Dead in the water.....need advice on what to do with my bum motor. 2006 Montero

hardwaregrrl

Ignore list
Hey all! I bought a 2006 Montero back in October of 2019 with 69k. I proceeded to do all the maintenance catch up stuff asap, so first was the timing belt and parts along with an updated crank bolt. Did the tune up and split the plenum to check the butterfly screws, valve cover gaskets. All was well. The I put the OME suspension kit on it, new tires, rebuilt both CV axles, new brake rotors and pads, new rear bearings.....all Mitsu/asian parts. Trans and differential fluids done. Basically, I was trying really hard to have this be a long term vehicle for me. Well, somehow the top end was starved for oil.....I've been running 5/30 rotella in it and doing changes 3-4 months as the car sat for a few years being passed around like a hot potato. I've always been afraid to do an engine flush so I would do the seafoam trick before the change. Everything was fine, except the mpgs. No funny noises, no noticeable smoke, no cel. Then in September I had a slight flicker of the oil light, I was 2 hours from home at a rental. So the next day I went and had the oil changed. Then I drove it home and the oil light came on. I shut it down and towed it home. Oil pressure was fine and found the sender tip broken. Then last week I was at a job site and checked the oil, found it a bit low and topped it off. Not 3 miles later, oil light is on and the valve train is very noisy. I had it towed to the shop and Miles my tech saying the motor isn't worth saving as we can't possibly know where the blockage is. He was saying pulling the pick up and oil pump is a lot of work and won't be a smoking gun. The VA are hammered and it looks like I had a small fire in the heads.

I'm trying to figure out if a remaned engine is worth it at this point. Used motors are ridiculously priced. Just wondering if anyone here has had good luck with a reman unit and where they got it. Thanks all....

Mike W.

Try Gearheadengines.com for what's invested i would replace the motor..

They warranty motors and back it up..I've had good luck with them in the past..

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I tried to buy used engines for my 2002 Montero (3.5L) and got ripped off twice, I lost thousands of dollars in the process. I would suggest NOT going that route. Unless you see it in front of you, can touch it, and and can walk away with it at that moment, it's just a phantom.

Ultimately I got a new-to-me engine from the local pick-your-part and rebuilt it at home and installed it. Runs better than my Honda

hardwaregrrl

Ignore list
I tried to buy used engines for my 2002 Montero (3.5L) and got ripped off twice, I lost thousands of dollars in the process. I would suggest NOT going that route. Unless you see it in front of you, can touch it, and and can walk away with it at that moment, it's just a phantom.

Ultimately I got a new-to-me engine from the local pick-your-part and rebuilt it at home and installed it. Runs better than my Honda
Yeah I wish that was the case but they are never in junkyards in the SE for some reason. I can't even find a remaned unit. I might have to give up or rebuild the existing motor and never fully trusting it.....

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
As a last ditch effort to save the motor, or get it to clear the blockage, you could attempt to run Seafoam in the oil. It can help to clear sludge and any contaminants that are blocking oil passages. Not the best solution, but won't hurt to try if you plan to get a motor anyway.

It may also have stuck lifters. They can be cleaned or replaced, but while stuck they cannot adjust the valve lash with the hydraulic pressure. Normal procedure if they are stuck and not clogged is to rev to 2500-3000 in neutral for about 10 seconds to help them refill. This may cause damage if there are other issues, though.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Pull it and have it rebuilt.......put it back in. Then enjoy not having engine issues to worry about for 5-10 years.

hardwaregrrl

Ignore list
Pull it and have it rebuilt.......put it back in. Then enjoy not having engine issues to worry about for 5-10 years.
yep, this is what we've decided to do.....mic all the bearings, new oil pump, rebuild heads, blah blah blah....fix other annoying issues...... After talking with folks about the longevity of the bottom end I'm pretty confident that this is the best path forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles