Death valley last weekend

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Was that camp site pretty windy? Your daughter is a total cutie. About the same age as mine. So much fun!

DNTL740

Adventurer
The first campsite, on Lippincott road got a bit windy in the middle of the night, but other than that it was great. The second night we slept at steel pass, and let me tell you it was cold and windy. We had to eat dinner inside the car, and were in bed by 8. When we woke up all our water was frozen solid, and the water bottle we left inside the car was frozen also.

My daughter is great she loves to go off-roading and camping, she was pretty bummed we had to go back home. Am planning on taking one camping trip every month.

Cristian

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've spent the night on two different T-Day weekend trips at Eureka Sand Dune. Both times I had a 2.5 gallon water container freeze solid over night. I sleep in the bed under the shell, and both times the water was in the bed with me.

enthdigry

Awesome. I am leaving Friday morning for a short 2 night strip in DV myself. I came here to check to see if there were any updates on road conditions.

I had been planning to take Saline Road from 190 and then turnong onto Hunter Mountain RD to camp at Lost Burro mine the first night, but the NPS website says both roads are closed.

Not sure if I missed it, but was there any snow on Steele Pass?

traveltoad

Aaron S
As of last weekend (there is a storm brewing now) Steele Pass is completely clear. Hunter Mtn is not passable. Cerro Gordo may be passable, we did not have enough fuel to push through the last mile or two to the top. Titus is open. South Pass is clear of snow but has a few fallen rocks that would take a litlte time to get around in a 4wheel vehicle.

Steele Pass:
822594448_vSf9z-L.jpg

Top of the 190:
824273712_DmWcL-L.jpg

Last edited:

enthdigry

As of last weekend (there is a storm brewing now) Steele Pass is completely clear. Hunter Mtn is not passable. Cerro Gordo may be passable, we did not have enough fuel to push through the last mile or two to the top. Titus is open. South Pass is clear of snow but has a few fallen rocks that would take a litlte time to get around in a 4wheel vehicle.

Steele Pass:
IMG

Top of the 190:
IMG

Nice pics. I hope to get a Dual Sport one day. That looks like a great way to travel. I just started riding a street bike a couple months ago and it is a blast.

Thanks for the update. I will just be taking the South Pass and probably camping at Lee Flat to check out the sites around there if it isn't ridiculously cold or super windy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior