Dash Cam/Truck mounted cameras

RoamIt

I'm finally getting my truck and need to plan out the electronics. My thought right now is to get some combination of Ipad/Garmin Overlander/In Reach. I'd also like to have a dash cam, with camera's on both sides and rear of the rig. Something that I can monitor remote when away from the truck.

Any recommendations around a setup that combine all of the above?

clydeps

I've got a similar setup - it's still a work in progress but the basics are up and running. I have five cameras so far, one dedicated low-mounted rear view camera displaying on a screen where the rear view mirror was (it records onto an SD card) 4 more high-mounted dome type security cameras connected with POE ethernet to a switch and a Raspberry Pi running Moonfire NVR software. It has a 1TB SSD for storage and a router for 4G connectivity and local WiFi.

Low power consumption was a primary goal, it's currently drawing about 1.5A recording 24/7. My goal was less than 20W so it's about there.

I can connect to the NVR wia WiFi or remotely (haven't used that much) and I have replaced the in-dash head unit with a 10" Android head unit that can display the recordings, or connect directly to the cameras. That head unit also has several mapping programs installed. The 10" display is awesome, but I made a mistake in getting a touch-only unit - without steering wheel controls it's a pain. I have fixes planned for that, otherwise it works well.

The recording side is working well, live view still has some issues I think due to poor WiFi performance. I will probably put a custom app on the head unit for live display in a nice format.

I am also going to add a dedicated dashcam in the cab - I have a Dride 4k on order but still waiting.

BillFitz

Wow, great subject!

FWIW, I run a cabover with a house on back, 10’ tall, 21’ long. My camera choices have evolved over four years and 50,000 miles. I have a 10’ high rear view camera, an under bumper mounted rear view camera, and one camera on each side of my cab facing to the rear. All of them display on a 7“ HD monitor mounted to my cab ceiling where a rear view mirror would be on a typical vehicle. When I use my turn signals or put the truck in reverse the appropriate camera takes over the entire screen, otherwise all four images are displayed while underway. The high rear view is to see what’s going on behind me, to help plan those lane changes. The low camera is strictly for backing up. The side cameras are for lane changes.

It’s funny to think I need cameras to change lanes, but if anybody has driven on a freeway through a major American city where knuckleheads use the slow lane for passing on the right at 80 mph, you’ll understand.

I also have a BlackVue 750 1-channel top center in my windshield with a card large enough to record 24 hours of continuous content.

The rear and side cams are mostly for on-road use. Their use off-road while underway is marginal. Since the wife and I travel solo, I have no need to see who is behind me on the trail, but it may be of use to somebody.

OTOH, I always use the video from the BlackVue camera for IG posts or family use. The BlackVue easily bluetooths to my iPad or iPhone and I can quickly download one minute clips. I always have a note pad on my center console and write down the time that we’ve gone through a particularly difficult or scenic trail, then I’ll DL the video clip later in camp. I have also pulled the SD card and downloaded the entire day’s content onto my laptop, but what am I going to do with eight hours of video??? I want to relax on the trail and not be a slave to my electronics.

As far as navigation, I don’t use an all-in-one solution because you can’t use a Garmin Drive (for example) for anything other than navigation. I use a 12.5” iPad Pro with both Gaia and Avenza maps. Gaia has awesome route planning and route recording capabilities, and Avenza is the vendor of choice for USFS and USNP maps and most of those maps are free. USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) are easily downloaded and use those A LOT when wheeling out west. And when not navigation, my iPad can be used for lots of other stuff.

FWIW, my iPad is on a Ulanzi iPad mount which is attached to a Artcise LB52 gimble which is then mounted forward on my center console. Both those gizmos are available on Amazon. That way I can tilt the iPad where I want it and swivel it right or left so the driver or passenger can do the navigating.

If you don’t have a GPS capable iPad, you can bluetooth a Garmin InReach device to your iPad, providing you with real time location services.

I’ll typically download all of my route and area maps at home and augment maps the road using Starbuck’s wifi (thank you Starbucks) so if you are thinking about using an niPad screen for navigation, buy one with the biggest memory you can afford so you don’t have to stop to download new maps over wifi.

And finally, I respect Clydeps’ four dome always running security cam setup, but that’s a lot of content. In town or in the wild I’m not concerned about security at all. But at night I do put a $100 game camera about a foot off the ground under the truck to capture video of critters visiting our campsite, and I have some pretty cool videos of foxes, ringtails, deer, elk, mice and a domestic cat or two. Yes, we have video of domestic cats out there in the middle of nowhere. Go figure.

If you do want some sort of 24/7 security check out BlackVue’s cameras with Parking Mode. Some of them even integrate into your vehicle‘s 4G system, if you have that option in your truck.

RoamIt

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Why do you have 2 camera's in the rear? Is the under bumper for a towing setup?

WanderingBison

I use an Axis F44 camera system, primarily for security. Two cameras mounted on the sides, one to the rear and one mounted as a dash cam.

It’s not cheap but works extremely well, can be triggered by motion and are remotely accessible over a network connection.

To view either live footage or recorded footage, you need some sort of on-board network (and internet connectivity if you want to view remotely) and to use their app. I use their app on my iPhone and iPads.

It’s been great for security and the odd instance when a dash cam comes in handy (crashes involving others, excitement when a deer decides to cross in front of you).

I have the cameras mounted very discretely but if you walk up to the van and pay attention, it’s clear they are cameras.

That has likely been a good deterrent from petty crime (knock on wood) and was even at Mexican check points ;)

I love the system and will be using a similar system on the next rig, even though it’s a pricy option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GENX

I made a mistake in getting a touch-only unit - without steering wheel controls it's a pain. I have fixes planned for that, otherwise it works well.

The recording side is working well, live view still has some issues I think due to poor WiFi performance. I will probably put a custom app on the head unit for live display in a nice format.

I am also going to add a dedicated dashcam in the cab - I have a Dride 4k on order but still waiting.
So what kind of head end unit has remote steering wheel controls? I would think the PI could take inputs and be programmed to control your view no?
I like the concept of that Dride 4k. Keep us posted....

draku

I've got a similar setup - it's still a work in progress but the basics are up and running. I have five cameras so far, one dedicated low-mounted rear view camera displaying on a screen where the rear view mirror was (it records onto an SD card) 4 more high-mounted dome type security cameras connected with POE ethernet to a switch and a Raspberry Pi running Moonfire NVR software. It has a 1TB SSD for storage and a router for 4G connectivity and local WiFi.

What brand/models are your dome cameras? How high did you mount them? Do you have any photos of the installation that you would want to share?

I am looking at similar hardware for my rig and still debating if I want to make them visible or less conspicuous. The other trade-off is vandalism protection vs identification: if you mount them higher they are more protected but makes identification more difficult.

Moonfire NVR looks interesting. Have you looked at Frigate? Has entity detection that can be offloaded to hardware TPU and can be integrated in Home Assistant.
I am in the research stage on this topic, super curious what others have built in this area... sorry for all the questions ?

draku

I use an Axis F44 camera system, primarily for security. Two cameras mounted on the sides, one to the rear and one mounted as a dash cam
[...]
I have the cameras mounted very discretely but if you walk up to the van and pay attention, it’s clear they are cameras.

Super cool the Axis modular system where the sensor unit is separate from the processing unit. Didn't know about it, thanks for sharing!
Did you mount the side cameras in the middle of the van length? Are they super wide-angle? Did you create custom housing for those sensors? I assume you used the F10XX sensors which don't seem to be outdoor proof.

I'm considering these 3 placements:
- one wide-angle installed at the midpoint
- two super wide-angle cameras on each side each at 1/3 and 2/3 of the rig length
- two cameras on each side (fov between 90-110degrees) , one pointed towards the back and the other one pointing towards the front of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles