Deciding between Tacoma, 4Runner or even FJ

conleybfow

Hey all,

Signed up to this forum looking for a little guidance. My job will have me moving across the country shortly into a region that gets its fair share of snow. In addition to this I will likely be starting a family soon and will need a little extra space than what my current vehicle can offer. I've settled on Toyotas because they are a perfect blend of reliability, affordability and efficiency. They aren't too hard on the eyes, either.

I am drawn to both 4Runners and Tacomas equally but I see a few pros/cons with each. 4Runners I enjoy because I simply like the SUV body style, it would likely fair better in the snow (doesn't have an *** end with no weight in it to go flying all over the place) and offers more seating capacity. On the end other Tacomas seem a bit more versatile, have a bed I can throw the dog/work gear/camping gear/etc into and seem like they would do better in off-road conditions, although I don't see myself doing any crazy wilderness trekking.

Please share with me your thoughts/experiences/suggestions/criticisms and point me in the right direction. I did also briefly consider the FJ Cruiser and for a time the Jeep Rubicon but I am hesitant based on Chrysler's reliability track record...and the ugly grill.

Thanks in advance.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Need more info.

Family size? Budget? What will it be used for (long distance travel vs. drive to the local campsite to camp?) Do you need to be able to sleep inside it? Does it have to serve as your DD or will it be a dedicated adventure rig? Do you need to be able to haul trash/lumber/construction equipement? Will it pull a trailer? Do you have any preferences as far as engine/transmission/4wd system? Is MPG a factor?

Without knowing these things it's hard to make a recommendation that will work for you.

conleybfow

Need more info.

Family size? Budget? What will it be used for (long distance travel vs. drive to the local campsite to camp?) Do you need to be able to sleep inside it? Does it have to serve as your DD or will it be a dedicated adventure rig? Do you need to be able to haul trash/lumber/construction equipement? Will it pull a trailer? Do you have any preferences as far as engine/transmission/4wd system? Is MPG a factor?

Without knowing these things it's hard to make a recommendation that will work for you.
Thanks Martinjmpr.

Family size would be 3 total with possibility of a 4th (2 little ones).

Budget would be approximately 40k. I know a 4Runner with all the options + warranty will push this a bit.

This truck would serve as both my DD and maybe a weekend warrior with odd trips to the lake for camping, etc. Nothing major or epic.

Don't need to haul anything with it.

No engine preference but would want an Auto tran.

MPG isn't a big concern.

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
My vote, Tacoma. I've never driven a 4 Runner, but having a SUV prior to my truck I dont know that I would ever go back. Having the bed, even if you dont use it all that often has lots of advantages.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Since you have a family, that would make me lean towards the 4runner. Those here who have the 2nd gen (2005+) Tacoma have said that even with the DC (Double Cab) model, the back seats are rather cramped (If you're planning on putting an infant in the back in a backwards-facing seat, this could be an issue.)

From your budget I guess you're buying new? Oh well, I guess somebody's got to be a sucker. ;)

I don't care that much for the 5th gen (2010+) 4runner but those that have them seem to like them a lot. I prefer the 4th gen (2003 - 2009) for it's more sleek styling plus for having multi-mode 4wd.

4runners have a lot of fancy electronics which can be a blessing when they work and a curse when they don't (I'm particularly thinking of things like the automatic HVAC controls, self-closing liftgate, and so on.) Tacomas tend to be a little more bare-bones but that also means fewer things to break.

Some people with DC Tacos like the advantage of being able to separate the "clean" area of the cab from the "dirty" area of the bed but those of us with wagon-type SUVs like the fact that all of our gear stays in a climate controlled and less-dusty interior. Also having a wagon-body means you can drop the seats and have a full 6' long area for sleeping in (if you remove the lower seat cushions on the 4runner, which is pretty easy to do, at least it has been on the two 4runners I've owned.)

Another advantage of the 4runner in winter climates is the rear wiper/washer.

But no doubt the Taco fans will jump in with their own reasons for choosing a pickup over an SUV. :D

p nut

butter
Given your situation, I would personally go for a 4-door Tacoma (TRD Off-Road, to be specific). Dog, work gear, muddy waders and other messy crap in the back, family up front. I've owned 4Runners and Tacomas. 4Runners are definitely nice and can't go wrong with getting one; however, I found that Tacomas offer much more ultility and versitility. 1st Gen Tacoma Double Cabs (01-04) were a little tight in the back, but plenty of space in 2nd Gens. The interior is pretty utilitarian, and if lots of ammenities is your thing (auto-climate control, prettier dash layout, mirrors that make putting on make-up easier, etc. :D), maybe the 4Runner will be better.

But whatever you do, do not get an FJC. You will hate it when that baby comes.

EDIT: Not sure why people think baby seats in Tacomas is a tight fit. Fit fine in ours. And ours was a first gen. No issues in the 2nd gen either. BTW, I own a LC, and no Tacomas at this time.

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Hey all,

Signed up to this forum looking for a little guidance. My job will have me moving across the country shortly into a region that gets its fair share of snow. In addition to this I will likely be starting a family soon and will need a little extra space than what my current vehicle can offer. I've settled on Toyotas because they are a perfect blend of reliability, affordability and efficiency. They aren't too hard on the eyes, either.

I am drawn to both 4Runners and Tacomas equally but I see a few pros/cons with each. 4Runners I enjoy because I simply like the SUV body style, it would likely fair better in the snow (doesn't have an *** end with no weight in it to go flying all over the place) and offers more seating capacity. On the end other Tacomas seem a bit more versatile, have a bed I can throw the dog/work gear/camping gear/etc into and seem like they would do better in off-road conditions, although I don't see myself doing any crazy wilderness trekking.

Please share with me your thoughts/experiences/suggestions/criticisms and point me in the right direction. I did also briefly consider the FJ Cruiser and for a time the Jeep Rubicon but I am hesitant based on Chrysler's reliability track record...and the ugly grill.

Thanks in advance.
Affordability? have you priced a new 4runner or taco recently? even used toyota has one of the highest resale values around. heck even here in central florida a 2000 4runner is going for at least $2000 over KBB and usually $1000 over clearbook and NADA. I found an 80 series with 410,000 miles on it today and the owner wants $3500. 2004 tacomas are going for as much as 20 grand... toyota lost its affordability quite a few years ago lol.
Still, toyota is pretty awesome!!!

chmura

Adventurer
Affordability? have you priced a new 4runner or taco recently? even used toyota has one of the highest resale values around. heck even here in central florida a 2000 4runner is going for at least $2000 over KBB and usually $1000 over clearbook and NADA. I found an 80 series with 410,000 miles on it today and the owner wants $3500. 2004 tacomas are going for as much as 20 grand... toyota lost its affordability quite a few years ago lol.
Still, toyota is pretty awesome!!!

I agree. I sold my 2002 Tacoma 4x4, excab, TRD, 5sp, with 80k miles last year for $12000. I basically bought it for that much 4 years ago.

I sold my Tacoma because I didn't use the bed at all. It was a harsh ride with stock suspension. My wife hated it. 4runner will suit you better having a family IMO. I love the 4runner over the Tacoma. Build quality is better. Made in Japan over Tacoma made in Mexico (some of them). You can fold down the seats and sleep comfortably in the 4runner. Tacoma you cannot with the double cab.

Also my friend has a double cab Tacoma and his wife complained to me that there is no trunk so she couldn't hide her purse easily inside the cab of the truck.

Get the the 4runner trail edition and don't look back.

BrandonS

Observer
I have not owned a Tacoma so I can't speak for those. But we have a 2011 4Runner SR5 4x4 with leather, sunroof, bluetooth, heated seats, running boards, hitch, a nice front windshield defroster, etc (I list these so you know what in ours for the comparison). It's basically a run of the mill 4 Runner. We also just purchased a '13 FJ 4x4 for myself. Owning both of these, I would say for your needs to get the 4 Runner. MSRP was I believe ~$38,000 on ours. The FJ has just a convenience package and offroad package; basically bare essentials like keyless entry, bluetooth radio, locking rear, atrac (4 runner has this as well, but no locking rear), rearview camera. MSRP was around $34,500 with some dealer added things like predator bars and tint. The seats are manual and cloth and space in the back is at a premium. From research if you put a rear facing baby seat in, the front seat in front of it needs to get moved up quite a bit.

This is why I would recommend the 4 Runner. For your DD and for family moving it is HANDS DOWN the better choice. I really like my FJ and I really like our 4 Runner, but when we drive back to Pennsylvania from OK, I'm going to take the 2 year old 4Runner. It has way more room and way more amenities. It's also quite a bit more comfortable on the road. The FJ is a niche vehicle sold as a reliable utilitarian offroading vehicle that functions quite well as a DD; honestly compared to our 4Runner it seems like a Toyota was aiming straight at the Jeeps. The 4 Runner; and I'll probably get crap for saying this; seems to be geared as a people mover first with offroading being a part of it's bag of tricks (the trail edition I would say is probably 50/50; but I have not driven one)

Last edited:

BigOly

Not sure why people think baby seats in Tacomas is a tight fit. Fit fine in ours. And ours was a first gen. No issues in the 2nd gen either.

I agree! I have a newborn with a backward facing seat and a 6 year old with a forward facing seat in the back of my Taco 1st gen DC. I have plenty of room without having to adjust the front seats and I would agree that the 2nd gen DCs would be even roomier.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The 4 Runner; and I'll probably get crap for saying this; seems to be geared as a people mover first with offroading being a part of it's bag of tricks (the trail edition I would say is probably 50/50; but I have not driven one)

You won't get any crap from me, and I'm on 4runner no. 2.

The way I look at it, the term "sport-utility vehicle" has a lot of "wiggle room." Something like a Wrangler or FJ Cruiser is long on "sport" but short on "utility." They are basically vehicles that are really good at one thing (going off road) and not very good at most other things.

The 4runner, by contrast, is long on "utility." Not as good off road as the FJC, Wrangler or Xterra (at least not from the factory, though it's shortcomings can usually be cured with lift/tires/armor) but much more of a "utility" vehicle with 4 full doors to the FJCs 3 (if you count the rear door), 5 roll-down windows vs 2, and an interior that is more suited for hauling groceries, kids, car seats, lumber from Home Depot, etc. Like the Wrangler and the FJ40, the FJC is a single-purpose vehicle where the 4runner is a multi-purpose one.

Now that's not to say you can't use an FJC as your DD/family hauler, but that is not its strongest suit.

conleybfow

Thanks for the responses folks. I do know that I have a lot more researching ahead of me and this thread has made some points I hadn't considered before.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
With Tacomas, 4Runners, and FJs, there is little sense in buying lightly used. All three retain their value stupidly well. All 3 now have the same mechanicals- part time 4wd, 8" axles from and rear. A CC taco, espy Kally with a cap is not all that light in the tail. Rear facing child seat might be an issue- take it with you when you go shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94