DAF T244

Tronix

Been a while since logging in and it's great to see another DAF build in Canada! For the longest time I thought I was the only one, but slowly over the years others have started to build.

I'm interested to know how your VE pump swap went. Was there a noticable difference when you drive it? This is a mod I want to do as I've already tuned the CAV to the max and still deathly slow on some uphills.

jwiereng

Good information. If you don't mind me asking, what are the prices like where you're at? I'm looking at $100 ($74USD) per 4x8' sheet of 3mm Dibond. I haven't shopped around much yet because I figured that was a reasonable price, but if it's out of line I'll shop around a bit.

Price seems in line. A local signmaker is willing to sell them to me at $92 fpr 4 by 8 sheet, one side matte white, on side mill finish. I believe it is aluco bond

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada
Sorry everyone, I kinda abandoned the thread for a while. I'm in my mid 20's and I made a decision to return to college in another province, so the truck's on the back burner until the summer. I'm hoping to have it livable by the end of summer 2020 because I'm planning on moving into it full time.

Are the windows completely custom or simply a stock design made to your dimensions?

Post a few pictures of them if it's not too much trouble.

You have probably done your research by now, but a 6BT is a powerhouse and power is only limited by your checkbook. They are great motors; simple, reliable and robust.

The windows were made to my dimensions, but they're a stock design. Sorry, I don't have any pictures because the trucks half way across the country, but they're pretty typical North American style RV windows. If you go on Youtube and lookup how to install RV windows, they're more or less exactly the same.

Beautiful work. I never considered Dibond before, but it looks like a great option. How did you deal with seams between panels that don't happen to fall on corners? Looks like one long sheet from here, but I'm guessing it's not?

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the decision so far. It's an easy material to work with and it's a good surface for a future vinyl wrap if I decide to go that route. You're right, it isn't one long sheet. The common side for Dibond panels is 4'x8'. Right now I just have the panels butted up end to end with some RV sealant over the seams. In the long term I'm not certain this is going to be a good solution. The panels do expand and contract a very small amount which has already lead to some sealant failure. I might explore the option of some type of molding or most likely just being more liberal with the sealant. The sealant was such a good match to the panels you can't really tell there's seams unless you're 10' from the truck.

Been a while since logging in and it's great to see another DAF build in Canada! For the longest time I thought I was the only one, but slowly over the years others have started to build.

I'm interested to know how your VE pump swap went. Was there a noticable difference when you drive it? This is a mod I want to do as I've already tuned the CAV to the max and still deathly slow on some uphills.

I'm familiar with your truck. I'm on the DAF T244 Facebook group. I haven't done the VE pump swap, but I'm friends with Alex who posted about his VE pump swap on the Facebook page. He's probably a better person to ask. I know he's gotten his truck running, but he hasn't driven it yet. He bought an entire VE pumped 12 valve and swapped the parts that he needed over. After looking at the price of an injection pump on it's own that doesn't seem like a bad option.

How did you make the seams between the panels?

Butted up flush and hit the seams with some RV sealant. Seems to work for now, but if that fails I'll look into a seam cover of some sort.

jwiereng

Would a butt joint with DiBond be sealed if VHB tape was used under? Blue is Dibond, Red is tape and grey is the a framing member

Untitled.png

Another question, how did you hold the panels in place while bonding them with VHB? Did you use rivets or just the tape?

Also how much does the shell weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada
Would a butt joint with DiBond be sealed if VHB tape was used under? Blue is Dibond, Red is tape and grey is the a framing member

This is exactly what I did, then I skimmed the seam with some sealant. So far it's been waterproof.

Another question, how did you hold the panels in place while bonding them with VHB? Did you use rivets or just the tape?

Also how much does the shell weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now it's just the tape. I used some 2x4s and clamps to keep things lined up, then peeled the layer off the tape and set the panels. So far they seem to be holding up well. I think you'd be hard pressed to remove them.

I'm not sure on the exact weight, but if I had to guess it'd be north of 1500lbs. It's fairly stout with a 5/8" subfloor and joists on 16" centres. I'm not overly concerned about weight because I have 11,000lbs to work with

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz