Cutoff switch in solar, where to put it?

Fatboyz

Observer
I have a thread already on my proposed system on my 550. After some suggestions here I am going to include a cutoff between the batteries and my 12 volt fuse box. I also want to isolate my solar side with a cutoff. If I put it after my smartsolar controller between the controller and the batteries will that be an issue? If I want to change batteries etc I want to be able to turn off the solar system. Will the controller have an issue if suddenly it doesn't see the batteries?
If this location is an issue where should the disconnect on the solar side go?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Most solar controllers say to connect the battery first, then the solar. That's because they power themselves from the battery, and also many auto-detect the battery voltage range (12v or 24v mostly).

So I'd put a switch in the pos of the solar and switch it off first, then switch off the battery. Power back up in reverse order.

john61ct

Adventurer
Doesn't have to be a switch, quick disconnect panel wires is fine.

Battery bank should have its master isolation switch.

HAF

Double check with the maker of your panels. Renogy manual states "Never connect the solar panel array without a battery. Battery must be connected first".

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I use simple re-settable breakers for both battery and solar connections at the charge controller.
Makes servicing, repairs, and troubleshooting very easy.

Simple, cheap, and effective (y)

43424033594_01724ffb3c_b.jpg

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
between solar panel and controller, when you disconnect the panel the controller will think its night time.

If you put between controller and battery, when you disconnect the battery and you still getting power from sun (daytime) the controller will cycle back and forth.

Here is a diagram how I got my solar system setup, I use a relay to disconnect the panel, but you can use a toggle switch.

diagram a.jpg

Fatboyz

Observer
My thoughts were to avoid sparking if changing out a battery. I was just going to put one of these between the panels and the controller.

Attachments

• onoff-12v-battery-isolator-kill-switch-boat-camper-rv-cae-003510-01.jpg
    onoff-12v-battery-isolator-kill-switch-boat-camper-rv-cae-003510-01.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 10

dreadlocks

Master Disconnect switch between battery and all loads, and a way to disconnect the always hot solar panels from the controller, I just use andersons w/a locking pin in em, cuz thats what I use.. keyed em differently so they unique.

xvz12

I guess I'm confused, I don't see the point of having a switch between the solar panels & the controller....the only thing between my panels & the controller is an inline fuse. I do have a master switch between the battery bank & the load. My panels are connected to the controller, which is connected to the battery bank (fused) 24/7. If I ever do want to disconnect them, I just use the MC4 connectors. The battery bank has a waterproof meter which I can check via a push button from the outside, & there's another one inside the rig. Down & dirty, cheap (relatively), & simple....been that way for two years now, with no problems (so far).

dreadlocks

Your solar panels are an energy source like your battery, unless you completely wrap em with opaque material that wont blow away and keep em from any light they will have voltage.. there's no off switch on the solar panels and it dont take much for em to output some voltage.. much like your battery.

When you go to screw the wires into your solar controller, you dont want em to be live.. you want to put those in and then connect the panels.. assuming these are hard installed panels, not portable ones.. its the same thing as sparking when you hookup battery terminals w/load.. say you need to service controller, do you want two live wires just dangling there w/practically no separation? would be a great way to muckup a panel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatboyz

Observer
Thats pretty big switch.
Whats wattage of your module array anyway ?
My panels are in series so 36 volts at 5.5 amps. These are relatively cheap so was looking at them. I'm checking out the local (60 miles away) Princess Auto today to see what else they have. I was going to use these for both panel and main house loads disconnect.
I figured it's easier to put them in now while I'm building the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online