D-Rings on factory recovery points Gen 3 Montero

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Other than a hitch, what would be a good place to use as a recovery point?

I would make a plate that bolts onto 3-4 points per side in the area of the unibody subframe, or better yet install a universal winch plate between the unibody rails and put your tow points on it in front of the unibody "rails".

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'm going to have to agree with granitex1, all the factory tow points are really weak. I've seen them bend, break and straighten out from being pulled hard. I kind of recall someone going to the dealer with their truck and failed "recovery" point and told it wasn't meant for that. Probably a write up on the 4x4wire about it.

On the Gen 3 it may be different because they're unibody but I wouldn't chance it.

I have pulled up tree stumps by the roots and our entire fence with 7 posts still attached and solidly cemented in place without issue using the factory tow hooks on our 98, maybe I was lucky or something.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
I pulled a 4-5000lb concrete block a few hundred feet over a dirt road with the factory tow points. Could do it all day long.

Toasty

I have pulled up tree stumps by the roots and our entire fence with 7 posts still attached and solidly cemented in place without issue using the factory tow hooks on our 98, maybe I was lucky or something.

I've knocked one of with a hammer before :)

One of our guys here in Az swears by them and has never had an issue, I also cut his off and welded it on better. Sometimes they don't come off but they all bend, i'll try to find a pic of the one that got pulled straight on PA_JERO's old Montero Sport.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've knocked one of with a hammer before :)

One of our guys here in Az swears by them and has never had an issue, I also cut his off and welded it on better. Sometimes they don't come off but they all bend, i'll try to find a pic of the one that got pulled straight on PA_JERO's old Montero Sport.

Well, a Sport isn't really a Montero is it? ha ha

Toasty

Well, a Sport isn't really a Montero is it? ha ha

True, but the one i knocked off with a hammer was on a Gen 1.

Here's what i did on mine, i capped off the frame rails with an integrated winch plate and welded my D-rings directly in front of the frame rails. I keep my pin shackles in the cab so they don't get stolen or used to vandalize my truck (like if some kids decided to take them off and put them through my windshield or something). To keep them from making noise you can buy isolators that soften the clanging but you'll still hear them rocking at a stop. I used 1/4" vacuum line and worked it in behind the D-ring and it's weldment and they don't rock or move until you need them.

DSC_0654.jpg

Toasty

16098474916_a43cef1fdb_h.jpg

15936972100_e2da5d8dc2_h.jpg

You can see on my old '94 SR (teal one 3rd from the left 1st pic) the D-rings are welded to the bumper. The frame has the integrated winchplate and the frame horns are beefed up as well. On my pickup (second from the right 1st pic and 3rd from the right 2nd pic) i have pin shackles that have weldments on the bumper which is bolted to the frame and tied into the cage. I leave the pin shackles in all the time because the truck is noisy and i'm not worried about vandalism on it, that'll all change when i install the new body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94