D2 traction control VS CDL being locked

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
In a LR3 or RRS? That would be clutch. I like traction control and computer aided whatever ya call it, but sometimes I just want to drive the truck. Lock the center diff, lock the rear diff, and I'll drive the truck. Not the computer. Would be nice on hill climbs and going over muddy rocks.

I spoke with Steve at GAP about this last week and suggested a few upgrades to the off-road IID computer. Here's a quick list of things I wanted.
#1 turn off the Computer override that controls engine speed/throttle input. When I step on the gas I want the motor to work and the tires to spin.
#2 manual control of any lockers in the truck.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I spoke with Steve at GAP about this last week and suggested a few upgrades to the off-road IID computer. Here's a quick list of things I wanted.
#1 turn off the Computer override that controls engine speed/throttle input. When I step on the gas I want the motor to work and the tires to spin.
#2 manual control of any lockers in the truck.

^This.

I don't like the "Engine speed control" thing. As you said, when I punch it, I better hear some roaring from under the hood. If I need wheelspin, I don't want a computer saying "oh no, this isn't right, I should do the complete opposite" or some crap.

dcarr1971

Adventurer
The only thing bizarre is this comment.

Wow. Just wow. What are you doing to your D2 that your TC out performs mine with both TC and a locker? I have to know the secret! :Wow1:

I've wheeled lots of places where TC wasn't enough, but once the D2 CDL was locked I was able to walk right up over the obstacles. I can't even believe that this is really being debated if you claim to have any real experience off road beyond mild fire roads.

BirchHill

goat farmer
Wow. Just wow. What are you doing to your D2 that your TC out performs mine with both TC and a locker? I have to know the secret! :Wow1:

I've wheeled lots of places where TC wasn't enough, but once the D2 CDL was locked I was able to walk right up over the obstacles. I can't even believe that this is really being debated if you claim to have any real experience off road beyond mild fire roads.

You should really slow down and actually read whats been posted. I have never said Traction control by itself is better then a CDL. Sure there are situations where TC will out do a cdl equipped vehicle with out TC, like cross axle situation. There is no doubt that a cdl equipped discovery with a functioning TC system would be far superior. The only claim I have made is that the TC will suffice in a large % of situations and that the video posted by lucky8 did not portray this.

Howski

I think you're just trying to justify not having a CDL. They work great and improve to the capabilities of a Disco quite a bit if you're planning on tackling any somewhat technical terrain. Get over the traction control issue. It's not that great on these trucks and will crap out whenever you get the 3 amigos

BirchHill

goat farmer
I really dont think the video is staged and this post is not suppose to be personal in any way, Your a nice guy and I have bought parts from you before and was happy with the experience. but, Im sticking to my original statement that the video does not accurately portray traction control. I still think this is a product of the brakes needing some attention, either cheap pads, gritted up slides from the previous 3 days of off roading or improper technique, ie a little extra speed would go along way. Part of the reason discovery traction control has a bad rap is so often the system is not maintained. A lot of folks dont realize if any of their ABS related dash lights are on then the TC will not function. Or they throw on the cheapest pads they can find and dont take the time to clean and re grease the caliper slide pins. It doesnt take much to diminish the ability of that brake to clamp the wheel enough to re distribute torque.

BirchHill

goat farmer
@ fsu disco Im not trying to justify anything. I have vehicles with a cdl I can add a cdl anytime I want. Its more the folks who have already payed the dough for a cdl that are trying to diminish the ability of TC. I guess to feel better about their investment.

traveltoad

Aaron S
What I don't like about TC is that you have to spin wheels for it to kick in and "create" traction. I prefer to not spin wheels if I can help it. CDL and frt/rr axle lockers make it easier to not spin wheels.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Very true, a lot of times as soon as your wheels start to spin you're too late, go back down the hill and try again.

tacr2man

Adventurer
my 2/100c what is being missed here is the reason for TC on discovery and the deletion of the cdl . It started with rangerover where the CDl was replaced with a viscous centre diff which "automated" the engagement of CDL . The majority of LR buyers are not technical , they just spend to buy what the advertised capabilities are , and LR soon found out that these needed to be " idiot proofed" It has now reached the point where you just use pictograms to "dial up" what you need your vehicle to cope with . My 110 has maxi drive lockable diffs front and rear plus of course the stabdard centre lockable diff but it relies on me to select what I need . TC as mentioned in a previous post will deal with 99% of what the buyers need it do do , without the complication of needing to think . The little exercise in the video only shows a comparison between a manual lock centre diff being used in a situation that is totally what it will not deal with "cross axle ing " on a vegicle with limited suspension travel , against another that has better suspension travel and in which if that vehicle had cdl it would not help it anyway . The way for the jeep to tackle that obstacle was to approch it at 90' so that the short breakover angle worked for it using the cdl to give it enough momentum to get it over not the totally worst way to go about it . TC has improved greatly due to more sophisticated programs and braking performance . The best is CDL and TC almost as good as triple diff locks JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94