Cutting the rear section off an SUV to build a camper box

jfman

Anyone knows of an SUV based build where the body was cut off behind the front doors and then a box was installed on the now naked frame.

In the fashion of a cutaway van but where an SUV was used.

If you have build threads of photos to share I would be quite interested in seeing the results.

Thanks!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Google land cruiser camper conversions. There’s a number of commercial (Japanese) builds and several diy builds on IH8mud. Good luck!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Those LC's are available in truck configuration overseas, I'm pretty sure most of those are truck based. Most expo worthy SUV's have a truck counterpart. Unless you already have the SUV or pick one up real cheap...

jfman

Most expo worthy SUV's have a truck counterpart. Unless you already have the SUV or pick one up real cheap...

I agree with you.

Localy seems to be however easier to find cleaner lower mileage SUV's than trucks. But the build would be more involved and a lot less reversible.

I am all up for some build examples you'd like to share.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Those LC's are available in truck configuration overseas, I'm pretty sure most of those are truck based. Most expo worthy SUV's have a truck counterpart. Unless you already have the SUV or pick one up real cheap...
That Maltec started life as an 80 series wagon. Toyota never made a ute/pickup 80 series like they did in the 40 and 70 series.

Doesn't stop people from cutting them up, though.

IMG_20150525_123407_mid.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Depending on the vehicle a lot of time they were unoriginal with the frames and both the SUV and truck versions used similar if not the same cab mounts.

So a pickup cab could go onto a rolled SUV running gear without a lot of work...

vargsmetal

Look up @gman_and_happy on Instagram. He built/owned this awesome camper out of a two door Yukon complete with a 4bt diesel and a solid axle swap. Unfortunately he sold it cheap and I missed out on it, but I wanted it bad.
236e38bfba9b9c7500bc0791b813e0a4.jpg
ed42f4798f7482cd8ea46920dd7d75e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
I was just talking to my buddy about taking an Fj80 cut and reinforce at the B and adding one of my pods and poptoppers
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior