Ordered a 5 way power emergency radio. Solar, USB, 110V, hand crank, and AA battery powered unit with AM/FM/SW, and WX. I know overkill, but I wanted a solar / hand crank combo with analog tuner for ruggedness sake and absolute off grid reliability. Options there are slim...

The old Realistic TRC-465 is going to be reused, and will likely just go with a Little Wil.

Last edited:

roving1

It strikes me that the anti CB hate is a bit of HAM operator elitism. I am interested in keeping in touch on the trail, not going into radio as a hobby.

Never been a HAM. Always owned a CB, mostly due to driving a truck for 20 years. My hatred of CB is in "civilian" use there is such a range of crappy rigged up equipment that never works right and people don't understand how any of it works and is often plagued with ignition noise. Also until recently the equipment was generally bulky and awkward leading to more desire for temporary use which also means often a lot less reliable use since people are trying to chuck a radio in at the last minute. People constantly fall out of range over estimating how far a signal will go. People constantly have their squelch turned up too high leading to confusion and annoyance. This is why people hate CBs IMO after 20 years of the above in group use.

And even with GMRS being fairly common, if you want travel / road condition info, CB is still king.

I still do keep a CB partly for this reason but it should be a complete non-factor in selecting radios for an off-road group. I would still never make CB the default. For random intermittent public use the Internet traffic and weather are just as good or better 99% of the time.

I also dislike the "everyone has CB's argument". Maybe more did 10-15 years ago but these days most people don't have anything or just went out and bought a CB because they were told that's what everyone uses. Be just as easy to break that cycle and tell people to buy better radios that are easier to use and setup for a noob anyways.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have Ham , GMRS and CB radios. Each has it's purpose. I had my CB tuned at a truck stop and it is invaluable on the highway listening to the truckers for entertainment and traffic conditions. I've been saved a couple of times from backups and exited for a detour.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
CB, ham, FRS/GMRS - just use whatever you gotta to communicate with the people you need to. There's pros and cons but that's all it comes down to in the end.

Personally I've found the argument about OTR trucks and CBs to be losing steam. They seem to rely more on cell phones and satellite data & GPS traffic than each other to find alternatives. And since I run APRS I've found a few times truckers watching for close stations and making CQ calls based on the voice frequency you give on your POSIT packets.

Truck drivers who are hams is not as common as CB, but it happens often enough that I've gone ahead and finally removed the CB from my truck for GMRS full time. GMRS is much more common for OHV and 4WD use around here than CB now and since the clubs and annual events I'm likely to be involved have all converted to FRS/GMRS I hadn't used the CB for a couple of years.

From an organizer's perspective it's easier to guarantee everyone will have a basic functioning radio if you require FRS because the worst case is you just hand them a bubble pack radio at the trail head. When they required CB we'd have to verify their radios at check-in and even then it was almost a sure thing that at least one person's would not be working on a trail run. Mobile GMRS (or ham) has some of the same concerns but ham/FRS/GMRS handhelds are generally of higher quality and work well compared to a CB handheld that you might have to hand out.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Ignore all the haters and such. If the club says CB is required then put it in and hit the trails! Put the old CB in along with your weather radio you're all set. Only thing I would change is go for a shorter fiberglass CB antenna. Those steel whips on trails can whip around so violently that they can dent parts of your rig, don't ask me how I know this! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94