DC to DC Laptop & Phone Chargers

fiddypal

Adventurer
Any idea where i can get a reputable laptop charger that is DC to DC? Phones should be pretty easy since i can easily get the little cig outlet plugs, but what about laptops?

Seems pretty stupid to convert to AC then back to DC just to charge the laptop battery, i bet it charges alot faster off straight DC too....

Laptop is the biggest power drain i can think that i need to deal with in my setup.

Thanks!

hudsonhawk

Observer
Check prodctodc.com.
The commercially available dc to dc power supply I bought for my notebook was very noisy electrically. As a HAM that was unacceptable. I bought a converter from the site above and made my own PS using the cable ends from the bad unit I bought. It is very quiet and adjustable so it can be used for multiple applications.

WUzombies

Adventurer
I hard wired USB power ports on their own circuit for charging, very good solution and leaves the accessory port/cigarette lighter open for random things. Laptop dc to dc converters exist and aren't expensive, you'll need to do a little homework on what your laptop needs. Some are 18vdc some 15 or 20. All of those emergency vehicles with mounted MDCs aren't running inverters.

fiddypal

Adventurer
The main reason i do not want to use a cig plug is that type connection is terrible IMO and should not be used in a proper setup for a semi permanent installation. If you are throwing the fridge in the back of the jeep for a weekend at the beach, then yeah the cig plug is fine for that but having a mounted fridge in a truck/van i would feel safer with better connections.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have been using the I-GO brand for years and work great.
Targus also has 12v-19v chargers.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm in the same boat as you, I really don't want to go DC->AC->DC for charging, so I have 12v chargers for everything (cameras, laptop, batteries, etc.)

For my mac book air, I got this GPK Car Charger for Laptops and I'm very happy with it.

The power brick is kind of large, but it's also stepping up to 14.85v at ~3A so it makes sense.

The magsafe connector works great, though the LED doesn't change color when the battery is full, like the Apple one does.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior