DEATH VALLEY RUN - President day weekend

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No worries Carlos. Like I said, i relied on the pictures of the maps instead of looking at the whole post before leaving. I should have downloaded/printed the entire first post instead of just saving the images of the maps. You know it's no harm/no foul as far as I'm concerned. Just pissed at myself for not doing it.

JamesW

Adventurer
Thats awesome guys,I've never been to the states,seeing the pics makes me want to go though.

Poor off-roader got an awfully raw deal though,lucky you had breakdown cover though,could have turned into a costly nightmare!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Poor off-roader got an awfully raw deal though,lucky you had breakdown cover though,could have turned into a costly nightmare!
One thing that was different this year than years in past with AAA's roadside services is they no longer allow you to use 1 card for the 1st 200 miles then a 2nd card for the next and so on. You can only use one card for the first. Wait 24 hrs, then a 2nd call for 100 miles more. Seems stupid to me since each of us, is paying $$ for this service and we are able to use it for any vehicle we're in either as a driver or passenger.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Ray,

Did a mechanic verify with 1000% certainty that your engine is toast and needs to be fully rebuilt or replaced??

I've lost oil pumps before, had terrible knock from no pressure. Replaced the pump and rod bearings and I was back on the road.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
dang Ray, suck to hear that your engine is toast.

But you got good use out of it, close to 300k or so, right?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ray,

Did a mechanic verify with 1000% certainty that your engine is toast and needs to be fully rebuilt or replaced??

I've lost oil pumps before, had terrible knock from no pressure. Replaced the pump and rod bearings and I was back on the road.

No but i've got a spare engine that can go in. Based on the sounds being made, the damage is either the piston rods (per the sound heard by several on the run) or the intake manifold butterfly being thrown about in the pistons (per Grasscat's suggested possibility). In either case a rebuild would be needed.

Yes it could be something else as well but with 300K on the clock, a rebuild is a smart option regardless the cause of the sounds.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Holy cow...300k?! That's fantastic! You got your money's worth, that's for sure! You're right...best to just replace it. Hope you're back on the trail soon.

Dennx

Adventurer
Ray,

I'm glad you and your friend made it home safely. Good luck with the engine swap. Sounds like you're in excellent hands at Carlos' Montero Garage. ;)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ray,

I'm glad you and your friend made it home safely. Good luck with the engine swap. Sounds like you're in excellent hands at Carlos' Montero Garage. ;)
Thanks! Was good to meet you as well. Yes, I am very lucky to have both Carlos and Michael nearby and willing to help!

wgyouree

KK6LZW
Ray and Carlos, let me know when you're doing the engine swap. If you need an extra pair of hands I'll swing by to help out! I'm not too far from Carlos's Montero Garage :ylsmoke:

- Greg

tyty13

Adventurer
Thanks Carlos for setting it all up. Ray glad you made it home ok . Nice to meet the every one. It also nice to know people will take the time to help each other out when needed. That's awesome of Mike to come all that way to help . Tell next time!!:victory:

EmptyOly

Ray and Carlos, let me know when you're doing the engine swap. If you need an extra pair of hands I'll swing by to help out! I'm not too far from Carlos's Montero Garage :ylsmoke:

- Greg

Same here. I can help as well if needed.

Jason

GrassCat

Adventurer
When you have children you must come to their rescue.

I'm lucky, I have two adopted sons. One name Ray (offroader) the oldest and the other is Carlos (cap510) my youngest. :). Both are as different as night and day and I mean that in a good way.

Ray got home around 7:00 am, I got home at 8:15am it was long and tiresome. Upon further investigation, when I it got back to the shop, Rays engine has a lower end problem. So it's out with the old one and replaced with the spare. That's the quickest way to get him back on the road.

What Ray does not know I will not give up watching the NASCAR big race this weekend. Hey there's only one Big race per year and I'm a true redneck. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles