Deavers, worth the $$$$$?????

Jb1rd

Explorer
Can someone please enlighten me on this topic, I got a quote of $750-800 for custom Alcan rear springs, the quote for Deavers is around $2100 is there really a 3 fold increase in performance or are you paying for a name? The rear springs will be the last component of my suspension and I want to match the quality of the Agile RIP components, as always your feedback is appreciated.

I've run some deaver springs on the back of a ranger pickup/pre runner type of truck, nice spring.

That said, no, I think you're mostly paying for the name.

philos

Explorer
A buddy had Deavers in his Bronco. He liked them , but complained about the price... They certainly rode nice, but again that price tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
What are they going into?

I'm happy with my locally made springs and wouldn't pay $2100 USD vs the $800 CAD... With 6000 lbs on the rear axle, ride is subjective.

GNTY

Adventurer
Similar topic on the sportsmobile forum and many smb owners have said deavers are the best upgrade they have done and worth ever penny. I have a full set that I finally got sitting on a pallet in front of my van, should know soon if they were worth the big $$$.

With that said, my atlas springs on my ujoint vans ride beautifully and couldn't ask for more!!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I can't speak to the quality of Alcan, but I have been very satisfied with the completely custom springs from Deaver for Robinson Fuso. 10 years in they are still doing great (I just replaced the suspension bushings)

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
More leaves, more material, higher price. Compare the leaf count.

OEM Ford 9 leaves $859/side CAD
Aftermarket 10 leaves $379/side CAD

Deavers per OP... $1400/side CAD.

Given a choice, I'd take the 2k savings and and use it for something else important.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
With that said, my atlas springs on my ujoint vans ride beautifully and couldn't ask for more!!

Are you happy with how your van currently rides? How do you plan on using it?

The new packs I put in are a huge improvement over the tired stock ones... The worst I'll be doing is a logging road. If I was planning on wheeling or more serious stuff, I'd take that into consideration.

If you're asking the question, you're likely in a position where money is a consideration. I'd go with Alcans... Perhaps with Ujoint Specs. I can apreciate the rigs that are built sparing no expense... Just not everyone can do that. New springs were already outside my budget... And I'm very happy with the ones I bought.

GR8ADV

Explorer
At that price difference there is a difference. Maybe get some technical advice from both companies. Decide then if the differences are worth it for you.

Interesting enough I have found that crappy logging roads are where well engineered and build specific designed suspension shines.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
2K more for something I'll do <1% of the time. 10-20% more I could justify... 350% would be too much. They'd have to be more similar in price.

Deaver springs appear to be well made with more thinner leaves for a more progressive rate. There's a limit to how much that can be done with 7000lbs on an axle.

I've also seen really bad logging roads, including 5 months of driving them 40 hrs a week for the Forest service... including driving them to make sure they were still there.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
At that price difference there is a difference. Maybe get some technical advice from both companies. Decide then if the differences are worth it for you.

Interesting enough I have found that crappy logging roads are where well engineered and build specific designed suspension shines.

Yeah I have had good luck calling a company and saying "I really like your XXXX but am just having a hard time getting to your asking price when I can get YYYY for half that (or whatever)." Either they move on price, convince you that it is worth it because you didn't understand what the differentiator was, or you buy brand Y instead. Makes it pretty easy.

There are always different price points and levels of performance. The trick is to buy the level of performance you need at the lowest price point for that level of performance!

It's a competitive market, nobody should need to get defensive defending their price point.

GNTY

Adventurer
Are you happy with how your van currently rides? How do you plan on using it?
I'm very happy with the atlas springs on my two ujoint vans, the ride and handling is fantastic both on and off road.
My sportsmobile is a recent acquisition and the front springs needed replacement any way. I've owned a number of vans that all had different degrees of ride quality and handling. The previous owner of the SMB said it was always a two hands on the wheel kind of rig, not acceptable. My first contact was to Chris at ujoint but he wasn't willing or in a position to provide springs spec'd for my smb 4x conversion with the dyntrac pro rock axle, Understandable. It's Not worth the time for him. So with the feedback from other smb owners about the huge ride quality improvement and handling and the fact Deaver was familure with smb's I bit the bullet on price (it was very hard to swallow, even more $$$ because of the horrible exchange rate), in the end that's how important the ride quality is to me with a 10,000 vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles