CVT Cover Modifications

Hello all.

This is my first post, so wanted to introduce myself, name is Dan, live in Akron Ohio. Couple months ago I bought a 2016 Tacoma, off road, 6 speed manual, short bed, color metallic grey. My first truck and absolutely love it. Couple weeks ago I purchased a Mt Shasta hybrid extended fly with annex from CVT Las Vegas. I also purchased the bed rack from a buddy who is taking his truck a different route. The rack is for a long bed, but was able to fit in the short and looks fantastic. The tent was discounted as it is an older generation tent. I was warned that the travel cover is extremely tight (and it most certainly is) however, I saved an incredible amount of money by going this route. Financially it made the most sense for me. I have already used the tent a couple of times and love it. The only issue I have with it remains the tight travel cover and how difficult it is to setup and take down because of how tight it is. I reached out to CVT about this https://cascadiatents.com/travel-cover.html they claim that it will not work. I think it will.

So with all that said, has anyone modified their older generation travel cover from CVT?

IMG_4962.JPGIMG_4961.JPG

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Mine isn’t that tight. Are you closing the tent all the way and properly? Is it tighter on one side than the other? Can you describe your desired modifications? I made new straps and I’ve considered a few other changes.

ChasingOurTrunks

I can't say for 100% certain how to address this in your case, but here's my thoughts having owned a couple of RTTs.

Most of these RTTs are constructed in the same way; my Tepui had a zipper cover. The other half of the zipper was retained on the tent base itself, about a 3" piece of fabric that is secured to the tent via an aluminum extrusion trackway which retained a plastic bar that was sewed into the fabric. I don't know if I'm describing it right but I've been unable to find photos. My other tent, a Smittybilt, uses the exact same attachment method (plastic bar sewed into a piece of fabric which is retained into a matching slot in the extrusion of the tent base). My ARB awning also uses this attachment method. The point is, if you need a bigger travel cover, you don't have to stick with CVT. You can probably look to other manufacturers to find a looser one.

Another option - because these are so simple to attach, a local automotive or even better, marine upholsterer (think boat covers) should be able to build you a cover for a price not too much more than the CVT cover.

The other problem might be your tent is too full of bedding and such, and needs to compress further but given this is a known issue for this generation of tents (from what you describe), this is likely not going to help much. Still, it might helping the future - One of the best things I did was replace my stock straps that cinch my tent closed with light ratchet straps.

The current cover design is basically a zipper around the whole tent near the top where the overlap has a Velcro strip that then goes over the zipper. The pvc cover pulls down underneath the tent floor. There their are eight straps with clips at all corners and in the middle of each side. I am at work currently but will get a better photo.

CVT claims people with this earlier designed tent some had success with applying a vertical zipper to the pvc cover with a Velcro strip to water seal it. This allow for the cover to be zipped up top, the making it easier to pull under the tent floor then follow up with the vertical zipper connection.

The above options are modifying my current cover, however, I was curious if I could get this to work? https://cascadiatents.com/travel-cover.html

Attachments

• IMG_4962.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Mine isn’t that tight. Are you closing the tent all the way and properly? Is it tighter on one side than the other? Can you describe your desired modifications? I made new straps and I’ve considered a few other changes.
I would think you have a newer design cover then what I have. The tent is closing consistent all around and I dont have one side tighter then the other. I have tried to explain my desired mods above so hope that helps.

I can't say for 100% certain how to address this in your case, but here's my thoughts having owned a couple of RTTs.

Most of these RTTs are constructed in the same way; my Tepui had a zipper cover. The other half of the zipper was retained on the tent base itself, about a 3" piece of fabric that is secured to the tent via an aluminum extrusion trackway which retained a plastic bar that was sewed into the fabric. I don't know if I'm describing it right but I've been unable to find photos. My other tent, a Smittybilt, uses the exact same attachment method (plastic bar sewed into a piece of fabric which is retained into a matching slot in the extrusion of the tent base). My ARB awning also uses this attachment method. The point is, if you need a bigger travel cover, you don't have to stick with CVT. You can probably look to other manufacturers to find a looser one. I think the design is a bit different then what you describe. However, if I can go with CVT replacement cover that I linked in the comment above and get that to work, I am going that route. I like your idea about going with another manufacturer.

Another option - because these are so simple to attach, a local automotive or even better, marine upholsterer (think boat covers) should be able to build you a cover for a price not too much more than the CVT cover. I have thought of this too, I live near a large vacation type lake location and their are marine upholsterers all over, think I will make some phone calls.

The other problem might be your tent is too full of bedding and such, and needs to compress further but given this is a known issue for this generation of tents (from what you describe), this is likely not going to help much. Still, it might helping the future - One of the best things I did was replace my stock straps that cinch my tent closed with light ratchet straps. I don't think their is too much stuffed inside, in fact I just have the mattress, the older design is just that tight.

Great description and explanation, thank you. I will do my best to answer and address everything you mentioned. See red comments above

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would think you have a newer design cover then what I have. The tent is closing consistent all around and I dont have one side tighter then the other. I have tried to explain my desired mods above so hope that helps.

I think you are right, mine must be newer than yours. It is interesting, I think your cover is probably a much better design than mine, potentially with the exception of zipping it! I’m a little surprised that design evolution went from there to what I have.

roving1

I have an older CVT MT Shasta with summit tent material and it is nearly impossible to close even with no bedding in the tent.

I wanted to just get a boat top maker or truck tarp company to make me something that just bungies on from underneath. It would be 10 times easier. Never could get it done in a quick manner and I was busy with mechanical stuff.

I just bolted a D ring to the top and one of the bolt down ratchet strap to the bottom of the tent so I can compress the thing down enough to get the stupid cover on w/o a struggle. It was the best short term solution.

My biggest fantasy was to roll into CVT and bet that they could not put away my tent in under 15 minutes for 100 bucks and then watch them hilariously fail.

The summit material is just so thick and the CVT design just doesn't take into account at all in any way for somewhere for the fabric to go in an orderly compact fashion. Even tucking it in carefully standing on a ladder does nothing. But the cover is also just way too small also. I could care less if it flapped a little vs constantly struggling with putting it on.
PXL_20210805_000606836.jpgPXL_20210805_001637499.jpg
Erickson 34423 Pro Series 2" x 5.5' Bolt-On Retractable Ratcheting Tie-Down Strap, (Pack of 2)

Attachments

• PXL_20210805_001637499.jpg
    PXL_20210805_001637499.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I was warned significantly on the tightness of the tent cover, however, in saving about 1,500 in this one was worth the frustration. I am really liking the idea of having an upholstery place (like boat covers) make me something. I feel if I solve this issue, I can help others with the same tent.

I think you are right, mine must be newer than yours. It is interesting, I think your cover is probably a much better design than mine, potentially with the exception of zipping it! I’m a little surprised that design evolution went from there to what I have.
Perhaps its because it takes all the frustration and time to set up and take down out of the equation.

I have an older CVT MT Shasta with summit tent material and it is nearly impossible to close even with no bedding in the tent.

I wanted to just get a boat top maker or truck tarp company to make me something that just bungies on from underneath. It would be 10 times easier. Never could get it done in a quick manner and I was busy with mechanical stuff.

I just bolted a D ring to the top and one of the bolt down ratchet strap to the bottom of the tent so I can compress the thing down enough to get the stupid cover on w/o a struggle. It was the best short term solution.

My biggest fantasy was to roll into CVT and bet that they could not put away my tent in under 15 minutes for 100 bucks and then watch them hilariously fail.

The summit material is just so thick and the CVT design just doesn't take into account at all in any way for somewhere for the fabric to go in an orderly compact fashion. Even tucking it in carefully standing on a ladder does nothing. But the cover is also just way too small also. I could care less if it flapped a little vs constantly struggling with putting it on.
View attachment 674881View attachment 674880
Erickson 34423 Pro Series 2" x 5.5' Bolt-On Retractable Ratcheting Tie-Down Strap, (Pack of 2)
Hmm interesting. Can you take a photo looking away so that I can see the whole tent cover, I think you still might have a different design then I do.

roving1

Hmm interesting. Can you take a photo looking away so that I can see the whole tent cover, I think you still might have a different design then I do.
Here's one.

tent.jpg

The only way I could ever close my tent is to climb on top and with all my body weight on the tent cinch up the velcro straps at the very maximum of their travel. Or ratchet strap the whole thing closed and then use vice grips to hold the velcro straps at the four corners then remove the strap co I could get the cover on. Which then just evolved into cutting a slit through the bottom so I could just keep the ratchet strap tight.

I was out of the country or using it on trips from the minute I bought it so I never had a chance to get with CVT and figure out what the deal was.

Here's one.

View attachment 675033

The only way I could ever close my tent is to climb on top and with all my body weight on the tent cinch up the velcro straps at the very maximum of their travel. Or ratchet strap the whole thing closed and then use vice grips to hold the velcro straps at the four corners then remove the strap co I could get the cover on. Which then just evolved into cutting a slit through the bottom so I could just keep the ratchet strap tight.

I was out of the country or using it on trips from the minute I bought it so I never had a chance to get with CVT and figure out what the deal was.
Awesome. Thank you for the photo.

This is the type of tent cover that I linked up above and the one that I am still considering purchasing from CVT to try on mine. Does this have a zipper near the bottom of the cover and zip all around?

roving1

Yes
Awesome. Thank you for the photo.

This is the type of tent cover that I linked up above and the one that I am still considering purchasing from CVT to try on mine. Does this have a zipper near the bottom of the cover and zip all around?

Zipper goes all around the 3 sides.

Called two upholstery shops near me. One didn’t want to touch the damn thing and said they were too busy for this project. Another said they had their guy quit last week on them.
I would think a small local shop would want this work. If successful, would be good promoting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles