CVT Summit Series discussion

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
A few items I learned while talking to the CVT folks at the NW Overland Rally this weekend:

- There is a new summit series color coming: charcoal gray (don't know about fly but would presume black)
- They are now offering summit series awnings. The only difference appears to be the heavier weight fabric.
- CVT was showing a prototype trailer that will be available in the future. Trailer is made in Oregon.

Scoutman

Explorer
A few items I learned while talking to the CVT folks at the NW Overland Rally this weekend:

- There is a new summit series color coming: charcoal gray (don't know about fly but would presume black)
- They are now offering summit series awnings. The only difference appears to be the heavier weight fabric.
- CVT was showing a prototype trailer that will be available in the future. Trailer is made in Oregon.

Yes, the gray is the color I'm waiting for. I've been in contact with CVT every few weeks to keep up with when to expect these. I think last I spoke with them it was going to be August but exact date is unknown and seems to be in limbo. The rain fly is black on all Summit Series tents to my knowledge.

Stu2029

Matt Nooblander

Didn't know about the Summit Series awnings. Will definitely be taking a look at those. We have a standard Batwing from them that we'll be installing shortly. Would be interesting to see how they compare. The difference in ripstop on the tents is VERY noticeable, so the awnings will likely have a lot more heft to them as well.

GANGGREEN

I like the idea of the summit series, but I have to be honest, this is starting to push the limit from a financial standpoint. I purchased my Mt. Shasta extended on a group buy and was OK with the money that I spent, but I'd have to really consider whether this is worthwhile if I were purchasing one today and looking at the price of the summit. I guess if the rooftop tent was 100% perfect for my needs it might be different, but I admit that there are some obvious benefits and drawbacks with an RTT. I do like mine however and would give it two thumbs up for anyone looking for a review on the Mt. Shasta standard series.

jpachard

Adventurer
I've got 25+ nights in out Mt. Bachelor I purchased on a group buy a couple years back and have been really impressed. 20 of those nights it has poured and so far zero leaks and the tent has held up well in the wind.

It looks like CVT has done a nice job with this updated series but for my use I can't justify the extra weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoutman

Explorer
Deposit has been made. The wait continues. Latest eta for the Grey Summit Series is late August. Just hope I have enough time to fabricate the bed rack and get it mounted before cooler weather, fall break, and OXE-16.

CrazyMike

We received our Mt. Shasta Summit Series a couple of weeks ago. Jut got the 4Runner this Tuesday. Now we're just waiting for the rack to arrive.

We're very excited to get out and try this thing out!

ColoDisco

Explorer
I have had my Shasta for 4 years and agree with all the assessments. Base dents too easily, working on a solution for mine. Long term wear? I am guessing in the 10 year range I will be looking to replace it. I like the new summit series but want less not more weight on my roof. I added led lights to the same bar on my Shasta with a switch and they are priceless. Same with my awning.

Cult Hero

Observer
I picked up the Summit Series Denali and have used it a couple times now. This past weekend we spent 4 days at the beach camping and my family of five slept up top and my brother and his wife and two small children slept down in the annex. 9 people in a tent is pretty amazing.

I also put together a video of the first time I took it out. Love this thing, people still have not really seen them that much which is pretty surprising to me. When I was setting it up this weekend there was a steady stream of campers standing around watching me and asking questions. lol

Scoutman

Explorer
New updates

I've been keeping in touch with CVT and had a few updates to post. This should be the first picture of a grey summit series posted online. Directly from the source and it looks awesome! :ylsmoke:

Looks like the new ETA is mid September. The container is loaded up and on it's way stateside which means I'm kicking my bed rack fabrication into high gear. :smiley_drive: I'll start a thread on that build shortly.

IMG_6296.jpg

I had also called to clarify where the electrical ran out of the tent and received this picture. So it's not hard wired in it just has an extension cord on it with a 12v power plug on it. Easy enough I guess.

IMG_1680.jpg

Stu2029

Matt Nooblander
The electrical is really simple. It's just a standard DC plug that goes into the input on the tent pole where the USB ports and light switch are.
https://thenooblanders.com/2016/06/27/standard-vs-summit-series-cvt-tents/#jp-carousel-493

you pass the aux plug through the opening below and it can just run in through your door to an aux outlet in the vehicle. I plug mine into a separate battery pack so I don't have to worry about running my battery down. (no dual batteries yet).

TacomaAustin

Observer
That gray color would look good on my white truck.

It may nice to have the tent pre-wired for 12v DC, depending on the quality of the parts used.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
The RTT power would work great with the 12V outlet I have on the cowl for my removable spotlight. I hated having to needlessly keep my window open during the cold and wet months.

JKU 12V.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
That gray color would look good on my white truck.

It may nice to have the tent pre-wired for 12v DC, depending on the quality of the parts used.

That I don't know. Stu may since he has one. I haven't found anything stating how much current the usb's put out, just that it has them. Same goes for the LED's.
I know it would be nice to have a 12v power port in the tent to run fans and such but chances are I'll add that afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne