Danfoss BD50 repair

Mr Rehab

Traveller
Need advice on Danfoss BD50 compressor repair.

Fridge failed/stopped some time back; I suspected failed electronic control unit and replaced with a suitable module. The fridge compressor now runs and indications are power is normal but the evaporator is not cooling at all. The compressor gets hot to touch but will keep running, fan is running and I can hear refrigerant gurgling through the evaporator.

Fault analysis guidelines (online) suggest the fridge may have a refrigerant overcharge and compressor can not get up enough speed - but the fridge has run fine for past 3 yrs until the control unit failed, and no changes since failure other than the control unit. I have a resistor set supplied with the replacement control unit that will vary compressor speed but reluctant to try it in case of damage to the compressor.
Anybody have similar experience with these compressor fridges? Any advice appreciated.

Travelling northern Argentina so finding a suitable repair shop is a little tricky.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Does the evap get warm, and the condenser cold? Did you check that the controller is an match exactly? You can have a shop with sensitive equipment evac and charge with the tiny amount of 134a it takes.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
At cruisersforum a post should get Richard Kollman's attention

Mr Rehab

Traveller
Thanks for the responses. Checked the refrigerant after a fashion when I thought I’d test it by letting out a little gas....and found there wasn’t any. Bone dry.

The fridge failed towards the end of our travels last year after we had some electrical problems. The compressor wouldn’t run and it seemed to be the control unit. Compressor started OK (this year) with the new control unit but would heat up and the evaporator wasn’t cooling at all. The truck has been in storage in Uruguay for 11mths so plenty of time for any gas to disappear.

Yes, I found Richard Kollman’s website - very useful and bookmarked for next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier