Dealing with shipping damage...Go Fast Superlite

codertimt

Observer
Holy scrappy dappy doo...that is tons of corrugated protection on the sides(can't see what's on flat top and bottom, but definitely plenty on all sides with that packaging). Mine looked identical to emulous74. And just to further confuse matters mine is order #5796...no clue to if mine shipped earlier for whatever reason or if there was some other reason for the differences in shipping. Regardless, from my conversation, it seems like the future shipments will be in the cardboard encasements that Pinnacle showed...so I would say future order don't have much to worry about. At least I hope not...feel free to monitor on this thread if you don't want to start your own... I just want as much information going out to people as possible to make informed decisions...

Reactions: plh

aaaslayer

My order is expected towards the end of July, so I should be expecting it last week or so of July. I'll chime in and let you all know how it goes. I hope they are aware of these issues and actually are doing something to prevent this from happening in future shipments. I too would hate to pay $1500 shipped for a tent that is NEW, only to receive it with a few holes in it, no matter how small. A patch or partial refund is not a remedy either. Give me what I paid for, a NEW tent with no holes.

codertimt

Observer
Well, time to give an update once again, because Old Dominion has summarily dismissed my claim...

"Our investigation of your claim has been completed. Delivery was made without exception and no evidence was discovered in the course of our investigation which would indicate that the damage occurred while the shipment was in our possession. "

Basically, we see the pictures, it's obviously the tent was dragged/loaded on it's side and wore through the wrapping, but as you can't prove we did it...too bad. So, as suggested earlier, I will definitely attempt to not deal with Old Dominion as a freight company anymore...although I'm sure just about every other freight company would probably do the same... Anyway, I'm now at the mercy of GFC...I will have to see if they take any responsibility for the bad packaging(they've changed it, so they obviously realize it's bad) and offer any type of compensation besides a patch kit. Or I just deal with a patch kit...because that may be my only actual option...

emulous74

If GFC doesn't give you satisfaction, your credit card company will let you file a claim and go to bat for you. American Express gave me back all my money on a damaged Alu-Cab tent because Bomber Products was even giving them the run around like they did to me.

86scotty

Cynic
Well, time to give an update once again, because Old Dominion has summarily dismissed my claim...

"Our investigation of your claim has been completed. Delivery was made without exception and no evidence was discovered in the course of our investigation which would indicate that the damage occurred while the shipment was in our possession. "

Basically, we see the pictures, it's obviously the tent was dragged/loaded on it's side and wore through the wrapping, but as you can't prove we did it...too bad. So, as suggested earlier, I will definitely attempt to not deal with Old Dominion as a freight company anymore...although I'm sure just about every other freight company would probably do the same... Anyway, I'm now at the mercy of GFC...I will have to see if they take any responsibility for the bad packaging(they've changed it, so they obviously realize it's bad) and offer any type of compensation besides a patch kit. Or I just deal with a patch kit...because that may be my only actual option...

This sucks and I'm not trying to be that guy but I'm not surprised at all. I was hoping it would work out better for you. Didn't someone above say OD was amazing and their friend owned the company and all this? Perhaps they would care to chime in now.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
In the freight business we used to view claims as a sales issue. If it affected sales then the claim was looked into otherwise it is declined.

I've always viewed the carrier as an extension of the manufacturer. It is wise to see how the carrier is handling your freight. So much of the freight business is mechanized and it is rare to see a handler use a hand truck, everything is done with forklifts so you have to design your packaging to take this into account.

There is always a tradeoff. If you pack light then your freight and packaging costs are much less but your claims are much higher. It pays to overpack and charge more for shipping as the customer is more happy in the end.

One trick I used to do is to work with my carrier to allow customers pick up at the freight terminal. If you work it right, the freight costs are much lower. Have the customer arrive with their roofbars attached and the carrier will dispose of the packaging, make sure the tent is unharmed and load the tent on top of the vehicle with a forklift. It is alway a wise idea to contribute to their beer fund afterwards.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The various types of packaging- I’m guessing GFC is using whatever is locally available at time of shipping so every buyer is likely seeing different packaging ?. Ie Crap shoot

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I think the bigger take a way here is that if you have a GFC Superlite on order, don't let the delivery driver leave until you have inspected every inch of it. Just as GFC recommends.
Some tips have been given on what to look for and the different types of packaging.

emulous74

My delivery driver helped me carry it in to my garage there was no way in hell that a delivery driver is going to stand around and wait for you to unpack your tent, any business that thinks that is possible is being unrealistic and dreaming if that statement absolves them of any liability in the eyes of the consumer.

sn_85

Observer
I think the bigger take a way here is that if you have a GFC Superlite on order, don't let the delivery driver leave until you have inspected every inch of it. Just as GFC recommends.
Some tips have been given on what to look for and the different types of packaging.

Sounds like GFC is trying to cover their rear ends when putting out a statement like that. This wouldn't be a problem if they would just package it correctly. Looks like they package it like a box spring. They want to put the onus on the paying customer to make sure their product is not beat to pieces on arrival when they should be the ones taking the necessary precautions in packaging and protecting it.

codertimt

Observer
So, I felt like I should give an update as I now have a final resolution from Go Fast. Completely different experience than some others have apparently had...well some shared frustration about timings and communication(they have a shared support email address, that someone uninformed of the situation could pick up and respond to) but fully different resolution it appears. Back in June I thought I had a resolution of full new fabric parts for tent, there was another delay in oversea shipments and so I kind of just ignored it for awhile. I asked for an update at the end of July and was contacted by phone at the beginning of August; they wanted to pivot back to a patch kit, expressing concern over the customer having to basically fully disassemble the tent to replace the soft parts. As of that time(Aug 5th) I was informed they are having issues finding a glue that performed like they wanted. So I once again gave them time to get that sorted to see what the patch results would look like. Received an email with photo example of patch a week ago. Was offered additional phone conversations to discuss, but I personally prefer email, it allows me to formulate my thoughts more clearly and with less emotion. I politely, but succinctly informed them I would not be satisfied with a patch on a brand new, unused tent. I would accept all liability for installing new tent fabric, I don't need the new tent fabric immediately as I don't wish to impact their current delivery obligations, but that is what I needed to be a satisfied customer. Also told them if a patch kit was the only thing they could provide within their current business parameters, then so be it...please sent it, but we would have no reason for further dialog. GFC expressed understanding of my position and as of a few moments ago, I took delivery of 20 pounds of new canvas(or polyester or whatever it is) and screen. So as for my particular journey, it was a crummy situation for all involved(except Old Dominion, they cleaned their hands at first legal opportunity). Packaging was changed and an attempt was made to communicate in a way that suited me best, and in the end I was left a "happy camper"... So, while not the fastest or smoothest resolution, GFC does appear to be attempting to do their best to work for their customers...again, at least in my situation.

emulous74

I'm glad you got what you asked for, my results so far haven't been the same. It's interesting how folks are being told different things about patch kits, and no kits are being made, etc. I still have nothing for the holes in my tent cover and still being patronized that it's all my fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles