CV half shaft replacement, issue

TheMole

Adventurer
I went through this earlier today as I had to replace a moog lower ball joint with an oem unit because the boot ripped and all the grease came out. The brass thrust washer was put on correctly, but there still wasn't enough room to fit both the washer shim and c-clip so I put only the c-clip back on. Are the grooves on the thrust washer supposed to line up with something on the axle? I'm thinking I either didn't line it up or I need to use a tool to tap in the c-clip with washer behind it.

Nevermind, I was able to install both the washer shim and c-clip earlier :victory:.

bikerjosh

Explorer
More CV issues, this time removal on my rig

Posted in my (non-named build thread) Pics are in the link below:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/130673-new-to-mitsubishi-group/page5

I seem to have forgotten about this thread, before I rebuild the thread on what I have done since I need to ask a question. On a trip east of Red Bluff I gernaded the driver side cv axle and the transfer case bushing gave up the ghost leaving me in 4Lo (really 2 low I guess w/o a driver an axle.)
As I was repairing (bandaid at best), my buddy tried to remove the inboard part of axle. The axle came out w/o the cage. Now I am left with the inboard cage and rest of the axle stuck in diff. Tried to pull it out but no dice? Anyone know of a trick to remove this part of axle from the diff?

BTW- this was an aftermarket CV axle (I'll post pics of the axle once I get the rest out) Pictures of current status below:

Thanks for looking-Josh

You have to pull it straight out, can't pry it crooked due to the circlip inside. Much easier to do with the while axle assembly intact. Since yours isn't, you can try to pry from at least 2 sides of the cup to put even straight pressure out. Hope it helps. It's a tough one. Btdt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94