D-Rings on factory recovery points Gen 3 Montero

earljuic3

Adventurer
Does anyone know the best way to go about putting d-rings on the factory mounting points on the front end of a gen 3 montero? Would isolator washers like they use on Jeeps to reduce rattling stop the d-rings from rolling over in the loop?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Does anyone know the best way to go about putting d-rings on the factory mounting points on the front end of a gen 3 montero? Would isolator washers like they use on Jeeps to reduce rattling stop the d-rings from rolling over in the loop?

I've seen a few folks that have packed the pin out to keep the shackle from moving too much and rattling. It seems to work well to reduce the rattling.

Personally, I don't drive around with shackles in place. I've never had an issue with shackles "rolling over in the loop" due to the fact that 3/4" shackles will only allow the pin to pass through the factory loop. I suppose if you're using 5/8" shackles, then side loading the hardware during a recovery would be a serious concern.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Bungee cords are your best friend when reducing noise/movement of clevis shackles or anything else you wish to use on the front bumper, I did this for years but now I usually remove them when not needed.

earljuic3

Adventurer
thanks for the input guys...as much as I want to be the cool kid and have them hanging off the front all the time I think I am best served just putting them in the truck lol.

jhill15

Explorer
Here ya go man,
9fc9a27ef6baf611140c385dbbd89968.jpg
adcdc0212fa1b4c1f22d191ad2ed417d.jpg
I used 1/2 inch washers from lowes so they would hang straight. Mine do not swing and hit the front plate with the washers

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another reason to remove them when not needed is mud and rust can do a number on them, not to mention theft happens.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If you do like your shackles on all the time, I've seen folks who use a hitch pin or zip-tie to keep the pin from vibrating out.
Over tightening the pin to keep it in can cause the pin to get rusted/crusted in place, which makes it difficult to remove.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
thanks for the input guys...as much as I want to be the cool kid and have them hanging off the front all the time I think I am best served just putting them in the truck lol.
Yeah, I'm not so sure that hanging a couple of shackles on there full-time would make anyone look cool. It's like leaving a high lift jack on the truck when you're just commuting or going to the mall.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Yeah, I'm not so sure that hanging a couple of shackles on there full-time would make anyone look cool. It's like leaving a high lift jack on the truck when you're just commuting or going to the mall.

Agreed. Bad idea to leave on all the time. Noise, Wear and you have to remove them to use anyway. Maybe for looks. But who owns a Montero for looks?? Just sayin'

granitex1

Adventurer
The biggest problem is that those are not recovery points, all that they are is shipping points. They were never designed for the forces involved in a proper recovery.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You would be incorrect.

I'm going to have to agree with granitex1, all the factory tow points are really weak. I've seen them bend, break and straighten out from being pulled hard. I kind of recall someone going to the dealer with their truck and failed "recovery" point and told it wasn't meant for that. Probably a write up on the 4x4wire about it.

On the Gen 3 it may be different because they're unibody but I wouldn't chance it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles