D.I.Y Rear tire career using stock bumper on 2012 Xterra

Hello all.
I have been working on this project for some time and I thought I would share.
D.I.Y Rear tire career using a stock bumper on 2012 Xterra
IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1698.JPG IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1963.JPG IMG_1964.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1963.JPG IMG_1964.JPG IMG_1970.JPG IMG_1969.JPG IMG_1969.JPG IMG_1970.JPG

Last edited:
if you think welding with shorts on is fun, you should try sandblasting. :)

btw very nice and simple. and way lighter than most other ones.

Never got a hot foot, but did catch my shirt on fire ha!
Still playing with it. If anyone would like a parts list and spelled out instructions to do this for themselves. I would be happy to put something together.
also, the total cost of materials was under $400.
Thanks all.

Never got a hot foot, but did catch my shirt on fire ha!
Still playing with it. If anyone would like a parts list and spelled out instructions to do this for themselves. I would be happy to put something together.
also, the total cost of materials was under $400.
Thanks all.
YES!!! this would be great!!

Definitely want to follow this build! i have had the idea in my head of how to adapt the existing bumpers since the aftermarket bumpers don't change the dimensions, shape, or clearance at all. Love this project!

So you going to re-locate the license plate or no?

Nice work, I like it. Gives me some ideas. But I'd need to retain a trailer hitch and add some recovery brackets, but I had not really entertained the idea of simply using the stock bumper as a base.

Oh yeah and I've done the welding in shorts bit, got nice tan knees out of it.

So you going to re-locate the license plate or no?

Nice work, I like it. Gives me some ideas. But I'd need to retain a trailer hitch and add some recovery brackets, but I had not really entertained the idea of simply using the stock bumper as a base.

Oh yeah, and I've done the welding in shorts bit, got nice tan knees out of it.

Yep, I'm currently working on the trailer hitch. I have relocated the license plate and ran electrical to make it legal. I'll post updated photos soon.