CVT Mt. Hood - Anyone have one?

chaosinwest

I have one. I really like it. I had a soft shell but hated having to get up and down to tuck everything away and put the cover on. This has two buckles and you push it up and you are done. Set up time is probably 10 seconds. Putting it away takes a little longer because you have to make sure you tuck the material in before closing. But, maybe 1 minute instead. You can't go wrong with one.

dstock

Explorer
I have one. I really like it. I had a soft shell but hated having to get up and down to tuck everything away and put the cover on. This has two buckles and you push it up and you are done. Set up time is probably 10 seconds. Putting it away takes a little longer because you have to make sure you tuck the material in before closing. But, maybe 1 minute instead. You can't go wrong with one.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. We have a soft shell now and want to swap it out for the same reasons.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rockpharmer

Is there really any difference between the CVT MT Hood and Roofnest Falcon (and presumably others)? They both appear to come out of the same overseas factory with the same specs. Do the US retailers do anything other than add branding?

dstock

Explorer
Is there really any difference between the CVT MT Hood and Roofnest Falcon (and presumably others)? They both appear to come out of the same overseas factory with the same specs. Do the US retailers do anything other than add branding?
I'm guessing not too much difference but I've had very good customer service with CVT and that's who my money will likely go to if I decide to with this particular design.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Old post I know but stumbled on it while perusing the RTT posts.

Went back and forth on the CVT Mt. Hood versus the Roofnest Falcon. In the end, went CVT. The reasons were; first I preferred the color choices on the CVT. Kind of trivial I know but my F150 Super Crew is all black and white with tan interior. The Mt. Hood is black with tan. Second, the price CVT made me was slightly better than the Falcon. Third, the latches on the Mt. Hood are superior to the Falcon in quality and design. Some have tried to order the Mt. Hood latches for their Falcon but they are in short stock. Fourth, the Falcon is 60" long, the Mt. Hood 55". Five inches shorter on the Mt. Hood but I actually wanted that.

I am mounting mine on a SnugTop Rebel shell on Thule tracks with a custom built 3 crossbar setup. I did not want it to overhang my cab too far and I am only 6' tall anyway. CVT has been easy to work with and it shipped right away. I did order two more handles for the sides and will be modifying it as I go.

I have not mounted it yet as I am still waiting on parts.

dstock

Explorer
I ended up purchasing the CVT Mt. Hood, the new design that allows your sleeping bags, pillows and the ladder to be stored inside. Absolutely love it! It bolted directly up to my RhinoRack Pioneer platform.

i-stFCMhR-M.jpg

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
I take it you went with the double rail on the bottom? Since I have a SnugTop shell on my F150 with plenty of storage down below, I went with the single rail.

dstock

Explorer
I take it you went with the double rail on the bottom? Since I have a SnugTop shell on my F150 with plenty of storage down below, I went with the single rail.

I did go with the double rail, it wasn't so much a storage issue, but that does help as well. I just like having my bed ready to go when we hit camp. Also, with the double rail I like that you have the double points of attachment for awnings and such. We seem to encounter lots of washboard roads when we are out in the desert and I tend to prefer a bit of over-engineering to keep things secure. Regardless, the Mt. Hood is a great tent in either configuration!

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Update on my Mt. Hood. Fabricated my own rack using a combination of Sherpa, Prinsu, Thule, 8020.net, and Lowes products to build my own setup. Mounted the Mt. Hood on top and have added several items to it as I have gone along to include two extra latches, extra handles and some rings for attaching the shoe bags and other items. I recently also had a custom cover made for it by coversandall.com.20210630_191328.jpg20210630_191408.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online