CVT Freedom Series

dcg141

Adventurer
Anyone have info on this unit? The website says it has an aluminum cover and the the annex looks like it has changed. The website only shows one pic and no specs unless there is something I'm missing. CVT Freedom Series

BigMF

I just ordered one of the Hybrids that also has an aluminum cover with crossbars so I'm curious about the differences but not interested in buying one. You could call them. When I chatted with Josiah in the Chattanooga office, he was very friendly. The only thing I can find on their Facebook page is a post on July 1 saying it is coming soon and American made. My guess is that it'll be like the Hybrid version but made here in the states.

dcg141

Adventurer
I just ordered one of the Hybrids that also has an aluminum cover with crossbars so I'm curious about the differences but not interested in buying one. You could call them. When I chatted with Josiah in the Chattanooga office, he was very friendly. The only thing I can find on their Facebook page is a post on July 1 saying it is coming soon and American made. My guess is that it'll be like the Hybrid version but made here in the states.
When are you getting your tent? Would love to see a pic.

BigMF

I would love to take a pic. Unfortunately I haven't received it yet. I sent them an email yesterday but haven't heard back. May be out for the holidays. Hit me up in another month!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m pretty sure I saw one of those on a pickup in town this week. It seems like a slick idea, something I was thinking about for a while already. It would be interesting to make a similar conversion for some of these diamond-plate floored tents.

BigMF

Sooo....I picked up the hybrid Shasta with extended fly last week. Drove down to Chattanooga from Nashville to do a "self install". They'll install it for you for a fee but I wanted to do it myself to get more familiar with it. Fortunately, they allowed me to pull into their warehouse (ancient but really cool/historical) to do the install since it was in the 30's outside and it took me nearly 3 hours. They told me ahead of time that they would help get it on top of the truck when I was ready for that which was great.

Most of the time was spent because I was brand new to an RTT and wanted to take my time and do it right. Also, there are NO written instructions included with the tent, which to me, is a BIG issue. I will try to do a more complete write up of the install process later. Also, the hardware to actually attach it to the roof rack that they included was incorrect. The tracks were already attached to the tent but the small rectangular pieces of aluminum that were supposed to slide into those tracks did not fit. I think they fit the original tracks they used, but not the new ones. Fortunately, they had some that would work on hand and just swapped them out. So, another good reason that I did the install there. If I hadn't been able to walk over and ask them questions immediately, I would not have know if I was doing something wrong or the hardware was wrong, ESPECIALLY with no instructions included.

Anyway, once that was all sorted out, they brought out the forklift and lifted it for me to sit it on top and get it installed. I have a Prinsu rack and did not get the tent mounting feet. I opted, instead, to attach the rack bars to the tent, lift the tent on to the rack, and re-attach the bars to the rack. This was not a problem for the install, but it DOES cause a problem with the use of the tent itself. The softcover that goes around the sides attaches around the edge of the top and wraps around the bottom edge. There are straps and buckles to keep in place while in motion. With the tent flat on the rack, it is impossible to clip those buckles shut. I have ordered the tall feet from Frontrunner and will try to use them with my Prinsu rack. The mounting feet from Prinsu are only 1" tall and I don't think that is enough room to get under there and get to those buckles. I chose to wrap some straps around the tent until I can get the tent feet installed. In reality, the cover is probably not going to blow up but I'm unwilling to take that chance and/or get rain under the cover because it's not tight against the edges.

Obviously haven't slept in it yet but the mattress feels comfortable. Very long and wide enough to not be very uncomfortable for two people. That being said, I'm 6'4"/200lbs and my son is 6'1"/220lbs (football player) so it might be tight for us in the Shasta.

The extended fly is nice because it covers the tent door and ladder completely. The annex room will be nice in certain situations and there is actually enough room between the ladder and the side of the truck to fit a queen size air mattress if needed. However, the annex, which includes a heavy duty vinyl floor is very heavy and bulky. I'd guestimate it weighs close to 40 pounds and is bigger than my 4 man tent when rolled up. So, the vinyl floor may get left behind and we'll just deal with a dirt floor if necessary.

There two cross bars to mount to the roof rails included. It is all 80/20 aluminum so pretty standard.

Also included are two awning poles that you can use to prop up the flap of the annex to be a mini-awning.

I'll try to do a more extensive photo walk around later, when the weather is nicer but here are a couple of quick shots.

This is the top of the tent. Diamond pattern aluminum over what I'm guessing is fiberglass. Based solely on feel, I'd say the aluminum is very thin. Fine to pull things across but if you drop something heavy and sharp, it might punch right through it.

CVT 01a.JPG

The annex has as much, or more, tent material than the tent itself. Very bulky but could come in hand on rainy days.

CVT 02a.JPG

BigMF

I don't have a picture of it currently but will try to get one tomorrow. That being said, due to the fact that the Prinsu cross bars sit about 3/16" below the side rails and there is only about 3/8" between the sides of the tent and the rails, there is very little room to do anything. Getting the bottom of the tent 1/2" above the side rails and/or cross bars should be sufficient to let the cover wrap around as designed. However, you still wouldn't have room to get your hand under there to do anything.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thanks. It’s no big deal if there isn’t a handy picture, it won’t change my life. I’m working on putting new cover straps on my older style summit series right now and looking into different options.

Ryannnz

Sooo....I picked up the hybrid Shasta with extended fly last week. Drove down to Chattanooga from Nashville to do a "self install". They'll install it for you for a fee but I wanted to do it myself to get more familiar with it. Fortunately, they allowed me to pull into their warehouse (ancient but really cool/historical) to do the install since it was in the 30's outside and it took me nearly 3 hours. They told me ahead of time that they would help get it on top of the truck when I was ready for that which was great.

Most of the time was spent because I was brand new to an RTT and wanted to take my time and do it right. Also, there are NO written instructions included with the tent, which to me, is a BIG issue. I will try to do a more complete write up of the install process later. Also, the hardware to actually attach it to the roof rack that they included was incorrect. The tracks were already attached to the tent but the small rectangular pieces of aluminum that were supposed to slide into those tracks did not fit. I think they fit the original tracks they used, but not the new ones. Fortunately, they had some that would work on hand and just swapped them out. So, another good reason that I did the install there. If I hadn't been able to walk over and ask them questions immediately, I would not have know if I was doing something wrong or the hardware was wrong, ESPECIALLY with no instructions included.

Anyway, once that was all sorted out, they brought out the forklift and lifted it for me to sit it on top and get it installed. I have a Prinsu rack and did not get the tent mounting feet. I opted, instead, to attach the rack bars to the tent, lift the tent on to the rack, and re-attach the bars to the rack. This was not a problem for the install, but it DOES cause a problem with the use of the tent itself. The softcover that goes around the sides attaches around the edge of the top and wraps around the bottom edge. There are straps and buckles to keep in place while in motion. With the tent flat on the rack, it is impossible to clip those buckles shut. I have ordered the tall feet from Frontrunner and will try to use them with my Prinsu rack. The mounting feet from Prinsu are only 1" tall and I don't think that is enough room to get under there and get to those buckles. I chose to wrap some straps around the tent until I can get the tent feet installed. In reality, the cover is probably not going to blow up but I'm unwilling to take that chance and/or get rain under the cover because it's not tight against the edges.

Obviously haven't slept in it yet but the mattress feels comfortable. Very long and wide enough to not be very uncomfortable for two people. That being said, I'm 6'4"/200lbs and my son is 6'1"/220lbs (football player) so it might be tight for us in the Shasta.

The extended fly is nice because it covers the tent door and ladder completely. The annex room will be nice in certain situations and there is actually enough room between the ladder and the side of the truck to fit a queen size air mattress if needed. However, the annex, which includes a heavy duty vinyl floor is very heavy and bulky. I'd guestimate it weighs close to 40 pounds and is bigger than my 4 man tent when rolled up. So, the vinyl floor may get left behind and we'll just deal with a dirt floor if necessary.

There two cross bars to mount to the roof rails included. It is all 80/20 aluminum so pretty standard.

Also included are two awning poles that you can use to prop up the flap of the annex to be a mini-awning.

I'll try to do a more extensive photo walk around later, when the weather is nicer but here are a couple of quick shots.

This is the top of the tent. Diamond pattern aluminum over what I'm guessing is fiberglass. Based solely on feel, I'd say the aluminum is very thin. Fine to pull things across but if you drop something heavy and sharp, it might punch right through it.

View attachment 639753

The annex has as much, or more, tent material than the tent itself. Very bulky but could come in hand on rainy days.

View attachment 639754

So funny you mention no written instructions!

I felt like I was taking crazy pills when we opened it at home. Luckily the Vegas shop was great about hopping on the phone with us.

We just posted a video review about the whole setup (link below). We got a Denali Hybrid.... maybe worth the size upgrade for you?

1b56e9c3eccf80f232befdd1d9761cd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94