Cutting the Fat. Bumpers???

@Victory_Overland[/USER] I have pulled what I can out of my interior too. I pulled my 3ed row and switched it with my Wife's 5 seater rear deck. Although I did not pull the Rear AC as My dog Rides back there on long Family Trips. I was surprised how much they weighed, I would pull two of my second row two, but we keep my son setting in the middle

No chance I am taking out the rear AC but yeah, that 3rd row seat is ridiculous weight; I think if I remember its 90lbs total with brackets and panels. However, I think if you have the ARB, most of your parts are still under there except the bumper support, bumper cover, and I think you need to get new wheel arches. I bet Ebay or RockAuto is your go to on most of these parts and not really too expensive from my original search; once you get that stuff the ARB/TR bumper will sell quick.

I did not buy this for excellent gas milage, never entered into the equation as my last vehicle was a 710M Pizgauer that got 16 mpg downhill with a tail wind. Before that a 404 Mog that got maybe 10 mpg if I was lucky.
So with the additional comfort and the ability to travel at mostly posted speed and great off road ability I am really ahead. Well, that is how I feel. It is also a DD and of course uses the most expensive gas one can buy.
Maintenance is a bit costly, parts are not inexpensive, but it is my baby and I have to live with the decisions I have made. I can do that.

Yep, no doubt on how porky Victory is but I take stuff out I don't need and put in what I do need. The tool kit will always stay in and I am considering not making a rear sliding drawer under my sleeping platform but a sliding tray that will hold lightweight cases. My thought process is that if I have drawers, they will stay full; and if I have cases, then I can easily remove the weight as needed and only leave the specific cases per my desires; i.e. tool kit box, camp stove box, 9 irons, stuffed buffalo, you know; all the necessities.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Even when I build or install the aux fuel tank to ditch the Jerries, I'll sacrifice some additional mileage for increased range by carrying more fuel weight but the goal is to pack out as light as possible but still be comfy. If I can get over 350+ miles on a trail I guess I'd be happy which means I need another 10+ gallons of fuel on board and about 11.5+ mpg average.

krick3tt

Adventurer
The FR drawer system is important because it is, in conjunction with the ARB and the side storage boxes I made that fit over the two side seats, my sleeping platform. They all combine to level out for sleeping, with the addition of an inflatable pad from REI, and although a bit short (no pun intended) on headroom, still more height than the bunk I slept in on the carrier in Viet Nam.
Yes I find the drawers contain stuff that stays in them all the time but I only have to put food in the ARB and gas in the tank and I am ready to travel and I know where everything is without forgetting anything.

Happy trails

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well after contemplating all this and talking with family I may feel out ebay first and see what I can get if I sell the Truck. It is well cared for and fully kitted, but I would need to sell it for at least 10k for it to be worth wild. Said any saving on economy with a new vehicle would be lost in a car payment. :confused:

gatorgrizz27

Well after contemplating all this and talking with family I may feel out ebay first and see what I can get if I sell the Truck. It is well cared for and fully kitted, but I would need to sell it for at least 10k for it to be worth wild. Said any saving on economy with a new vehicle would be lost in a car payment. :confused:

If the $ situation is as tight as you say it is, that the LR3 gas bill isn’t affordable, you need to look at something like a $5,000-$7,000 Honda Civic. Putting a ton of miles on a newish car you’re making payments on will always leave you upside down in it. It’s another story if it’s maintenance/repair costs and rental cars due to it sitting in the shop.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
If the $ situation is as tight as you say it is, that the LR3 gas bill isn’t affordable, you need to look at something like a $5,000-$7,000 Honda Civic. Putting a ton of miles on a newish car you’re making payments on will always leave you upside down in it. It’s another story if it’s maintenance/repair costs and rental cars due to it sitting in the shop.

Its a Combination of the two (Gas and Maintenance). I have an 01 Tahoe that I use when the Rovers are in need of work , its gets about the same MPG has more pickup, runs on Regular and is much cheaper to work on. I will Probably just drive it for a while.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Pulling this out for the past. Anyone in Texas want to Buy my Tactical Rovers rear bumper with duel swing away? $1300 plus your plastic LR3 Bumper??? I want to get Terrafirma's rear tire carrier. I want to get some payload back from this Heavy Pig. Not selling the Rhino Hitch just bumper and swing outs.
IMG_0026.jpg

tdhunter13

Observer
Pulling this out for the past. Anyone in Texas want to Buy my Tactical Rovers rear bumper with duel swing away? $1300 plus your plastic LR3 Bumper??? I want to get Terrafirma's rear tire carrier. I want to get some payload back from this Heavy Pig. Not selling the Rhino Hitch just bumper and swing outs.

@TexasTJ where are you located in Texas? I am still interested in this and make quarterly trips to Dallas. Could trade you bumper, flares, and my tire carrier (if interested). It definitely needs some updating, but could be done for WAY under the Terrafirma cost. Let me know your thoughts.

~Tyler

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
@TexasTJ where are you located in Texas? I am still interested in this and make quarterly trips to Dallas. Could trade you bumper, flares, and my tire carrier (if interested). It definitely needs some updating, but could be done for WAY under the Terrafirma cost. Let me know your thoughts.

~Tyler
I am in Austin Tyler. Can I see an image of you tire carrier? What things do you think need to be modified on it?

Last edited:

tdhunter13

Observer
I am in Austin Tyler. Can I see an image of you tire carrier?

It is one of the original Voyager Swingouts. It is has some design flaws in my opinion, but could be fixed if you (or a buddy) has some welding ability. I don’t have one of it open currently, but can get one if you want.

Attachments

• 50E492AC-9B50-4131-A247-51070021E1C9.jpeg
    50E492AC-9B50-4131-A247-51070021E1C9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 36E06A15-F5E3-4913-8A24-C68E34DEF5BE.jpeg
    36E06A15-F5E3-4913-8A24-C68E34DEF5BE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
It is one of the original Voyager Swingouts. It is has some design flaws in my opinion, but could be fixed if you (or a buddy) has some welding ability. I don’t have one of it open currently, but can get one if you want.
How hard it is to to open and close? my Wife does not like how difficult it is to open the TR swing outs. That's part of what I liked about the Terraferma is how easy it open and closes.

Last edited:

tdhunter13

Observer
How hard it is to to open and close? my Wife does not like how difficult it is to open the TR swing outs. That's part of what I liked about the Terraferma is how easy it open and closes.

It's one of these rotary style latches (links below), super easy to open/close. It does not hold as tight as I would like it to, there is a little play, but I believe that can be adjusted. Just have to be careful opening because the gas strut is the only thing that stops it. One thing I would change is to add a steel cable to take/hold the force when it sits open. (Less stress on the strut)
Amazon Link Pinterest Link

What part of the TR design makes it difficult to open? Just the fact that there are two swingouts?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
@t
It's one of these rotary style latches (links below), super easy to open/close. It does not hold as tight as I would like it to, there is a little play, but I believe that can be adjusted. Just have to be careful opening because the gas strut is the only thing that stops it. One thing I would change is to add a steel cable to take/hold the force when it sits open. (Less stress on the strut)
Amazon Link Pinterest Link

What part of the TR design makes it difficult to open? Just the fact that there are two swingouts?

@tdhunter13 it has a really cheap latch the clamp it closed and you have to hold both swingouts closed all the want have have the clamp at just the right angle to get it to close. All in all just a cheap out design in a $2000 bumper. Its not all that hard for me but for my wife its a lot of weight to hold closed while trying to fit a latch on at just the right the right angle.
IMG_2795.jpgIMG_2797.jpg

Last edited:

tdhunter13

Observer
@tdhunter13 it has a really cheap latch the clamp it closed and you have to hold both swingouts closed all the want have have the clamp at just the right angle to get it to close. All in all just a cheap out design in a $2000 bumper. Its not all that hard for me but for my wife its a lot of weight to hold closed while trying to fit a latch on at just the right the right angle.

Ah... makes sense now. I remember reading about that on @Victory_Overland 's build thread. Agreed, seems like the latches were an after (after a few beers) thought. Looks like I may need to touch base with Victory and see about modifying. Mine has the same style latches he put on his. How have the bearings and sleeves held up on the ends?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94