Death Valley 4/12--4/15

pismo62

Adventurer
Hi everyone, this is a first time post for a trip. I'm planning a trip out to Death Valley with my boys 7 and 11, for exploration and off-raod education. This will be a family oriented trip and would love some company. Hopefully there are other that would enjoy the trip. Here is the Schedule:

4/11 Lone Pine (evening)

4/12 8:00am Take rte. 136 east to Swansea, follow the Swansea grade in the Inyo mtns. to the Burgess Mine area, along the crest to the Salt Tram station and the ghost town of Cerro Gordo, descending to Lee flats and camp.

4/13 Follow Saline Valley rd down Grapevine cyn. into Saline Valley, up Lippencott Mine rd., to the race track, Teakettle junction, Hidden valley, Lost Burro Mine area to Hunter Mountains and camp.

4/14 Take Saline valley Rd. south to 190 to Pananmint Springs for fuel, into Trona and Slate Range trail to Goler Wash, Baker Ranch, Mengel Pass And Butte Valley to camp.

4/15 Hit the pavement and head home.

Thanks Guy :safari-rig:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
:iagree:

I think Butte Valley and the Geology cabin are my new favorite places in Death Valley. Hope you and your boys have a blast!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
That's sounds like a blast. Would love to join up, but we are moving in the new house around that time.

Have fun and please take pics!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We drove several of those trails last month. We started @ Olancha and went up to Cerro Gordo first, then went to Lee flats & around to Teakettle & the racetrack. We camped near Lippencott mine, then when down Lippencott Mine road to Saline valley, visiting the salt trams & hot springs, where we camped. Lippencott mine rd was tight for me in the van, the guy behind me was nervous the whole time. We exitied east from the Springs on an awesome trail that led us to Eureka dunes & back to Big Pine. Total was right @ 190 miles of dirt, awesome trip, good times. ---Chris

teotwaki

Excelsior!
ujointclothing said:
We drove several of those trails last month. We started @ Olancha and went up to Cerro Gordo first, then went to Lee flats & around to Teakettle & the racetrack. We camped near Lippencott mine, then when down Lippencott Mine road to Saline valley, visiting the salt trams & hot springs, where we camped. Lippencott mine rd was tight for me in the van, the guy behind me was nervous the whole time. We exitied east from the Springs on an awesome trail that led us to Eureka dunes & back to Big Pine. Total was right @ 190 miles of dirt, awesome trip, good times. ---Chris

How were the roads to Cerro Gordo? Snow, mud, erosion? Were you able to drive up higher to the tram station and cabin? How about temperatures?

I am thinking about going out there in a week.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The road up to cerro gordo was easy, we didn't see any snow until we started to come down the back side, and it was very little.

pismo62

Adventurer
Thanks for all the responses guys. Thanks for the updates on the trails, Chris. I'll make sure I get plenty of picts. socalfj, I've been admiring your rig from your posts. Thanks Guy :safari-rig:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've only been there once (1998) but I've wanted to go back ever since. Too much to see and do in one trip. I was there in early May and it was just starting to get hot in the daytime. Nights were chilly but not freezing. I camped out in the Funeral Mountains on the Northeastern side of the park. There are also some pretty cool ghost towns in the area, Gold Point being one of my favorites.

BTW, I have to say I really love the place names in that part of Nevada and California: Funeral Mountains, Furnace Creek, Stove Pipe Wells, etc. Here's a fun thing to do: As you're driving around, start making up your own place names that fit in with the "death valley" theme: Dead Mule Gulch, Massacre Canyon, Mount Agony, Vulture Butte, Poison Springs, Murder Ridge, Brimstone Mountain, etc. :D

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I can forward you the map of our trip via email if you like, just emal me if you want it.--

pismo62

Adventurer
Well guys my little trip has been moved up to this next week 3/22-3/25 in an effort to beat the heat. My schedule opened up and the weather looks great. Chris, the maps would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier