D1 Underhood Fusebox in Range Rover Classic

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I have an underhood fusebox from a D1 that I am installing in place of the fusible links in my 92 Rangie. When I got the box, the battery cables were already disconnected and I no longer have a D1 on hand to look at. Does anyone know which battery/ground cables connect to each of the three inputs on the top in the photo? I assume one goes directly to the battery, one to the alternator and not sure on the other, ground maybe?

Also, since the Rangie didn't have a fusebox, how would I go about routing the alternator to the 100 amp fuse in this box, or is it even necessary?

Thanks,

David

D1fusebox_zps3d516e5f.jpg

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Great. Thanks for looking. Just wondering now if/how I should wire the alternator through this fusebox. The Range Rover alternator doesn't have a fuse box to route it to. I haven't located a fuse for it anywhere on the vehicle. I assume the Disco is set up so the fuse box will be powered by the alternator if the battery fails or is discharged.

psykokid

Explorer
does the classic have a fusible link in the lead from the alt or does it go straight to the battery via just regular old cable?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
does the classic have a fusible link in the lead from the alt or does it go straight to the battery via just regular old cable?

That's a good question. There is one big fusible link for the ignition circuits. It may be on that one. Each fusible link runs multiple systems. However, I notice that the Disco fuse box has separate fuses for the ignition circuits and alternator. I don't see a cable running directly from the alternator to the battery. I'll look into it more closely to see how it's actually wired.

psykokid

Explorer
I think the 100amp fuse on the disco fuse box is to protect the rest of the electrical system in the event the alt goes bad and shorts out internally and back feeds more than its rated amperage into the electrical system. I know on all of the VW's that i've owned in the past there has just been a direct line from the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Ok. Looked some more and the alternator cable runs to the same lug on the starter that the positive battery cable runs to . So it's not fused on a pre-95 Range Rover Classic. I guess I could ditch the wire from the alternator to the starter and just run the alternator directly to the 100 amp fuse in the fuse box. That way it will be isolated from the battery as you say. I take it the alternator does not run directly to the starter on a Discovery?

BTW: Here is why I am installing the fuse box:

IMG_0022.jpg

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer
Nope, the wire in the fuse box goes directly to the alternator, do not pass go do not collect 200 bucks.. Not sure where 12v for the starter comes from. I guess i'll have to look at that. Look at the ETM for the Discovery in the RAVE, it will show the wiring routing in the diagrams.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I think the alternator charges the battery back through the fuse in the box and the cable from the box to the positive battery post. The starter has a separate cable to the positive on the battery. So, this system has exactly the same net effect as running the cable from the alternator to the starter, except that there is now a fuse between the alternator and the electrics for protection.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Fuse box all installed! All my electrics work now. Pretty much everything was out due to the failed fusible links. I also have six empty fuses for whatever I want to add later. Wired the alternator through the fuse box instead of directly to the starter as stock.

I just used the coolant tank/fuse box and fender bracket out of a D1. To fit it I had to move the vacuum canister back a bit and redrill the holes for it. I also replaced the washer bottle with the D1 for extra capacity and better pumps.

Fusebox 1.jpgFusebox 2.jpgWasher.jpg

rover4x4

Adventurer
very nice, will you post more details on wiring etc? which wires did you have to replace? how much of the existing harness did you have to cut out?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
very nice, will you post more details on wiring etc? which wires did you have to replace? how much of the existing harness did you have to cut out?

Yes. I recorded all the details. I'll post up the color codes of all the wires and what I replaced. I only had to cut about six inches out of the existing harness plus the fusible links themselves, because they ran all the way to the battery and the fuse box sits back further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94