Damaged MAN Expedition truck

maxbergi

Not mine, just stumbled across this and thought I share.

The box and interior looks really nice, ad states needs engine an transmission, which would be challenging to source here, or complete body swap.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 10.13.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 10.13.50 PM.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 1,730

2000LJ

Observer
Looks like the diesel brothers lot, what ever their company is. My only comment is 65k and it “may” have a title? Seems like a chunk to ask for a parts vehicle with no title, even knowing the new cost. Interior does look nice tho!

biggoolies

Adventurer
How can that be sold in Utah and be registered in the USA? Something like that would have to be bought by a European and shipped back to Europe likely.

Last edited:

biggoolies

Adventurer
With that kind of damage on a truck that size and head on collision with a small car I wouldn’t think the person(s) in the small car would have fared too well

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yeah thats for sure the diesel brothers one. They bought it, took it apart to see what is needed, then realized it was too much work and sold it. If I remember correctly they needed to basically import a whole new engine and trans from Germany.

JumpJ

Adventurer
It's a deal for sure on a very capable rig. Easy $350,000K running. Probably looking at $50-$100K in parts labor/shipping. Maybe you could swap out the MAN engine and tranny for something USA but then you can't legally register it anyway, although I'm sure someone on here can.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Forget about the truck... Buy it, mount the camper on an LMTV and you are set. My need to get creative with the subframe, but not impossible. You will never get a camper like that for that price... The truck it self can be parted out and sold to a wrecker.

b jeepin

Adventurer
Does anyone have specific information, links, owner or history in this vehicle? Know what auctions may have cycled through? I plan to take a look at it and would love to have as much info as possible.

ovrland6250

Starting at 21:15 you can learn about the truck and what they found wrong with it. I like the idea above about taking the camper off and mounting on another chassis.

maxbergi

thanks alot for the link to the episode!

Fast Forward to 31:00 and they go over the cost to rebuild repair..

They do mentioned they paid 10k for the thing. thats insane, was that at an auction?

Fredricksen

Looks like the diesel brothers lot, what ever their company is. My only comment is 65k and it “may” have a title? Seems like a chunk to ask for a parts vehicle with no title, even knowing the new cost. Interior does look nice tho!

I happened to see that episode. They got it cheap..but ended up selling it to some other guy when they couldn't fix it.

ovrland6250

They do mentioned they paid 10k for the thing. thats insane, was that at an auction?

Heavy D mentions that "...an insurance company called us up and asked if we wanted to buy it. So we took a gamble and bought it sight unseen for $10k...". Maybe that's just Hollywood BS. Also, if you watch the full episode, he says they are $21k into the truck (10k purchase price + 5k tow + 6k parts labor) and at the end of the episode he sells the truck to a guy who wants to take it to Idaho for $65k.

If that in fact was true....perhaps the Idaho guy is trying to get his $65k back or the sale never went through because the truck is still sitting at the Diesel Brothers lot. The truck looks like its toast but as others have mentioned the box seems pretty primo if you have the skill set to deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles