CV half shaft replacement, issue

bikerjosh

Explorer
Ok, so after replacing the driver side front cv axle on my 98 Montero w/o drama I mentioned it to my buddy that has a 95 SR w/torn inner boots on both sides. On his we ended up replacing the lower balljoints as well since their boots were torn. After discovering that the place he ordered the axles from sent the wrong passenger axle and getting the correct one, while buttoning it up last night ran into an issue. Can't get the c-clips back on the ends of either axle. I need the axle to be about 1/16" more outboard to get the c-clip to seat. Tried pulling on the axle from the backside of the knuckle, nothing. Tried putting a jack under the a-arm hoping that if I compressed the suspension we might get some clearance, nope. On the passenger side we ended up having to disassemble the rotor/hub due to an unrelated issue, so I thought if we were going to have a problem it would be there, but the problem is on both sides and the driver side was just a axle and lower ball joint change out.
Before we replaced either side I verified the new axles were the same length as the OEMs.
His Montero is still in my driveway taking up space, and he leaves for Cabo on Saturday for a vacation. Please help me get his truck out of my driveway. :sombrero:
It is making my 98 nervous.
thanks Josh

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
You had some axle shims involved in this process right? They go behind the c-clip. There is a runout spec for those shims. You can get a variety pack of shims from Mitsubishi. I'm guessing your putting the same shims back on and they aren't working now. You'll maybe need to use thinner shims.

JamesW

Adventurer
The thrust washer on the axle facing the hub has gone on the wrong way. I'm not 100% but I think that the textured side must face the hub

Another issue that I ran into, was the lip on the axle (around the circumference of the CV joint) had gotten a bit if a hit, and it didn't sit into the groove on the hub properly

plh

Explorer
The thrust washer on the axle facing the hub has gone on the wrong way. I'm not 100% but I think that the textured side must face the hub

I'm with James on this. That brass washer is flipped the wrong way.

bikerjosh

Explorer
I'm with James on this. That brass washer is flipped the wrong way.
So that is the washer with the groves/crosshatches going across at like four points? I'm positive I installed those with the grooves facing out (toward the hub). Hmmmm. My buddy left for a week in Cabo so his Montero is taking a stay-cation in my driveway.
I'll take a look are it later today after I get a ride in, not looking forward to popping the ball-joints since my buddy broke my press.
Thanks for the responses.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I'm guessing then that when you say you can't get the C-clips back on that you mean it isn't even close? I had this problem after replacing CV's because the shim I was trying to use was too thick. It would have been possible to put the c-clip on without the shim, but the shims are required, so I had to put on a thinner shim.

I also have dealt with the brass thrust washer confusion. The shop manual has a drawing but I remember it still was confusing. I must have gotten it right though because I was able to set the runout and put the clip back on and that was thousands of miles ago.

plh

Explorer
Here is how it is supposed to go together

ThrustWasher.JPG

ThrustWasher2.JPG

bikerjosh

Explorer
CV

@plh, thanks.
Pretty sure those were put on in reversed (wrong) position. His replacement took so long because, he had the wrong axles first, and then broke the lower ball joint. I think too much time passed between disassembling and reassembling truck. I didn't have the same problem since I took my driver side out and replaced w/a new one at the same time. Looks like it is time to press out the ball joints again. :(

RyanY

Adventurer
Make sure you check the outer metal lip (dust shield?) around the joint for damage. It's visible in the lower pic posted above. I've seen that get dented and not allow the axle to mate up snugly with the hub again.

nckwltn

Explorer
Just did my driver's side boots today.... Will post up pictures and "how-to" on the passenger side when I get to it. Only boots on the driver's side were torn, but all boots are worn.

The axle didn't seem very greasy when I pulled everything off... but I did lube it up like the picture above....

Should I be concerned that there wasn't a lot of grease on the axle?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Hmmm, boots torn, do you know how long they have been torn? Grease may have been flung out/dried over time; general rule of thumb if the balls in the cages look good and the joints weren't clicking prior to rebooting you should be fine.
On a separate subject, should have the first trans skid fabbed up in the next week or two.

Just did my driver's side boots today.... Will post up pictures and "how-to" on the passenger side when I get to it. Only boots on the driver's side were torn, but all boots are worn.

The axle didn't seem very greasy when I pulled everything off... but I did lube it up like the picture above....

Should I be concerned that there wasn't a lot of grease on the axle?

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Make sure you check the outer metal lip (dust shield?) around the joint for damage. It's visible in the lower pic posted above. I've seen that get dented and not allow the axle to mate up snugly with the hub again.

He's seen it alright...on mine. Ryan fixed it and we got to go fo-wheelin' that day. It's the most likely thing keeping it from going back together. Other than that, you have the right idea pushing the half shaft from behind the hub while someone else puts the clip on.

If you installed pre-assembled, remanufactured half-shafts, please report back with your experiences. The AZ Crew generally has not had good luck with them, having snapped several, since inexplicably, the rebuilders mill the shafts themselves, making them thinner and weaker (at least the ones we've seen).

John B.

TheMole

Adventurer
I went through this earlier today as I had to replace a moog lower ball joint with an oem unit because the boot ripped and all the grease came out. The brass thrust washer was put on correctly, but there still wasn't enough room to fit both the washer shim and c-clip so I put only the c-clip back on. Are the grooves on the thrust washer supposed to line up with something on the axle? I'm thinking I either didn't line it up or I need to use a tool to tap in the c-clip with washer behind it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles