Das Bus

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
At this point, there is pretty much only one thing left to say...

"Needs more cowbell."

hitek79

Explorer
Despite everything not working the first time and having to be redone, I'm officially going to say the project has been worth it It's gotten me to places I couldn't go in a normal rig and allowed me to take all my gear and sleep every comfortably at night.

A photo from White Pocket last evening.

Muddy%20Mountains%20%281%20of%201%29-5-X2.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Amazing pictures! So the mattress heater, it says low voltage, does that mean you have hacked it up to run on 12V or do you still power though an inverter?

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Inspired.... or insane?

Not sure if your postings, photos and upgrades have made me inspired- or insane- but I just put a deposit on this vehicle and will pick it up Tuesday, assuming no red flags appear as I continue doing some research.

Any words of wisdom/caution/advice are welcome before I sign the final paperwork.

image.jpg

I offered a little less than the asking price... it has a ton of miles (290k!), but seems a pretty bomb-proof platform, a professionally maintained 7.3 turbo diesel (it was fleet vehicle for a transit system), solid transmission, and the all-fiberglass body means no worries about rust up top. Tires look decent, tho the front pair are worn unevenly suggesting some shock/alignment issues. Heavy duty power-assist brakes, and a wheelchair hydraulic lift in the rear side door to load, well, who knows what. 60 gallon diesel fuel tank.

So.... lots of potential for transporting friends, kayaks, bikes, camp gear, etc. Professional heavy duty tow package in rear. And being a '97, no smog required in CA (at least for now- hoping laws don't change again)

Initial goal: a trip with friends/family to Baja, to see whales in 1 month. We will do a week of travel/camping with about 8 or 9 people- the amount I can legally carry in this current set up, without needing a commercial drivers license. I figure it will be easier than herding cats, I mean, caravaning down with 3 or 4 cars, esp with drivers who have never driven in Baja before.

Then, I'm looking at doing a basic RV set up, but not the 4WD lift kit (at least- not right away). Apparently that is an option, as your rig demonstrates. I'll start saving my pennies.

It may stay parked for a while in northern Baja, about 100 miles south of my San Diego home, and serve as temporary lodging while I do some work on a lot I own near San Miguel surfing beach.

So.... inspired? Insane? A little of both? If anyone who has purchased/owns a similar rig knows something I should have a pro mechanic check out before sealing the deal, please advise!

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
How did you install the Sienna seats?

Did you use the Ujoint mounts or...? (The bus I'm considering has different attachment points, it appears.)

Amphibeast

Adventurer
LOVE THIS DAS BUS!

The under belly boxes I see in your pics.... did you add them? They look stock.. Is there a manufacturers sticker on the inside door or something? I am looking to put some of these on one of my rigs..

Here's a teaser on my bus:IMG_1728.jpg

I'll do a build thread after the "big" lift is done here.... talk about liftin' dat booty! (FYI the ladder is 6' for reference.... my neighbors hate me- god bless no HOA)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Did you use the Ujoint mounts or...? (The bus I'm considering has different attachment points, it appears.)

Yes, UJOR Sienna mounts.
I may have a set of near-new take-out '11 Sienna (2nd row) captain's chairs in gray cloth available soon, only ~4000mi on them(1 trip). PM me if interested.

hitek79

Explorer
Not sure if your postings, photos and upgrades have made me inspired- or insane- but I just put a deposit on this vehicle and will pick it up Tuesday, assuming no red flags appear as I continue doing some research.

Any words of wisdom/caution/advice are welcome before I sign the final paperwork.

View attachment 273228

I offered a little less than the asking price... it has a ton of miles (290k!), but seems a pretty bomb-proof platform, a professionally maintained 7.3 turbo diesel (it was fleet vehicle for a transit system), solid transmission, and the all-fiberglass body means no worries about rust up top. Tires look decent, tho the front pair are worn unevenly suggesting some shock/alignment issues. Heavy duty power-assist brakes, and a wheelchair hydraulic lift in the rear side door to load, well, who knows what. 60 gallon diesel fuel tank.

So.... lots of potential for transporting friends, kayaks, bikes, camp gear, etc. Professional heavy duty tow package in rear. And being a '97, no smog required in CA (at least for now- hoping laws don't change again)

Initial goal: a trip with friends/family to Baja, to see whales in 1 month. We will do a week of travel/camping with about 8 or 9 people- the amount I can legally carry in this current set up, without needing a commercial drivers license. I figure it will be easier than herding cats, I mean, caravaning down with 3 or 4 cars, esp with drivers who have never driven in Baja before.

Then, I'm looking at doing a basic RV set up, but not the 4WD lift kit (at least- not right away). Apparently that is an option, as your rig demonstrates. I'll start saving my pennies.

It may stay parked for a while in northern Baja, about 100 miles south of my San Diego home, and serve as temporary lodging while I do some work on a lot I own near San Miguel surfing beach.

So.... inspired? Insane? A little of both? If anyone who has purchased/owns a similar rig knows something I should have a pro mechanic check out before sealing the deal, please advise!

HAHA! Awesome man, good for you!

So thinks to look for are definitely water leaks. I'm assuming this is in southern CA, so maybe it's not a huge issue, but my bus does have a leak in it that I can't solve. It doesn't seem to be a massive issue as it drains down below the sub floor, but there is a membrane between the metal frame and the plywood, and in one small area at the very back it caused the wood to rot and a small section of the fiberglass to get a bit weak. I've sealed everything I can possibly see, but if it sits in the rain for hours and hours like it was when it was out east, it still seeps down to the floor. I just drilled holes in to the membrane and cut out and replaced the wood. Most of the rest of it's life is going to be out west in the snow or desert, so the drenching rain won't ever be much of an issue.

Other than that, nothing really. I bought my rig for the utter simplicity of it. One thing I have noticed is that on long decents it's best to take a break half way down or so because these rigs are heavy, and they get the brakes super hot. On the highway it's fine, but on twister roads where you really have to control speed, it's worth the piece of mind to let everything cool off for a few minutes and then finish to the bottom. Post a link here when you start your build!

hitek79

Explorer

My bus has the slotted tracks on the walls and the floors. I drilled out my own holes on the U-Joint mounts and bolted them down like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior