Damaged MAN Expedition truck

Msand

Importer
By my estimations.. even if the shipping back to Europe cost $20k and the repairs cost $50k (which are both WAY high) ... there is still a good deal of profit to be made on this.
These vehicles are insanely expensive.

-Dan
Re-work your numbers $50k for maintenance is way low, just buy it and ship the box back put it on another man and you're good, still money to be made.. Until the buyer sues you for selling him a rig with parts that have been in a total loss accident

JumpJ

Adventurer
There is another MAN in this country the guy was trying to sell. I looked into it. He stayed too long over his 1 year visitor permit. After multiple inquiries I was told that that these trucks that overstay their 1 year permit in the USA are subject to fines and possible seizure and that translates to being crushed. They no longer issue paper work at the point of entry. The truck is photographed and data is entered at the port of entry into a national system. Worse is that if you get a license plate somehow through Montana, Florida it is still deemed illegal by the Feds and they can take it on re-entering the country if you popped out for a months overland in MX or something. I was told the fines are based on the blue book value of the vehicle, import tax not paid and the cost to crush the vehicle etc. Can get very expensive. On this one - Buy it-remove the box. donate the chassis to a yard and as others on here have said put the box on something else.

Joe917

Explorer
You must remove the entire vehicle from the NAFTA zone. you will not be able to keep any of it in the USA. Get it to Europe, save the box part out the truck.
There are abandoned trucks all over the world that have outstayed their entry limits and the penalties are higher than the truck value. You better be sure of the legalities before you do anything. Forum advice is worth what you pay for it.

CampStewart

Observer
To me that truck doesn't look all that badly damaged for something that seems to be so valuable. Why couldn't you either import a replacement drivetrain or swap in something easily available in the USA? I am not familiar with the MAN brand, is this something super special and exotic like a Ferarri?

Joe917

Explorer
To me that truck doesn't look all that badly damaged for something that seems to be so valuable. Why couldn't you either import a replacement drivetrain or swap in something easily available in the USA? I am not familiar with the MAN brand, is this something super special and exotic like a Ferarri?
It does not matter what the damage is. IT MUST BE EXPORTED. It is here on a temporary permit and is not eligible for import

Louisd75

Adventurer
That's going to be a expensive logistical nightmare, roll on roll off shipping and it doesn't start, you could ship it open plate tie down but no company would insure it. easy $3,000-$5,000 to just ship it to the nearest port, $4,000-$6,000 to ship it etc etc

Getting it to the RORO is going to be the biggest hassle. I work on ROROs and we deal with inop heavy machinery all the time. If it's a roller then it gets towed on. If it's not a roller then it usually gets forked or towed onto a Mafi and then towed on. You may also be able to do an open topped vehicle container, which would open the options of a containership, though it would then be exposed to the weather.

Getting cargo insurance shouldn't be an issue just because it's an inop.

I don't think there's much of a nightmare to the logistics, but it will cost money. Whether it costs more or less than the value of the vehicle is really going to be up to whomever is buying it.

TheBlueBus

Busdriver
Really common in the EU, but no parts available in Northern America. Maybe Mexico as someone mentioned afore. Lots of electrics so if you swap parts for something that doesn't belong there somethings gonna act up.

MotoMind

You must remove the entire vehicle from the NAFTA zone. you will not be able to keep any of it in the USA. Get it to Europe, save the box part out the truck.
There are abandoned trucks all over the world that have outstayed their entry limits and the penalties are higher than the truck value. You better be sure of the legalities before you do anything. Forum advice is worth what you pay for it.

A couple strong guys, a suitcase of cash, cutting torches, big jacks, a big rig with a flatbed, and no questions would be the American way to solve this problem. What happens to the "truck" doesn't have to be the buyers problem...

OvrlndN00b

The original photos were taken when the show was filmed, they have been picking away at the valuable bits for moths...fridge is toast..no power batteries dead couldn't reach the solar panels, and hopefully something can be done about the smell from toilet
IMG_7046.jpgIMG_7045.jpgIMG_7048.jpgIMG_7047.jpgIMG_7050.jpgIMG_7049.jpgIMG_7041.jpgIMG_7042.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The original photos were taken when the show was filmed, they have been picking away at the valuable bits for months
Too bad the vultures have been picking at it. That sure changes the viability of the camper. Vultures are usually not too careful as they pick the carrion clean. A bad sign when 50% of the lug nuts have been 'salvaged' (?).

Keyne

Adventurer
The original photos were taken when the show was filmed, they have been picking away at the valuable bits for moths...fridge is toast..no power batteries dead couldn't reach the solar panels, and hopefully something can be done about the smell from toilet
View attachment 583132View attachment 583133View attachment 583134View attachment 583135View attachment 583136View attachment 583137View attachment 583138View attachment 583139
Imo this changes the whole deal in a bad way. I was wondering if they at least stored it properly and safely. Scavengers, mice, sun ,water? Who knows. Seeing it being picked over I would pass. If the systems have been worked over then trying to get the house side of things working again would be a lot of work. Basically think of it now as just an Action Mobil shell. What a shame.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Hi guys, local SLC dude here. Gotta be frank, this thread has been a bit of a disaster. No offense to those who have posted but I think forum moderators should keep an eye on things like this: lookie-loos swarming from all walks of life, bad (illegal?) information all over, recommendations that "Acela should go buys this!". Why? Why would you jeopardize a potential deal like this for somebody like "OvrlndN00b" or maybe even some poor clown like me? A number of locals have been looking at this deal and it doesn't help to have a swarm of bored, quarantined overland enthusiasts creating a bidding war on a sketchy, unknown asset. This asset needs to be dissembled, salvaged and parted out. Shipping this beast, especially right now or in the next few months (read the news lately??) will be not difficult, but almost impossible. Shipping is straight-up disrupted and large assets are almost impossible to get across the oceans right now. Ask me how I know, I'm building a distillery right now, thank god I shipped my stills from France in December. Shipping quotes QUADRUPLED from Europe depending on the port. I would say this truck would cost too much to ship to Europe right now.

Not sure what the answer is but the truth is I don't post cool, exotic finds on this forum any more. Just the vanilla stuff because I don't want to RUIN a good deal for a little guy. I'm sure there have been many many "flips" that have germinated here. Truth is EP has become a phenomenon, congrats to Scott and the team, but with that comes greater responsibility. Just some clowns 2 cents.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Too bad its not a regular Action Mobil box without a lifting roof. IMO It would be much easier to apply to another chassis without the lifting roof. Depending on the condition the box could be worth a lot more than $100K. Heck XP offered to make a cube for $125K and that certainly was not an Action Mobil. If someone wanted to make their own box I think this would be a quicker and potentially cheaper or break-even solution vs DIY. Maybe offer $50K and add it to an Acela or Mercedes chassis.

Not sure why the lifting roof would dissuade you. Probably the coolest, rarest thing about this box. Should have zero bearing on its mount-ability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles