Dealing with shipping damage...Go Fast Superlite

codertimt

Observer
Hey all, been quite a while since I posted on here, but thought I would solicit some advice from like minded folks. Last Wednesday I received my GFC Superlite...super excited as you would expect. Looked over wrapped packaging and while I saw scuffs and wear mark and a couple of small torn places in the wrapping, overall it seemed okay so I started unwrapping it. As I got it unwrapped and started to unzip the cover I found two small holes on the side, pictures attached. As I see it, the shipping company(Old Dominion) had loaded it on that one side and there were two pressure points that wore holes, furthermore, there was inadequate protection on those sides to prevent such damage while packaging... I immediately contacted Old Dominion(like 10 minutes after the truck left), and they opened a "hidden damage" claim and told me to contact Go Fast, which I did...and which bring me to the reason for this post.

Go Fast is apparently putting together a patch kit a solution for this. In my mind, that is an inadequate solution for damage caused by the packaging and handling of my tent during shipment. Am I overreacting or should an undamaged, unpatched tent be the actual final solution for this issue? Thoughts? Opinions? I just did a quick search and found that I am not the only one with this type of shipping damage...thus I assume their desire to find a non-replacement solution...

******EDIT******
Just wanted to edit to say that there was missing information and differing directions from the shipper and the freight company as how to proceed as well as general confusion on my part, so please read thread to the end before forming opinions on parties involved. At time of edit, don't actually know the final outcome...but definitely more hopeful than when originally posted....

PXL_20210428_172427667 (Medium).jpg PXL_20210428_172544928 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_172427667.jpg
    PXL_20210428_172427667.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
Am I overreacting or should an undamaged, unpatched tent be the actual final solution for this issue? Thoughts? Opinions? I just did a quick search and found that I am not the only one with this type of shipping damage...thus I assume their desire to find a non-replacement solution...

View attachment 658733 View attachment 658734
You didn't buy a used slightly damaged product, you bought a new product, the seller is responsible for packing their product in a way that protects the product from shipping damage, the manufacturer should send you a new undamaged product.

ripperj

Explorer
Isn’t there another post with almost the same issue and proposed result?
I too agree, that you are paying for new and should receive substantial discount for a damaged tent

Edit- I see you found the other thread :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

codertimt

Observer
Isn’t there another post with almost the same issue and proposed result?
I too agree, that you are paying for new and should receive substantial discount for a damaged tent

Edit- I see you found the other thread :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, I went ahead and posted as I figured a separate post could hopefully bring more attention to the issue. Two damaged tents in a week posted here makes me wonder just how many claims they might be dealing with at the moment.

Reactions: MCX

emulous74

I'm the other person that made a thread, the difference is I didn't want a new tent, cover, or money back (which I personally think I have a right to if I wanted that) and only asked GFC for a patch kit, and told them that their packaging was inadequate (in nice terms). GFC told me to make a claim with Old Dominion and that was all, not sorry you received a damage tent, not we are working on a patch kit, not answering my question of attaching the tent using Leitner tent brackets, not we are reviewing our packaging. When I told Old Dominion I didn't want a new tent or money compensation they told me to talk to GFC.

highwest

Does Old Dominion ship everything for GFC? Is it possible GFC asked Old Dominion to design the packaging to accommodate their own sipping conditions and this is why GFC is pushing all the claims to Old Dominion?

Just a theory...

I think GFC has done something really innovative and jump started the whole camper top market. I want to get behind them, but some (probably exceptions) customer service reports leave something to be desired.

codertimt

Observer
Does Old Dominion ship everything for GFC? Is it possible GFC asked Old Dominion to design the packaging to accommodate their own sipping conditions and this is why GFC is pushing all the claims to Old Dominion?

Just a theory...

I think GFC has done something really innovative and jump started the whole camper top market. I want to get behind them, but some (probably exceptions) customer service reports leave something to be desired.
Not sure if they use Old Dominion exclusively. In my particular case, I contacted Old Dominion and started the claims process first. They also instructed me to contact GFC. I really think that is simply because the "shipping contract" is between Go Fast and Old Dominion...so the dispute has to be arbitrated between those two parties. One thing I don't know is who is actually doing the packaging. Because the packaging, coupled with transporting the tents on the unprotected side is 100% the culprit of these tents getting damaged...it's a super easy fix for them going forward.

I'm really, really hoping we can come to a solution "making it right", whatever that might end up being...but yeah, they're not off to a good start in the customer service game IMO thus far.

plh

Explorer

Just a theory...

I've never heard of a trucking company designing or even advising on packaging. There are ISO and other standards available, but it is up to the seller (GFC in this case) to design and test the pack, not the transportation company.

86scotty

Cynic
I've never heard of a trucking company designing or even advising on packaging. There are ISO and other standards available, but it is up to the seller (GFC in this case) to design and test the pack, not the transportation company.

But they should and companies like GFC should listen. Most of the time companies don't. They have this insane notion that their carefully made high dollar product is going to float on a cloud between destinations with only white gloves and piano movers assisting, simply because it costs a lot. Not the case. Encase your product in lead. Shipping companies are not in the business of caring. Claims are small potatoes for them.

I'll copy paste what I said in the other forum. Hopefully it helps someone:

I feel for both parties on issues like this. For the seller, not GFC but any seller, you can't pay a shipping company enough to treat it like it's yours. You literally have to encase it in lead. Ever order a widget from Amazon and shows up broken or is just general crap so you call in and they just say 'keep it, we'll refund you or send you another'. This is the problem. Mass production at the level that statistically most people don't complain, even when there are small problems, so this over time gives shipping companies license to be lazy. And boy, they are. They don't pay people to care, they pay people to move faster, faster, more, more. It's the reason I left the industry.

I realize I'm ranting about something way too big to change but here's how you can minimize problems. You CAN demand to know how your package will be shipped. Some companies have better claim policies and take better care than others. If the seller won't tell you how they are shipping it or give you options then don't give them your money. Yes, that can be a tough call when it's a small batch item you really want (like a GFC or similar). Here's the second thing and it's big. TRY TO MINIMIZE how many times your item is moved. In LTL, on a roof top tent for instance, that thing was loaded and unloaded in 5 or more different trucks if it went across as many states. You can minimize this in a few ways.

If you can pick it up from the dock then do so. Every LTL company has a dock locally or regionally. That's one less truck it will be thrown on, and I do mean thrown. BE HOME the day it's supposed to come or have it delivered to where you will be. If you aren't it's moved off the truck, back on, back off the truck at the dock, knocked and bumped around a few more times and the potential for damage by the second delivery attempt is compounded exponentially.

At the end of the day you can't guarantee everything will be perfect unless you pick it up where it was made. It's a total catch22 because paying a shipper enough to care will be as difficult and expensive as just driving there to pick it up yourself.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
They have this insane notion that their carefully made high dollar product is going to float on a cloud between destinations with only white gloves
Many shipping companies actually do have white glove service, if you want to pay for it. FedEx Custom Critical is how one place I worked moved stuff off our dock. That service is no joke treated like its irreplaceable because it usually is. It's a question of economics though and it's way cheaper to just pack your tents right so that shipping damage is unlikely.

86scotty

Cynic
I’m aware Dave. I worked for them for 25 years. It is a great service that few people will pay for. I stand by my post and thoughts. Shippers need to understand how stuff will be treated, especially LTL. I’m not at all giving GFC a pass here. All parties involved should improve but it isn’t likely to change systemwide.

Less hands/truck changes equal better treatment.

I also had an RTT shipped to me, LTL, a year or so ago. No damage to the packaging, In fact it was very good. Inside though, similar problems. Vibration abrasions and a couple rub marks. I lived with it. This was FreeSpirit Recreation, likely shipped from China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online