Decision: 99 Montero vs 2004 Outback

newworld2004

Adventurer
Update
In April I purchased a 2005 Saab 9-2x. Identical to the same year Subaru Impreza wagon.
119k miles, automatic, rebuilt title from mild front driver fender damage. Price was right and it runs well.

I still have the Montero bug. In my causal browsing a deal on a clean 1999 winter package showed up. Seriously considering buying it to perform a thorough comparison.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I understand Montero Bug, get the Montero.

Taylor1

Observer
The montero or similar comfortable capable suv has the potential to replace both my saabaru daily and the 85 4runner trail rig. Consolidating into one has both good and bad sides.

Taylor1

Observer
Impressed with the montero so far...Drove it once this weekend since coming home from Saudi Arabia. Struggling with the anti theft alarm at the moment.

jaccox23

Adventurer
Unless you're really stuck on wanting the anti theft I'd say remove it. That was one of my favorite mods to date was removing that POS system. It's literally a 2 hour job if you take your time. There's a write up somewhere in these forums for the removal just search it. It's literally unplug and solder 2 wires and put it back together and it's all done. hardest part is taking the hood latch and gas door latch off to take the molding off.

Taylor1

Observer
Six month update:
Both vehicles mostly just sat while I was abroad from November to mid March. The Saabaru sustained damage to the hood from a random driveway incident.

Upon my return I sold the Saabaru and started the transition to daily driving the Montero. In 5 weeks it has performed well on several day trips from Charlotte to Asheville or Raleigh along with a trip to Uwharrie - Badin Lake carrying a 13 ft tandem kayak.

I'm still ironing out the bugs and catching up on maintenance similar to others on here. I'll start a dedicated thread soon. Last photo is this weekend at Cape Lookout NC for a buddies bachelor's fishing trip.
90ea46118b2a341d3517db7d164fa981.jpg
504569c86f247d32a2b6f3657d268851.jpg
fe9a0014a30e461a3b30854576f74d4d.jpg
c69a160433f2f86364e84ef7cd8dc38c.jpg

Last edited:

snare

Adventurer
i am in asheville area for a while if you ever want to get together and you can see some of the things ive done to my 98

Taylor1

Observer
i am in asheville area for a while if you ever want to get together and you can see some of the things ive done to my 98
Nice. Next time I'm up that way with some time to spare I'll let you know. The mountain bike is usually with me too if you are interested in riding?

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I am just south of Greenville and make regular trips to the Jocassee area through NC Gorges State Park. Sometimes I go to Linville Gorge. I also know of a few trails in North Georgia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles