DAF T244

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada

Picked up this truck a few months back and I've been meaning to make a build thread to track my progress and get suggestions. It's a 1990 Leyland DAF T244 military truck. It was originally used as a training vehicle at CFB Suffield outside Medicine Hat Alberta by the British military. It spent a few years on the Lower Mainland where it was painted, registered and insured by the previous owner.

Truck: 1990 Leyland DAF T244
Engine: Cummins 12 Valve Turbo Diesel
Transmission: Spicer 5 speed manual
Drive train: Full time 4wd will center locking diff and hi/low range.
Brakes: Wedge style air brakes
Curb (tare) weight: ~13,600lbs (I believe the truck is now closer to 12,000lbs with the bedsides remove and the load deck stripped down)
Max gross weight: 23,800lbs
Deck size: 14x8'
Fuel consumption: 16.8mpg @ 30mph, 11mpg @ 50mph
Max speed: 55mph

I chose this particular truck for a couple reason. First, the Cummins engine is entirely mechanical, reliable, easy to service and ubiquitous globally. The cab tilts forward to allow complete access to the engine for service. Second, the general size of the truck and load deck met the requirements for my project and lastly these trucks are affordable at roughly half the cost of a comparable Unimog or Fuso.
The plan is to build a ~110' living space on the back of the truck. The planned modifications will be as follows.

Truck Interior:
Cab interior full stripped back, sounded insulated with custom headliner, walls & door cards, custom overhead console with radio, auxiliary switches, CB & VHF/UHF radio, heated suspension seats.

Engine & Drivetrain:
CAV to VE injection pump swap, larger injectors, stiffer valve springs, exhaust brake, KDP fix, ARP head studs, diesel engine pre-heater and a larger fuel tank. Current power output is 145hp and I'm aiming for 225-250hp just to maintain speed on hills. Potentially investigating install an Eaton 6 speed gearbox to give the truck a sixth gear overdrive which will improve fuel consumption and increase cruising speed. Modifications and upgrades to the engine will follow the construction and completion of the living quarters.

Living Space:
17x8' steel framed box constructed with 2x2x0.100" square tube clad with Dibond aluminum composite panels adhered with VHB tape. The completed structure will sit atop a stripped back version of the existing load deck. The current rigid deck mounts will be modified to accommodate springs allowing for increased articulation without deck deflection. Interior walls will be furred out a further 1" with timber to reduce thermal bridging and allow the use of 3" IKO Enerfoil insulation which will give an anticipated R valve of nearly 20. Windows and door will be scratch and dent take-offs from a local RV dealer. Heating will be provided by a diesel heater and Cubic Mini wood stove. I have chosen to go with a steel framed construction method as I anticipate installing a rear motorcycle carrier capable of holding a 600lb motorcycle.

At this point I'm still in the early stages. I've stripped back the load deck and interior of the truck and am performing some routine service to the engine. The next step will be construction of the steel frame for the living quarters. I'll try and post somewhat regular updates as the project moves along.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions, let me know.

Last edited:

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada
Watch Just-Escape.com on YouTube. Looking forward to your build.

I'm familiar with Matt and Gary. They're both fairly active on the DAF T244 Facebook group. I think their YouTube videos deserve more attention then they've been getting.

Did someone replace the original motor with a 12 valve cummins? I didn't think they came with those.

Nope, the 6BT Cummins is standard issue in these trucks. They don't call it a 12 Valve, they call it a Leyland 310, but it's more or less the same thing. They made them from 1990 to 1994 and sometime in 1993 they switched over from the less common CAV injection pump to a VE injection pump. I believe the later 1994 models came with a P7100 injection pump.

The trucks 24 volt, so I can't use Dodge starter motors or alternators, but all the gaskets, seals and filters off an early first gen Ram are identical.

ScottReb

Adventurer
It's a very overlooked option here in North America. There is a pretty robust forum in the UK for Leylands. Can't remember the name...

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada
It's a very overlooked option here in North America. There is a pretty robust forum in the UK for Leylands. Can't remember the name...

You're probably thinking of Overlander. It seems most of the community for these trucks has moved onto Facebook though. I'm not sure exactly how many of them are in Canada. Unfortunately the ones I've seen are in very rough condition. I heard that the British Military wanted the trucks destroyed and only a few made it onto the road before that decision. Mine is in physically decent shape, but I've got some electrical gremlins to work out and I'm unsure about the health of the engine. It may need some minor adjustments and some new parts, or it might be due for a tear down. I haven't had a chance to get a good look at it.

Right now I'm working on the interior of the cab. I'll be ordering some Kilmat to line the floor and walls. The ceiling will get 30mm foam. The walls and ceiling will be finished off with 1/8" hardboard covered with grey felt.

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada
I've been spending most of my time on the truck cleaning the cab in preparation of sound deadening. The seats, rubber floor mats and dash have been removed. The floor is in acceptable condition, a little rougher on the drivers side. I'll remove any loose rust on the floor before treating it and finishing it off with some bed liner. After that's done I'm lining basically the entire cab in Kilmat. At this point I haven't decided if I'm going to reinstall the old floor mats or carpet the footwells too.

507871 507872 507873

Unfortunately my dash isn't in the greatest condition. Lots of cracks and scratches. I'm going to try and get my hands on a cleaner one. I'd also like to pick up a spare gauge cluster to experiment with installing LED back lights. The plan for the dash is to repaint from the original green to black or grey to give the truck less of a military feel.

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada
What... more HP out of an overland vehicle.... I love it!!!

I know, I'm committing the cardinal sin of overland vehicle modification. I could live with the power the truck makes now, but I'd like to swap the injection pump for something that's a little easier to service and if I'm doing that I might as well bump the fuel up a bit. The truck could also use a new set of injectors, so I might as well throw in some 50hp ones.

D

Deleted member 9101

I know, I'm committing the cardinal sin of overland vehicle modification. I could live with the power the truck makes now, but I'd like to swap the injection pump for something that's a little easier to service and if I'm doing that I might as well bump the fuel up a bit. The truck could also use a new set of injectors, so I might as well throw in some 50hp ones.

I agree 100%. It never ceases to amaze me how people on this site frown upon performance mods.... yet they'll cut a truck in half or build a custom suspension.

We have a mobile lab at work that has a DT 466 and we just turned it up a bit, its actually safer since it can maintain speed up a hill and keep up with traffic.

6Speeder

British Columbia, Canada
I agree 100%. It never ceases to amaze me how people on this site frown upon performance mods.... yet they'll cut a truck in half or build a custom suspension.

We have a mobile lab at work that has a DT 466 and we just turned it up a bit, its actually safer since it can maintain speed up a hill and keep up with traffic.

Being able to pull out into traffic is definitely a big motivator for a power increase. The engine in the truck is currently setup quiet conservatively and the 6BT has been proven to make good power and remain reliable. I do have some concerns about the strength of the drive line components, but I think good judgment on the use of the skinny pedal will avoid any issues.

No real exciting updates to report. I picked up 120' of steel and cut some of the pieces that will make up the lower part of the frame. I also picked up 4 sheets of 1/4" PVC puckboard. It's the stuff that's used on the sideboards of a hockey rink. The puckboard will sit between the bed of the truck and the camper frame. I know many people commonly use marine grade plywood, but I feel the puckboard will provide a good vibration isolation and a thermal barrier and I won't have to worry about rot or water ingress. The supplier was also able to provide me with a sample of Dibond aluminum composite. My initial impressions are great and I think it will work perfectly for my application.

I've spent the last few days practicing my welding on some scrap pieces of material. I definitely need to stress that this is a home build in a gravel driveway with no fancy shop or heavy equipment. I'm working mostly with hand tools and whatever I have available.

Next update will probably be this weekend and I'll include some pictures. I work on the truck solo during the week and I have some extra hands avalible on the weekend to help me square up and tack the 14' steel tubes in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz