Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Get a Dodge diesel and 6 speed

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Look for other options/custom/swap/import of some kind

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters

Bella PSD

Explorer
With the death of the 6 speed/diesel in 2011 Ford model year, (and that would be now!) how many are looking at Dodge instead of GM or Ford with the automatic only.

I may be in the minority here but this is a deal-breaker for me. It was a deal-breaker back in 2000 when I could not get a Tacoma double cab with a 5 speed V6.

If I were in the market today I would look very strongly at Dodge/Cummins. It hurts to even type that but I have had Dodge trucks in the past and I lived through it.

I never thought Ford would do this. I applaud Dodge for keeping the 6 speed as standard equipment.:bowdown:

Louie

Bella PSD

Explorer
I hovered over the Ford vote for a while and then just voted Dodge. What kind of problems is Dodge having with the 6 speed? like I even want to here this!

chet

island Explorer
with all the new crap on the new diesels I would stay away from any new diesel truck motor right now. I would be buying a 2005 or 2006 truck (dodge with 6 spd) and work on getting it in like new condition.

My sis in law works for a ford dealer here in town and they have sold very few diesel trucks in the last 6 months. All gassers and new f150's at that. My dads f150 has a 11,000 tow rating!

My sis in law works for a ford dealer here in town and they have sold very few diesel trucks in the last 6 months. All gassers and new f150's at that. My dads f150 has a 11,000 tow rating!

Who'd want one of the troubleprone uneconomical 6.4s, with the 6.7 coming out?
I suspect the mileage improvement will be more like 25-30%

Charlie

Bella PSD

Explorer
So the Dodge uses the NV5600 manual 6 speed and Ford use to use the ZF S6-650 manual 6 speed. I wonder how different they are built? I have had no problems with my ZF 6 speed in my Ford. But I did up the stock dual mass clutch to a LUK single mass and a Kevlar pilot bearing from South Bend Clutch when I increased the HP.:ylsmoke:

Louie

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
For those voting

• Look for other options/custom/swap/import of some kind

Let us know what you have in mind!!

Louie

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
with all the new crap on the new diesels I would stay away from any new diesel truck motor right now. I would be buying a 2005 or 2006 truck (dodge with 6 spd) and work on getting it in like new condition.

Exactly! I wouldn’t buy any 2007 or later diesel even if it was cheaper than a gas powertrain.

I am a manual trans fan and have always bought manual trans trucks. I even converted my ’78 K10 from an automatic to a manual. However, the last manual trans truck I purchased new and still have, is a 2001 Silverado HD with a big block gas engine and ZF S6-650. I have to tell ya…..I hate it! That ZF is the most awkward shifting and noisy thing I’ve ever rowed. It totally ruined my love affair with manual transmissions. If I were to buy a new truck I would definitely go with a slush box. Automatic transmissions have come a long way in the past decade.

Yeah, what is wrong with the Dodge’s Getrag manual trans? I have heard of ZERO complaints. Getrag built a bunch of crap in the early 90’s but their latest attempt seems to be doing well. The previous NVG NV4500 and 5600’s were great. I am still surprised Dodge changed transmission suppliers to back to Getrag.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
Go with the Dodge...I'm at 140K miles now with zero issues. Running the Smarty on +100 HP level and the stock clutch is still holding up! Just got back to the Bay Area from San Diego, 974 mile round trip, 21.7 mpg at 70+ on I5. Wasn't carring much of a load but have about 500 lbs of bumper and spares.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Dodge diesels are having alot of problems right now,especially with the 6 spd,i would wait to see how it pans out.
I own an '07 CTD with a g-56 6-speed. The only problem Dodge has been having is people powering the motor up and slipping the dmf clutch. SBC has a permanent quiet smf replacement. The $550,000,000 Ford has spent on the 6.0 dwarfs any clutch problems Dodge has had.

Juntura

Observer
Answer to the custom question.

I am currently looking for a newer 2500 class truck as I have began to tow more- buying old cars multiple states away will do that. I would like to buy a diesel but I am afraid of the new Dodge 6.7, won't own a 6.0 or 6.4 PSD, and don't like Chevy IFS (been there done that) so I am pretty limited; I am also looking for a true crew cab which really hurts the Dodge. I have looked at the Tundras as they can tow a lot but the lack of a manual kills it for me. Basically my requirements have limited me to a 7.3PSD or a gas SuperDuty. My wife's Expedition has a 5.4 V8 that I am REALLY impressed with- 17-18 mpg on the highway, decent power, smooth, very reliable with 150k on the clock, etc. Most of the 7.3's here locally are really high mileage work trucks or lifted on 37's. Long story short I will either give up on the diesel option (looking at my buddies 2004 V10 6 speed tomorrow) or I will go custom.

I hadn't really thought of the custom diesel route before last week, but then I came across this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=864848 and the wheels started turning. This would be a long shot as I have a '66 Bronco that needs some lovin first, but when I saw the custom option on the poll I clicked it because of this truck.

To be honest, I wish that that Ford or Dodge would offer a detuned diesel option. I honestly do not need 700+ ft/#'s. I would be very happy with the power and efficiency of an early Cummins in a true crew cab configuration- that I can row my own, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles