Decent Winch For 8,000lb Van.

Bravo30

I’m looking for a winch that I could use on my 8,000lb Sprinter Van. My van is 2wd and the winch would be mounted on the rear factory 2” receiver hitch. The winch would be used on forests roads mainly, in the event I get stuck in a rut or slip off onto the shoulder etc etc. I carry chains and a bunch off other equipment but we’re always out of cell phone range so self recovery is a must for us and I think having a winch onboard ours us in good shape.

so far I’ve been looking at the 17,00lb Sherpa but I’m open to whatever’s out there. My budget is $1,000 or take.

Thoughts?

Johnston

Observer
With you van being 2wd it isn't like you are going to driving trough a deep mud hole and since it will be mounted on the rear to get you out of something you pulled into not trough something so you should be able to get away with a smaller winch and carry a couple snatch blocks and a winch line extension.
I would look at the Warn 8000 or 9000 models with rope or something similar.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
General winch conventional thinking is 1.5 times your vehicle weight. Sp you'd want something around 12,000 lb capacity.
exactly

Even that is generally overkill. For the few times I have used a winch, it is generally just a nudge is all you need. The hill is a little slick, tires just don't hve enough traction. If you had 6 buddies standing around they could generally push you through. Being you can't get that stuck in 2WD (we know those that are the exception) a 12K winch has more than enough grunt to get you out.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Go for 8-10k and just do a double line pull. Get some extra dyneema rope to compensate for the loss if length. People always forget about using pulleys. You're not going to want to put much lateral pull on a Sprinter anyway...the frame horns really aren't meant to handle side loading..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would recommend something on the lighter side since it is a portable winch that will likely be stored inside and moved around when the vehicle is already stuck. Don't hurt yourself trying to get the vehicle out. I would honestly consider something like a 5K UTV, or a short drum 6-8K, winch with synthetic line. Add a few synthetic winch line extensions and two snatch rings to be able to reach way out or rig lots of mechanical advantage. That would add a TON of capability in a small light package that will be easy for anyone to move around.

Don't forget a decent shovel to be able to dig out the rear receiver hitch when it is down in the ground.

Run very large gauge leads for the winch from the battery.

Bravo30

I would recommend something on the lighter side since it is a portable winch that will likely be stored inside and moved around when the vehicle is already stuck. Don't hurt yourself trying to get the vehicle out. I would honestly consider something like a 5K UTV, or a short drum 6-8K, winch with synthetic line. Add a few synthetic winch line extensions and two snatch rings to be able to reach way out or rig lots of mechanical advantage. That would add a TON of capability in a small light package that will be easy for anyone to move around.

Don't forget a decent shovel to be able to dig out the rear receiver hitch when it is down in the ground.

Run very large gauge leads for the winch from the battery.

I don’t have any shackles on the rear receiver hitch or front recover hitch. The front reviewer hitch is from aluminess and the rear is factory installed class 3. The front hitch is bolted to the frame but only really good for a straight pull, no lateral pulls I would think. I do have a tow eye up front that people have used for recovery so in a pinch I could hook up a shackle there.

A471B6FE-AF40-4C72-93E0-6DE4A708C10D.jpeg
12F34986-DB62-44A4-92AE-5DE8DA12D3A1.jpeg

WOODY2

Adventurer
I don’t have any shackles on the rear receiver hitch or front recover hitch. The front reviewer hitch is from aluminess and the rear is factory installed class 3. The front hitch is bolted to the frame but only really good for a straight pull, no lateral pulls I would think. I do have a tow eye up front that people have used for recovery so in a pinch I could hook up a shackle there.

View attachment 642240
View attachment 642246
Looks like that front tow screw in pin could get bent quite easily? I'd find a way to use the 2" receiver somehow.

86scotty

Cynic
so far I’ve been looking at the 17,00lb Sherpa but I’m open to whatever’s out there. My budget is $1,000 or take.

Thoughts?

$17k and $1000 budget for this are both overkill IMO. I'd head to Harbor Freight and get their 12k with a coupon for $299. Some people can't stand the thought of having something like a winch from HF. I don't understand these people. Read the reviews, look at how many billion they've sold, save the rest of your money for 1/4 of your next trip to the Benz dealer for diagnostics.

I've bought nearly $1k Warns before and recently a couple of the HF ones. They are good and capable winches and the price and value simply cannot be beat.

Ducstrom

I'd go with a smaller winch too. That's what I'll be doing when I get some spare cash for one. (Not a priority at all) My truck is around the same weight as your van and I've got both a front and rear receiver.

Front receiver is rated for max 10,000 lb straight pull. So I'll likely go with a 9-10,000lb winch. It'll be easier to move a smaller winch front to back and in all honesty it will probably only get used for pulling downed trees off the road. Or possibly pulling some moose quarters up onto a meat pole.
I'll be going with a cheap winch as well since it'll live most of its life out of the elements.

motorcycle matt

Personally I'd go for a made in china Warn VR series 10 or 12 thousand pound. Amazon and Northern Tool have them for $570. A year from now when you're stuck, you won't miss the extra $250 over the HF and you still have money left over for extensions, pulleys and shackles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles