Custom underbody boxes

biggoolies

Adventurer
Ok, I'll first admit that I am new to trucks like these (we have a MB 1120AF that we are currently building), though I come from a long distance sailing background (lots of custom stainless, never laser cut). The original post was asking about under habitat storage boxes, do you guys really feel these need to be laser cut and bent to fine tolerances? In about a month I had planned on starting in on the exterior metal work and have lined up a welder that usually fabricates stainless on custom yachts (I checked out the $2.8 million dollar ketch he had done the work on). Standing there his work looked like objects of art. I feel pretty confident that if he built boxes/tire rack/roof rack that they would look professional and be durable.
Maybe this guy is one of the endangered species...

Ok, I'll first admit that I am new to trucks like these (we have a MB 1120AF that we are currently building), though I come from a long distance sailing background (lots of custom stainless, never laser cut). The original post was asking about under habitat storage boxes, do you guys really feel these need to be laser cut and bent to fine tolerances? In about a month I had planned on starting in on the exterior metal work and have lined up a welder that usually fabricates stainless on custom yachts (I checked out the $2.8 million dollar ketch he had done the work on). Standing there his work looked like objects of art. I feel pretty confident that if he built boxes/tire rack/roof rack that they would look professional and be durable.

That level of craftmanship sounds plenty good to me bud (y)

It is just that at my end of the world that skill is very hard to come by, almost non existent. I have bumped my head many times. And if you do find someone who can, the money you will spend may as well be spent on precision engineering if you know what I mean.

By the way I do like the MB 1120AF, it is a great old truck! Reliable and you can get spares for them everywhere.

Alloy

Tire rack and roof rack would be similar to the pipe/tube /plate used to build yachts but boxes/sheet metal is another can of worms. Laser will provice the cleanest edge for welding stainless. Router is best for aluminum.

If you've seen his sheet metal work and are happy with it then you're good to go if not get him to make a 6" cube and make sure he doesn't sand the welds off.

Spanna 53

Hey fellas these are under body boxes after 35000 kl mine are looking a bit stone pitted and the aluminium is a bit tarnished,but these can be classed as battle scars OK Ross

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94