D2 traction control VS CDL being locked

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
This is one of the better videos I have found of TC ONLY performance. Its in french but, it translates to without CDL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc1kzHhtvmM

That is a great video! Look just after the 2 min mark. You will notice the truck gets stuck on a rock going up hill (similar to Justin video). Even though his traction control seems to work very well he can't get over the rock. He has to back up and use some momentum to get over the rock. I would bet that if he could lock his transfer case he wouldn't have had to back up and would have been able to get over the obstacle with lower speed and less wheel spin, which i believe is the point of Justin's video.

BirchHill

goat farmer
Even if he has to back up in that one spot it's still impressive for an open center diff. Every system and set up has limitations and your probably right, if he had a cdl he probably would have crawled on up. I felt this video gave a better view of the effectiveness of Tc and its limitations. You have to admit that's not a Camry trail.

This is a funny thread. You guys are basically arguing over whether or not 4x4 is better than all wheel drive, because thats all a center diff lock does is turn a truck from awd to true 4x4. And of course 4x4 is better than awd, traction control or not.

BirchHill

goat farmer
Now that is a completely different argument by itself. AWD vehicles do not have a low range besides true 4WD would have 3 locked differentials. Also, the TC system is a form of diff lock, explained here: http://www.awdwiki.com/en/edl/

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
True 4WD only means 4 wheels have power, not that they're locked all the time. And no, TC is not a diff lock, a diff lock is a diff lock. Lock is lock, not "oh mayyyybe I'll throw about 50%"

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Also, that description doesn't make sense that they gave. They described TC, not an EDL.

Just because it has low range dont make it 4x4 unless 50/50 power is going to front and back. With the center diff lock off it is awd if cdl is on it is 4x4 whether or not there are lockers front and rear.
Now that is a completely different argument by itself. AWD vehicles do not have a low range besides true 4WD would have 3 locked differentials. Also, the TC system is a form of diff lock, explained here: http://www.awdwiki.com/en/edl/

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
That is a great video! Look just after the 2 min mark. You will notice the truck gets stuck on a rock going up hill (similar to Justin video). Even though his traction control seems to work very well he can't get over the rock. He has to back up and use some momentum to get over the rock. I would bet that if he could lock his transfer case he wouldn't have had to back up and would have been able to get over the obstacle with lower speed and less wheel spin, which i believe is the point of Justin's video.

Saw the same thing.
This was a traction control highlight video and they still had a fail.

I don't know what it is about the video we made that has some people up in arms.

BirchHill

goat farmer
Saw the same thing.
This was a traction control highlight video and they still had a fail.

I don't know what it is about the video we made that has some people up in arms.

It was your video only highlighted the fail while this last video presented the effectiveness of traction control along with its shortcomings. Sure, it failed under a specific set of circumstances but overall what it made it through was tougher then most camry rated trails. To sum it up again, a cdl with TC is very good while with out it, its just plain good.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
So you think Justin should make a video showing how good TC is when he's explaining the benefits of locking the center diff?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I honestly can't see why there is an argument on this. Justin's video clearly shows the truck unable to proceed with TC alone. Then the driver locks the CDL and it drives right through. What else is there to say? The trail isn't even that difficult. A vehicle is not truly in 4WD until the CDL is locked, and it will always be superior to TC alone, it's that simple. A better argument would be TC versus cross-axle lockers, but even in that case, the lockers still win.

David

BirchHill

goat farmer
We can debate the particulars and wording variations forever. Bottom line is the Tc is an effective system, not as good as with a cdl but, pretty darn good for most uses. If people take their discovery out and they get stuck on a regular basis then they should seriously consider adding a cdl and I'm certain Justin would be excellent source for some of the items needed. I have been happy with my experience when buying parts from him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz