Daily driver tires, suggestions?

MattKoch

Observer
! Vote for the Grabber at2's .......... I've been doing the same homework as you. I couldn't find a bad review. German company but made in the USA.

Arclight

SAR guy
I have the Goodyear Silent Armor's. These are popular with logging companies and fleet operators. They are quiet and get decent mileage, and have been just fine off-road in CA and NV.

A bit more aggressive choice would be the Duratracs.

Arclight

zelatore

Explorer
I'm running Duratracs on my Rover. Based on 7 months/8K-ish miles with them I would not recommend them for a daily driver. I like them for the most part, but they're heavy, expensive, only so-so handling on pavement, and they're getting louder. For my purposes; a truck that can cruise the interstate at 80 but with the primary emphasis on off-road performance I think they're a good trade off. But for a daily driver I'd want something less aggressive. Possibly the Wildpeaks or similar.

rickashay

Explorer
I have 265/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx on my DD. Love them. They have grown a little louder with age/mileage but not a big deal. Super agressive for an AT yet still have manors for a DD. Lots of siping (although not as much as the Duratrac). My Father has them on his built 01' Tacoma too and we just took the truck to Moab and northern california. The ST Maxx had no issues with any of that terrain and made the 5000km journey with ease.

character zero

dangerfoot
FWIW, the Cooper AT3 are ranking higher than the Michelin LTX on ConsumerReports now...that just adds to the Overland Journal review.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...coverer-AT3-Awarded-Overland-Journal-Editor’s
2014-07-28 08_51_04-All terrain truck tire Ratings.jpg

I'll admit to having grabbed some 255/75 BFG KMs on a whim off Craigslist, but with new wheels arriving this week, I think I might end up ponying up for the AT3 or ATP for my Tundra. While they leave something to be desired in the looks department, I know that they'll last longer and perform better 99% of the time (heh, Mud Terrains in TX? We have a massive drought!)

jca91374

I've run 2 sets of Firestone Destination AT's on my Tacoma in the stock size. Tires were great on and offroad. Great in the rain, snow, dirt, gravel etc. Never had a problem on the hwy and could cruise 80 MPH with them without issues. Never had a problem with balance or wear. The first set lasted almost 60K while the second set only had 8K on them when I replaced then with Duratracs. I swapped tires as I did a lift and they stock size looked small.

Speaking of Duratracs. I decided to go this direction as I wanted something a little more aggressive as the truck has been reitred from daily use during the summer. It will still server as my DD in the winter months as my little SE Camry is useless if more than 2 snowflakes land in the same place. So far I have about 3000 miles on them and they have a nice hum. They're not silent but they certainly are not as loud as I expected looking at the thread. You can hear them on concrete but they almost go away on asphalt.

I would run Duratracs daily without any hesitations.

Rdy2offrd88

Observer
Picking up a set of 265/75/16 Load Range C AT3's this week for my 3rd gen with 2.5in lift. Thinking this is the perfect size for a DD that will see quite a few miles but still is a nice bump up from stock size tires.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Picking up a set of 265/75/16 Load Range C AT3's this week for my 3rd gen with 2.5in lift. Thinking this is the perfect size for a DD that will see quite a few miles but still is a nice bump up from stock size tires.

Where are you looking to buy your set? I was pricing out the tires using discount tires' EBay store.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I run the AT3's on my D110 in the 315/75R16 and they are great. Quiet on the road, long lasting, and surprisingly capable on the trail, and in the snow. I've put about 25,000 miles on them so far.

We also ran the AT3 on the 78 series Land Cruiser. Also nicely behaved, and excellent in the sand.

The only downside if such, is that they look very tame.

I used to be a big fan of the BFG AT2 because it looked good, and had predictable performance. But I find them noisy compared to modern options (the BFG AT2 is now a 20-year old design). We recently switched a Grand Cherokee from the BFG AT2 to the General Grabber AT2 (which looks almost the same) and it is a much quieter tire, although the trail performance is comparable.

Arclight

SAR guy
I'm running Goodyear Silent Armor (D Rated I believe/ 305 70 R16) on my moderately built 80 series, and they have almost 70K on them. Driven and wheeled them all over the country and couldn't be happier. They still have over 10K left I'd say on the tread. I'm putting a set on my 4Runner when its time.

I've had time to put some more miles on '97 T100, and I still like the Goodyear Silent Armors. They are very quiet on the road, long wearing and capable enough for everything I've done with it the last 20K miles.

Arclight

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I wish a 2nd set of wheels was an option right now.
And yeah Im going with the 265/75's. Thanks for the feedback P Nut.

Im leaning towards the Cooper AT3's

You know, I lived the "2 sets of wheels and tires" lifestyle for a couple of years and I have to say - it sucks. I thought it would be cool, but it wasn't for me. Now I don't have a floor jack, so that might have made the whole tire-changing process a little easier (although even with the factory bottle jack I got to where I could swap all 5 tires - spare included - in just about 40 minutes in my driveway.)

Still it wasn't the changing that was a PITA, it was all the other stuff that goes along with having 2 sets of wheels/tires: Storing the set you aren't using (store them in the garage and they're taking up space you could use for something else; Store them outside and you have to make sure they're protected against the sun and weather) and of course on modern vehicles with TPMS you either have to get TPMS sensors reprogrammed every time you swap tires, or spend half the year living with a blinking TPMS light. There's also the fact that I had to carry a different lug wrench since the nuts for one of my sets had a different outside diameter from my factory wheels, etc.

I finally realized I didn't want to hassle with that anymore so I sold my BFG MT's on Craigslist and kept the wheels (the wheels were all I really wanted anyway.) When my road tires (Cooper M+S on the factory 16" alloys) finally wear out, probably this Winter, I'll put the other wheels on (17" FJC Steelies which I'm going to paint gray.)

Glad to see the Cooper AT-3 and AT-P are getting good reviews. That one's on my short list.

Does anyone know the difference between the AT-P and the AT-3? They look very similar.

2scars

Adventurer
The only different I can find, really, is that the AT3 is available in a Load C for the LT265/75-16, but that is really the only size I am looking at. Price is close enough.

Brandon

ebg18t

Adventurer
Glad to see the Cooper AT-3 and AT-P are getting good reviews. That one's on my short list.

Does anyone know the difference between the AT-P and the AT-3? They look very similar.

ATP = Discount a Tire exclusive version of the AT3.

They did the same think with the a Falken WildPeak AT Tire; the Falken Rocky Mtn = Discount Tire a Exclusive version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier