Dealer Service on a '12 JKUR, do they even know what Rubicon is?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Sometimes I really wonder about my dealership.

First off, they have a program where oil changes are free if you do the rest of the maintenance at the required intervals. That has worked out well on the Power Wagon, so we signed up for it on the Jeep.

Had Miss Rubi in for an oil change, and since I know the guy that does the service work, I asked to see the diff fluid. The Heep has 16K on it, so the rear diff oil still has all the phosphorus and other junk in it for break in. It was pretty dark, so I had'm do a drain and refill.

When I got the bill, it seemed high, but I was pressed for time, paid it, and headed out. Finally read the itemized receipt at home, and found they had used a bottle of limited slip additive - $10.00. I called the service rep, and he said they use it in every Jeep that comes in - it's required. I said, no, it's not, a Rubicon doesn't have a limited slip diff, it's an electric locker only. Of course, he sez, it has both in it. I sez, nope, the helical gear LDS was eliminated when the JK's came out, and even in the TJ, the helical gear LDS didn't need additive. He insisted it was required. I said, yeah it is, if you have the Trac-Lok, and we don't, Rubicons have the Tru-Lok.

So, after transferring to the Service Manager, I went thru the whole thing again. Same routine. Blah, blah, blah. I finally quoted him page #560 from the owners manual:

Axle Differential (Rear)

226 RBI (Model 44) - MOPAR Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 80W-90) (API
GL-5) or equivalent. For trailer towing, use MOPAR Synthetic Gear & Axle
Lubricant (SAE 75W-140) or equivalent. Models equipped with Trac-Lok™
require an additive.

Got a credit after 30 minutes of getting the run around...

Anyway, I guess the point of this is watch the buggers. They don't seem to have a clue. It's the same with the Power Wagon. It has to have the locker magnets cleaned with the diff is serviced, and they didn't have any experience with that either. I figured that was because the big trucks are somewhat rare, but after this episode, I tend to think it's just a general lack of knowledge.

Mark

4xdog

Explorer
Holy cow -- will you ever trust them on any job again? I'd find a new dealer. From my experience, the "culture" in a dealer's shop is persistent over years and years, and if they just aren't that good now it's unlikely they'll ever get there.

onetraveller

Adventurer
Some dealer mechanics are really good. But most of them are just remove and replace technicians. Try finding someone to rebuild a carburetor from a 1979 FJ 40 or to diagnose a miss on a 1980 Fiat Spider. Most of the newer techs have no idea how a carb works or how to diagnose problems without a computer telling them what to do.

Mike

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I half suspect it was all a line of BS - they have probably been charging everyone the $10.00 so they get the extra commission on sales.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I half suspect it was all a line of BS - they have probably been charging everyone the $10.00 so they get the extra commission on sales.

This is more the truth...why correct a lack of knowledge that results in extra money for the dealership?

86tuning

Adventurer
Good thing is that LSD additives won't hurt anything. Many gear oils have that additive built-in.

From the dealerships perspective I'm sure the parts counter has gotten in trouble many many times for not supplying it to their lube techs. And from a lube techs perspective if they forget to put LSD additive into a limited slip differential their boss will get a complaint. And they'll get in trouble.

Usually there are no complaints when they put that stuff in, so they just make it their standard procedure. Only a careful eye would see the $6-10 charge for LSD friction modifier and complain. Most people are clueless about that and just pay their bill.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
As much as I loathe stealerships, I really don't think it's a service department conspiracy to profit an extra ~$3 on 4x4 differential oil changes (after materials and labor are paid out).

I have a feeling it's probably a "SOP" in order to ensure they won't miss it when LSD vehicles DO come in. Better to err on the side of caution and put it in everything. I also noticed just recently when looking up differential threads that a LOT of owners on a LOT of forums still seem to think lockers (units with just gears, no clutch packs) require LSD additive. So it's not limited to just the stealerships. ;)

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Mark, FWIW, we will only buy parts from York. We had a client's vehicle in for a warranty diff replacement (Dana manufacturing defect) and they barely knew what to do. Thetech put it in 4 Lo and drove some turns in the parking lot and was convinced that the whole drive train needed to be replaced because the tires were chirping....what a ding-a-ling.
I know they were bought out about 1 1/2 years ago and obviously have not made any improvements in the service department.

Nena Barlow, owner of Barlow Jeep Rentals in Sedona swears by her dealer in Cottonwood. I think it is called Oxendale. It may be a little bit of a haul over the hill but they seem to know what they are doing. Nena does not suffer fools gladly.

TTaM

Is 30 minutes of aggrivation really worth $10? I understand the frustration of getting charged for it, but I don't think it would be worth my time to argue over the phone. I always study the work order before paying.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I can't stand my local Jeep dealer. Not so much the mechanics but the Service writers and manager. After a couple of attempts to schedule both of our Jeeps for oil changes and being told "I'll have to call you back" everytime. He never called back. I even called to complain and was referred to their online customer survey. Never received a response from that either. Then the whole miserable task trying to buy a new JK and attempting to trade my 2007 Rubi in. I did freak the sales dude out when I was test driving a rubi by putting it in 4lo, 1st gear and getting out to walk next to it...:Wow1: They didn't have the model I wanted and gave me an unacceptable quote to order it. Then when trying to haggle my way down, was made to feel like I was asking the impossible and single handedly going to bankrupt the company. The reason I went in was that they had sent me a card saying they were willing to give me 130% KBB for my 2007 JKU Rubicon.......their offer$ 9500.....9500!

Called the guy back after 2 weeks and said I had to drive 100 miles away to get the deal I wanted. He did say "we couldn't touch that." The Jeep dealer I ended up with gave me 18000 for my jeep right off the bat.

The local Dodge dealer thinks it funny that I take our Jeeps to a dodge dealer for service just down the street from the Jeep place.

justfred

Adventurer
My mechanic never gives me any LSD additive. Not even a bag of grass now and then. And with the prices I pay, he really should!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Is 30 minutes of aggrivation really worth $10? I understand the frustration of getting charged for it, but I don't think it would be worth my time to argue over the phone. I always study the work order before paying.

Yup - that's 50 miles of gas on a day trip, or a six pack of Stone IPA for the end of day when camping, etc, etc, etc.

It was also worth it to find out how little York Motors actually knows about their products. As mentioned by Mario at Adventure Trailer, I have an option for service, so we'll see how it goes with York. It's a PITA to do service work 40 miles away, but it may be worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior