decent foldable jack/axle stands?

damienperu

Observer
Hi all,

In my opinion we should all have axle stands, or jack stands, whatever you want to call them, and not just in the garage, my father lost fingers when his factory range rover jack gave way when i was 10, and its still a vivid memory over 30 years later.

Anyway, they are a pain to pack and carry, especially when space is at a premium, so i was wondering if there are any decent foldable ones. I found the ones linked below, they seem to appear rebranded under a dozen names in the UK, but regardless they aren't the quality nor height that I want, nor would i recommend them.

Has anyone stumbled across something else that would hold a 4 tonne touring rig and be somewhat storage friendly? Ideally I'd want something rated at least 2t per stand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Vehic...3_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KAJRAGN0NEAEC4W1CMAD

Cheers

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Out here in the California desert, a lot of us use a trailer leveling scissor jack, and throw a wheel/tire under the frame to catch it in the event of the jack failing. I used to run an aluminum floor jack, but I could never get the seals to survive with how hard I beat on the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Forum sponsor Safe Jack always offer's a discount at the Overland Expos on their off-road jack stands. If you have their Safe jack system all you need to do is add the jack stand.

Yeah the original was 3 tonne UK which is long tons and the 2 tons was U.S. which short tons.
3 tonnes UK is actually 3 tons 720 pounds U.S.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
3 tonnes UK is actually 3 tons 720 pounds U.S.
I believe 3 tonnes UK is three metric tons at 1,000 kilos each, or 6613.80 pounds. The old Imperial Ton was 2,240 pounds, or 6,720 pounds for three tons. In any case it's still a lot more than the 2 ton/4,000 pound folders on the US Amazon site.

damienperu

Observer
The one I posted was just an example to show the form factor that I was thinking of. I didn't find any others in the US that were 3 ton, all 2 ton, but they all look like the same thing rebranded, or at least the same design patent. I don't recommend them, they look kinda cheap and not sure if those three small pins would last, I'm just wondering if anyone makes a beefy version of something similar

damienperu

Observer
Forum sponsor Safe Jack always offer's a discount at the Overland Expos on their off-road jack stands. If you have their Safe jack system all you need to do is add the jack stand.

Hey thanks very much, that seems like it would do the trick, I'll look into it and see if they'll ship to me, might cost a bomb though

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
A spare tire jammed under the frame works well. I've seen a BAJA race truck that mounted lighter floor jacks to skateboard decks to spread the load in the sand for tire changing.
I was thinking that skateboard deck under those folding jack stands would be a pretty good idea,

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
those look like they are rated 3 ton for the pair, so 1.5 ton each. where as the ones before are rated 2 ton each.
I enlarged the Amazon pic, and the sticker on the base of each jack says "3 tons, 6,000 pounds".

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I always thought it would be nice to have a bar that goes under the aluminum floor jack pad to the jack front axle that would lock it upright.
Then I would just be turning my jack into a jackstand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior