Daily driver tires, suggestions?

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Hi there-
Looking for opinions and suggestions on all terrain daily driver tires. I drive a 97 4runner 4x4 with a 2" toytec boss lift kit. With a commute on average between 250 and 400 miles per week I'm not looking for something aggressive. I'm looking into getting some all terain tires, and want to bump up the size to about 32". I'm running the stock 5 star 16" wheels right now.
On my other vehicles I have run the Yokohama AT's and enjoyed them.
Wondering what other suggestions the expo community might have.

Thanks,
Jason

MROONFJ

Observer
Overland Journal did a great writeup. The Cooperstown did great. Looking at that for my next set. ATP OR the AT3

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

OverlanderFJ62

These have exceeded my expectations. Just plain amazed what I have thrown at them.
Locations: From Northern and Coastal California, Sierra Nevada Byways, Pacific Northwest
Driving On Road / Off Road: They have handled and maneuvered through extremely wet, sand, typical fire trail(s). (I am not a rock crawler by any means, I do like getting back home/base camp etc... I will use the the Roger Mitchell Scale (example) Class I,II,III & IV (Class IV trails, only if they were either unavoidable and/or that I could not get to do a work-around, these I have a tendency to try and avoid. If I can select another route and get to the same destination its OK with me.

Cooper Discoverer A/T3
Load Range E

High_Country

Adventurer
I too was going to recommend the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 based on the extensive article written in the OJ. I don't own a set, but will own some the next time I need to buy tires. They seem to be very reasonably priced and received rave reviews.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
From Less aggressive to More (my opinion):
Cooper HT
General Grabber HTS on my Jeep GC currently. Does great in snow and rough dirt roads, wash outs and such.
Cooper AT3
General Grabber AT2
BFG All Terrain on my 01 Tacoma presently with 50K on them. Going to replace by this winter, figuring 60-65k.
CooperST Maxx

That's my short list of tires I like right now. I commute in my truck and get 22mpg with 235/85R16's E-Rated on the truck. I drive the thing everywhere, highway, snow, dirt, fields, towing trailers, moving firewood, the tires just work great except in peanut butter mud but come on, no tire works great in that stuff. Will most likely get another set unless I can get a screaming deal on the General AT2's.

-jorge

4runnerteq

Explorer
BFG ATs for me. Havent had anything else, other than a Michelin LTX M/S when the wife was driving the 97 runner before lift and same on the 04 runner she drives now. Maybe its that kool-aid thing but the BFG AT has perormed great for me. I dont knw that I could even try something different.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the input. Ill look up the OJ article.

Jorge-
I was just looking at the 235/85R16's. Seems like a good size.

Thanks again.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I have Cooper Discoverer M+S right now, they were originally only going to be used as a winter tire but they performed on and off-road so well that I have left them on. They dont look aggresive at all but they went through two weeks touring every trail in the rough San Juans and not once gave me traction or puncture issues. Great in winter alone but can be studded. I have 45k on this set and they still will last the summer before needing replacement.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I have the Cooper AT3, load range C on my 2002 4Runner and am very happy with them (although I wish they would wear out so I can get a new set :) ). I have 44K on them and still have 1/4" tread left. I have run them on about 500 miles of forest service roads (and a few abandoned FS roads - though still on the MVUM) and trails with sharp limestone, as well as hundreds more miles of gravel and dirt roads, and have never had a flat (though they do show signs of rough use). They are great in snow, and especially rain. I can run 65 or 70 down the highway in heavy rain (did it a couple of nights ago) and feel no hydroplaning at all. They are also quiet and smooth on the highway. I plan to buy another set when these are done. Definitely read the OJ tire review.

BTW, this is a typical FS road around here.

DSC_0838_zpsf1e1f6bb.jpg

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
I've got a set of Cooper AT3s on my 2007 4Runner. They have performed very well and I would buy another set without question. I use the vehicle as a daily driver and for light off road duty. The tires perform particularly well in the rain and are quiet on the highway.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
At work right now, but I did a quick search on the COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 235/85/16.
I could only find a 10 ply, E rated. Its been a while but are C rated tires not being made anymore.
I imagine the 10 ply is a much heavier tire and stiffer ride right?

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
At work right now, but I did a quick search on the COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 235/85/16.
I could only find a 10 ply, E rated. Its been a while but are C rated tires not being made anymore.
I imagine the 10 ply is a much heavier tire and stiffer ride right?

I would imagine that size is used more in heavier vehicles, so they only make it in E. I'm running 265/75-16s in C rating. A little taller than the stock tires (32").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles