Decision time Ford or Dodge

redneck44

Adventurer
Currently have a choice of
'96 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab 4wd 318 Gas, Lifted, standard bed
or
'86 Ford F250 extended cab 2wd 6.9 Oil burner unmolested, long bed

Both are similar mileage and price, I'm looking for a D/D and toy hauler/camping vehicle, not so bothered about offroad as the u.k is getting more and more restricted by the day.

What would your choice be and why.
Not interested in Land rovers, been there done that, I want something I can fit some toys in.

thanks

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I vote the 6.9.

The motor is simple and everything is mechanical. They are also super easy to fix if you have any issues while on the road (easier to fix stuff on the side of the road with bailing wire and duct tape vs having to tow to a service station).
They have their share of common issues like all motors but those issues are pretty easy to tackle.

The main downside of the 6.9....they will get you to your destination but it won't be a fast trip. you can also add turbo to help with higher altitudes and to add some more "fun" to the rig.

you also might do some research over on oilburners.net. I am a member over there and it is a wealth of information on old diesels.

HotrodSmurf

Observer
Ford. I'm a ford nut, but I myself seriously considered a similar era dodge (they are CHEAP). My brother ended up buying one and absolutely hates it. Not even half the truck his worn out bronco was. I thought he just had a lemon at first, but it seems everybody I know with one has problem with them. Whereas my experience with the old fords is that they are stout if unrefined, but its a friggin' truck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm going Dodge. The 318 is a super solid motor, and you get a coil sprung solid front axle. I have never had issues with Dodge build quality. At present I own both a '98 Dodge, and a '88 F250. The Dodge is a far nicer truck.

The Ford is a 6.9, which gives you 4 cylinder performance with a V8s fuel bill. If your going to pay large for fuel, you might as well be able to keep up with traffic on the motorways.

crazy

Adventurer
I'm going Dodge. The 318 is a super solid motor, and you get a coil sprung solid front axle. I have never had issues with Dodge build quality. At present I own both a '98 Dodge, and a '88 F250. The Dodge is a far nicer truck.

The Ford is a 6.9, which gives you 4 cylinder performance with a V8s fuel bill. If your going to pay large for fuel, you might as well be able to keep up with traffic on the motorways.

The 6.9 IDI will get much better mileage than a 318 gasser.

I am a Dodge guy all the way to the core. Hard-core dodge guy. I have been driving 72'-93' Dodge trucks for over 30yrs. Even still, If 4x4 is not a concern, I would pick the Ford out of those two. Magnum engines never, ever got decent mileage. And the 318 will be no better than that 6.9 towing, and use far more fuel. And that era Dodge feels cheap, and falls apart. The interiors are junk. And contrary to popular belief, that front suspension rides like dookey.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am a Dodge guy all the way to the core. Hard-core dodge guy. I have been driving 72'-93' Dodge trucks for over 30yrs.

And contrary to popular belief, that front suspension rides like dookey.

Your telling me a 2nd gen 1500 rides worse than a 72-93 leaf sprung? What have you been smoking, and where can I get some???

I mean that in the nicest possible way...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Keep looking. The ford is 2wd and ancient.
-
That year/model Dodge is rubbish far before Ram created a QC department. That engine has hardly enough power to spin it's own cooling fan. I'm not sure what's wrong with those trucks, but we dyno'd a few of them with only 180hp left! Kick it's door, it'll fall off and dissolve into a cloud of dust. (don't know if ya'll salt your winter roads, but that era Dodge can't handle salt) At least they're vey easy to work on. You could just rebuild the whole truck.:Wow1:
-
So I'd wait for something better to come along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz