customizing a landcruiser for overland expedition

rideglobally

Adventurer
day 13 of the build

i am still having problem putting pictures here if you want to see picture please log on on to this link http://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/236987-building-landcruiser-overland-expedition.html

Day 13 was spent assembling the camper shell. We have used many high tech tools at LCNW, but, today the story goes to a clamping device called a “cleeco”. We are told this tool was invented by a Boeing employee name Jim Cleeco. It was originally used in the aircraft industry to assemble airplanes. Needless to say it was the most useful tool we used today to assemble the “camper shell box”.

The box came in three pieces. The laser cuts and the press break bends were so precise that when we put together it formed a perfect square. Awesome! To make installation easier 400 holes for the rivets were precisely cut by the laser.

Here is how we installed the camper box on the bed of the cruiser. First, we attached the box. Second, we attached the frame inside the box. This is reverse from the standard way, the frame is build first then the skin is attached to the frame.

Enjoy the pictures!!! :arabia:

rideglobally

Adventurer
last day of the build

here is the link if you want to see pictures, sorry just do not have good luck up loading pictures here http://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/236987-building-landcruiser-overland-expedition.html

Here are the last pictures. The first picture is the cruiser when we arrived at LCNW, the second is when we left, and the third is the location of the spare tire under the deck to lower the center of gravity. The tire compartment will be completely enclosed … a cool addition.

The drive back to Los Angeles was great. We cruised the freeway between 65 to 70 mph @ 22000 rpm and on hills 45 to 50 mph on third gear. Driving on a flat freeway it felt like it needed a fifth gear. The “top side heaviness” is almost totally gone. We are excited about weighing in on the scales. I will not be surprise if it lost about 1000 lbs. The cruiser is also now one foot shorter and about 6" lower. It no longer sags in the rear. And the 40-gallon fuel tank behind the rear differential is gone. It was a very different cruiser on the drive back.

The 14 days at LCNW was "cuiser boot camp" starting daily at 6:30am ending at about 9-10 pm. Hard work but all fun stuff. We cannot say enough about the great people we met at LCNW team. Our current plan is to go back to LCNW in December. Here is the list of things we hope to fabricate and install:

• 40 gal plus fuel tank in the mid section of the cruiser
• pop top
• doors on both sides of the camper shell, including pull out counter to allow access to a refrigerator, kitchen gear, clothes etc.
• bull bar, and,
• running boards

This is a long list and we will cross our fingers until each item is crossed off. The central goal of the build is to continue to lose weight and lower the center of gravity gaining as much agility as possible.

Our next step is to turn our attention to changing the engine, sand blasting and painting of the cruiser. Today we spent the afternoon at Edy's Auto shop in Los Angeles. This is the shop that will do the conversion and the painting. The engine is schedule to arrive from Australia mid to end of November. I will start a thread on the diesel section when that work begins.

We are having a great time doing the build and meeting people. Many thanks to everyone, folks that followed us to our campsite and grocery store to take pictures of the cruiser, the many folks that gave us a thumbs on the freeway and all the honking horns. The cruiser loves the attention.
Enjoy your ride!:arabia:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very cool I absolutely love it. What I love about 40 series is how adaptable/modifiable they are. You will be able to build a wonderful vehicle, and you are so far ahead with a laser cutter, that is just wonderful. I have been doing everything by hand using steel, it is a total PITA (and very heavy). Excellent work... Don't forget the small things when you get there, think comfort, IE good weather stripping, sound proofing and carpeting, etc. It goes so far once installed and implemented, night and day.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Saw you on 9/8 heading south on 101 out of Morgan Hill CA

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

rideglobally

Adventurer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Did I miss what you did with the original shell?

the original shell with the UTE bed is in Auburn, Washington. the initial plan was to replace the UTE bed only, but found out that it would be much easier to rebuild everything from the bed upward :arabia:

rideglobally

Adventurer
air condition

looking for suggestion for a solar friendly air condition for my cruiser. the area to cool is about 14' x 7' x 8'. what are my option:arabia:

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
air conditioner

You could do what the old Land Rovers did, they had another roof shaped piece of sheetmetal about 2 inches above the roof this kept the hot desert sun off the roof and allowed air to pass between them for cooling, not a bad idea for passive cooling.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
It was called a tropical roof..on the LR's

The later Gwagons here in oman have it too.

Its another skin about an inch above the original, insulating the inner roof from the sun.

Paint white or metallic silver also helps a huge ammount

Air gaps and insulation add more passive heat control

Not much available that works on solar power, other than fans

Engel do sell a do it yourself fridge panel which you could modify to make a descent little AC unit with low power consumption

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior