Damaged by the Dusy

jeremyk

Adventurer
ya great video Rusty , I remember the aerial shots too ...

a Dusy video I made recently ...

Fun video, I remember all of that stuff! You had me hoping for some Gatekeeper shots...

Wow the shooting! Fun to do, but what is the norm for firearm use out there? We thought that we couldn't discharge firearms on the trail, especially so near wilderness areas, we didn't know

jeremyk

Adventurer
Thanks Ed, I live in Monterey now but grew up in Coarsegold. My folks live up there still, took my dad through swamp and Dusy recently, when we drove through Dusy I was happy to see much of the work we did still intact. The tables at Ershim were a lot of fun, I miss living up there. Thank you for all the work you and the club do, Marlins a good friend of mine I have not seen in 20 years. I hope you guys get some more snow this year! If you get a second check out my video from Ershim.

https://vimeo.com/76492538

Great video. Nice line through the Gatekeeper! They'd be picking up my pieces still if I tried that one - nice job!

Big Ed

Fun video, I remember all of that stuff! You had me hoping for some Gatekeeper shots...

Wow the shooting! Fun to do, but what is the norm for firearm use out there? We thought that we couldn't discharge firearms on the trail, especially so near wilderness areas, we didn't know

As far as I know the rule would be "No shooting within 150 ft of road or structure". There's a trail info type website that says no target shooting anywhere along the route, I don't think there is any truth to it. I asked the rangers we work with on projects about it once, they made a weird face and said shooting is allowed. You would want to be doing it responsibly of course.

Edit: Found the website that says no target shooting, it also calls Kaiser Pass road (Highway 80). This isn't the only misinformation I've found on websites that are supposed to be helping inform us.
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/dusy-ershim-4x4-trail/map

Last edited:

Big Ed

Okay, I do a lot of wilderness backpacking trips too. Just found one of my wilderness permits from the Sierrra National Forest, it says,

Discharging firearms is permitted only for emergencies and taking of wildlife as permitted by state game laws.

So I searched and found info on National Forests in general, this would apply to the 600 foot wide corridor between the two wilderness areas.
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml

Taken from the above link.
The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting.

Rusty762

Adventurer
Thanks guys, cool video Jeremy! I have a much nicer copter with a 4K camera and gimbal, hoping to get up there and get some better shots. The only input I would have on discharging of firearms on the trail is to do it responsibly and shoot in a safe direction and pick up whatever you are shooting, cans, plastic containers, etc.. I would not shoot trees, signs, structures or anything else the Sierra club and other groups can use against us, pick up your brass and ideally leave no trace you were there other than foot prints and tire tracks.

wgyouree

KK6LZW
I was on this trip in v_man's video. All rules were followed in regards to discharging of firearms. Everyone on this trip was very respectful of the trail and of our national forest. This whole trip was really a special memory. The beauty of the area is breath taking, and the campgrounds are immaculate. In particular the evening at Ershim Lake sticks out. We spent a rough ten hours on the trail including welding a pitman arm and swapping a CV axle. Arriving at camp there were epic tables, chairs carved from stumps engraved with club insignia, and a cook top over the fire pit on which we cooked a feast. I can't say thank you enough to all the folks that have maintained this trail over the years, it really is a wonderful and special place.

Big Ed

One of the trail builders is still with us, he's 87 and in frail health. His name is one of three names on the sign at the White Bark trailhead, he's credited with blasting. He went through the trail on the opening trip with us five years ago, driving his own rig. He has a whole lot of info and stories about the trail. If it wasn't for him and the others of his time, the trail wouldn't exist. We've been maintaining it, but they built it. :clapsmile

Rusty762

Adventurer
One of the trail builders is still with us, he's 87 and in frail health. His name is one of three names on the sign at the White Bark trailhead, he's credited with blasting. He went through the trail on the opening trip with us five years ago, driving his own rig. He has a whole lot of info and stories about the trail. If it wasn't for him and the others of his time, the trail wouldn't exist. We've been maintaining it, but they built it. :clapsmile

Ed, are you talking about Carl? Drives a teal willys?

Big Ed

Ed, are you talking about Carl? Drives a teal willys?

No, Carl is long gone. Talking about John Skadden, he's the only one left from the early days. John joined the club in 56. We do have one other that joined in 68, ******** Haas. We don't have anyone else that goes back beyond the 80s.

Is this the Willys you're thinking of? Belongs to Carl's nephew Joe now.

Last edited:

v_man

Explorer
GOPR0473_zpsiix0ocyy.jpg

Rusty762

Adventurer
No, Carl is long gone. Talking about John Skadden, he's the only one left from the early days. John joined the club in 56. We do have one other that joined in 68, ******** Haas. We don't have anyone else that goes back beyond the 80s.

Is this the Willys you're thinking of? Belongs to Carl's nephew Joe now.

I figured Carl was no longer with us, he was a great guy I enjoyed talking to him and the stories he had to tell. I knew ******** as well, I am sure I have met John before. Thats the rig I was talking about and I recognize that trailer!

dsm02c

Adventurer
Love this trip report! Made me tired just reading and looking at that trail!!! Would love to do the Dusy one day, but not in the LR4... Thanks for writing!!!

jeremyk

Adventurer
Love this trip report! Made me tired just reading and looking at that trail!!! Would love to do the Dusy one day, but not in the LR4... Thanks for writing!!!

Thanks, I am happy that you enjoyed it! I would only recommend doing that trail with a rig with dents in it already. I got my rig fixed up and it will only be used to tow a beater to the trail the next time we do it. I will probably drive the FJ on the Rubicon again in the next year or two, but never again on the Dusy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier